now that's a headwind ...

Bleve

Guest
Melbourne today .. one wind and a half! Was doing laps of the
Blackburn velodrome, so at least 33% of the time it was a tailwind ...

Then, riding in to town along the Burwood Hwy, dropping down towards
Deakin and Station St - normally a 60km/h+ stretch ... 40km/h working
hard into it! Urgh!

Rode down to school with the kids. Tailwind.
Turn towards CBD. Tailwind.
Becomes lateral/side wind.
Then proceeded to take turns in tail/side/headwind every 30 seconds!
Very confusing.
I'm still getting shite outta my eyes :p

yeep - best training on a commute I've had for days (actually, its the only
commuting I've done in days).. out of 18kms I had about 300m tail wind :(

cheers,
GPLamadore

Bleve said:
Melbourne today .. one wind and a half! Was doing laps of the
Blackburn velodrome, so at least 33% of the time it was a tailwind ...

Then, riding in to town along the Burwood Hwy, dropping down towards
Deakin and Station St - normally a 60km/h+ stretch ... 40km/h working
hard into it! Urgh!
Up Blackburn Road in to a headwind. Crawled in to work.

Surprinsingly not a hugely different time.

flyingdutch said:
I'm still getting shite outta my eyes :p
My eyes were full of grit and I managed to rub out one of my contact lenses straight after the ride. This was followed by a mad panic to find some solution in the office to put it back. Ran round still in bike gear and socks trying to steal from someones desk. No dice - had to put it back in dry. That really hurt. If you see a blinking cyclist on Yarra trail tonight, that's me. I'm praying for a strong north westerly to make up for it all.

flyingdutch wrote:
> Rode down to school with the kids. Tailwind.
> Turn towards CBD. Tailwind.
> Becomes lateral/side wind.
> Then proceeded to take turns in tail/side/headwind every 30 seconds!
> Very confusing.
> I'm still getting shite outta my eyes :p

Have you been elected yet? :)

Hey sinus,

I always have a pair of cheapie 'clear lens' sunnies in my backpack for
that very reason. Seems to do the trick.

I wear them on my howeward commute (which always seems to have a
headwind) when its too dark for normal sunnies.

Cheers,
Abby

flyingdutch wrote:
> Rode down to school with the kids. Tailwind.
> Turn towards CBD. Tailwind.
> Becomes lateral/side wind.

I almost came of on the corner of Rathdowne and Queensbury, turned into
that sudden side wind which caught the box up front of the postie bike
and blew my at least twenty centimeters of my line.

sinus said:
My eyes were full of grit and I managed to rub out one of my contact lenses straight after the ride. This was followed by a mad panic to find some solution in the office to put it back. Ran round still in bike gear and socks trying to steal from someones desk. No dice - had to put it back in dry. That really hurt. If you see a blinking cyclist on Yarra trail tonight, that's me. I'm praying for a strong north westerly to make up for it all.
My dad the pharmacist said that if all else fails then clean saliva will do the trick to moisten up the lens again. I have to admit I have had to use this trick a couple of times and it isn't pleasant but it does make the lense bearable to get back into the eye.

SuzieB said:
My dad the pharmacist said that if all else fails then clean saliva will do the trick to moisten up the lens again. I have to admit I have had to use this trick a couple of times and it isn't pleasant but it does make the lense bearable to get back into the eye.

Clean saliva? There's less bacteria in plain water. As long as it hasn't turned into a starfish, just chuck it back into your eye and blink....

(for the record, I've used the old contact in the shot glass trick on a number of occassions, it works and it beats leaving them in).

Bleve said:
Melbourne today .. one wind and a half! Was doing laps of the
Blackburn velodrome, so at least 33% of the time it was a tailwind ...

Then, riding in to town along the Burwood Hwy, dropping down towards
Deakin and Station St - normally a 60km/h+ stretch ... 40km/h working
hard into it! Urgh!

I certainly noticed the wind on my commute (South South Melbourne to North South Melbourne).

On 2005-10-26, Absent Husband <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hey sinus,
>
> I always have a pair of cheapie 'clear lens' sunnies in my backpack for
> that very reason. Seems to do the trick.

That's why I have a pair of yellow tinted lenses. The contrast
improvement around dusk is just a fringe benefit.

On 2005-10-26, SuzieB <[email protected]> wrote:
> My dad the pharmacist said that if all else fails then clean saliva
> will do the trick to moisten up the lens again. I have to admit I have
> had to use this trick a couple of times and it isn't pleasant but it
> does make the lense bearable to get back into the eye.

You couldn't pay me enough to do that. I probably should get myself a
can of saline for the office to cover this eventuality. It's not all
that expensive, either ... I think a large pressurised can (nitrogen
propellant, btw) costs about five bucks, from memory.

Bleve said:
Melbourne today .. one wind and a half! Was doing laps of the
Blackburn velodrome, so at least 33% of the time it was a tailwind ...

Then, riding in to town along the Burwood Hwy, dropping down towards
Deakin and Station St - normally a 60km/h+ stretch ... 40km/h working
hard into it! Urgh!
had a recovery ride down to Frankston and back, from the weekend, knew I was in trouble, on the way down, hitting speeds of 50+ kph on flat sections of road, thinking oh yeah..... was the first time I had ridden in a wind like that on the carbones, man, now that was scary, my wheels were like parachutes, especially on the gusts.... but made it back unscathed.... *phew*

MikeyOz wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> > Melbourne today .. one wind and a half! Was doing laps of the
> > Blackburn velodrome, so at least 33% of the time it was a tailwind ...
> >
> > Then, riding in to town along the Burwood Hwy, dropping down towards
> > Deakin and Station St - normally a 60km/h+ stretch ... 40km/h working
> > hard into it! Urgh!

> had a recovery ride down to Frankston and back, from the weekend, knew
> I was in trouble, on the way down, hitting speeds of 50+ kph on flat
> sections of road, thinking oh yeah..... was the first time I had ridden
> in a wind like that on the carbones, man, now that was scary, my wheels
> were like parachutes, especially on the gusts.... but made it back
> unscathed.... *phew*

I'm leaving southwank at ~4pm and riding to Frankston & back .. hope
it's died down by then! This is supposed to be base miles, not SE
efforts!

Absent Husband said:
Hey sinus,

I always have a pair of cheapie 'clear lens' sunnies in my backpack for
that very reason. Seems to do the trick.

I wear them on my howeward commute (which always seems to have a
headwind) when its too dark for normal sunnies.

Cheers,
Abby
I was wearing sunnies at the time - quite close fitting ones too that not much can get around. it was just a really swirling, gusting wind.

I popped it back second attempt while someone went a got me some saline from a chemist. By the time he was back it felt OK but I still rinsed it and the eye.

Shabby said:
Clean saliva? There's less bacteria in plain water.
And apart from making the hairs on my neck stand up at the thought, my mouth was also full of grit from the wind :-0.

Running a MTB with 60.5 gear inches single speed, I say bring on the head wind ! :p

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Melbourne today .. one wind and a half! Was doing laps of the
> Blackburn velodrome, so at least 33% of the time it was a tailwind ...
>
> Then, riding in to town along the Burwood Hwy, dropping down towards
> Deakin and Station St - normally a 60km/h+ stretch ... 40km/h working
> hard into it! Urgh!

Don't you mean tailwind??? I left home at about 0610h this morning on the
road bike and had a massive tailwind all the way down Heidelberg road. I
was sitting on 45km/h on the flats and I was hardly pedalling. I hit 73km/h
down the hill past Ivanhoe Cycles where I usually only hit about 60 or so!!

I got on the bike for the trip home at about 4pm and was very happy when I
had another tailwind for the trip home!!! Was pretty good right up until I
hit the bottom of the hill to Ivanhoe cycles again when it started to ****
down with rain. I stopped off at Ivanhoe cycles to get out of the rain for
a while and to check out a couple of bikes. I have a cunning plan to get
myself a dual suspension XC bike for enduros......the only thing left in the
way is somehow keeping it a secret from the missus - maybe I could just
blend it in with all the other bikes in the shed......."Yes hon, I have
always had that bike....it just looks new because I washed it"

Came back outside....rain had stopped but road was wet enough to throw up a
bit of water but not enough to get too upset over. All in all it was a
great day of commuting for me.

Ride On,

Gags

On 2005-10-26, Gags (aka Bruce)
> "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Then, riding in to town along the Burwood Hwy, dropping down towards
>> Deakin and Station St - normally a 60km/h+ stretch ... 40km/h working
>> hard into it! Urgh!
>>

> Don't you mean tailwind??? I left home at about 0610h this morning on the
> road bike and had a massive tailwind all the way down Heidelberg road. I
> was sitting on 45km/h on the flats and I was hardly pedalling. I hit 73km/h
> down the hill past Ivanhoe Cycles where I usually only hit about 60 or so!!
>
> I got on the bike for the trip home at about 4pm and was very happy when I
> had another tailwind for the trip home!!!

I hate bastards who live north of the city. The damn city was built
with north bound cyclists in mind, but I live down here in bogan
central.

--
TimC
About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a