Now this woman really knows how to ride a bike.

Roger Thorpe wrote:
> This is a sort of postscript to the great balancing and steering debate.
> Several completely impossible things are demonstrated here
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScYaiYhDT4

Notice the lack of offset (rake) on the forks. This increases the trail,
which makes the bike very stable (it effectively steers itself without
external steering input). A bike like this it would steer itself to remain
upright while moving even with no rider.

Anthony

Tosspot wrote:
> Roger Thorpe wrote:
>> This is a sort of postscript to the great balancing and steering debate.
>> Several completely impossible things are demonstrated here
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScYaiYhDT4

> Doesn't count. It's a fixie.
>
> Notice the forks?

Oh, now you mention those couple of points I see it would be really easy
for any of us to do that little lot given the same bike! ;-/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

in message <[email protected]>, Anthony
Jones ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Roger Thorpe wrote:
>> This is a sort of postscript to the great balancing and steering debate.
>> Several completely impossible things are demonstrated here
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScYaiYhDT4

> Notice the lack of offset (rake) on the forks. This increases the trail,
> which makes the bike very stable (it effectively steers itself without
> external steering input). A bike like this it would steer itself to
> remain upright while moving even with no rider.

She's still a phenomenal cyclist.

;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
;; Jim Morrison

Simon Brooke wrote:
> She's still a phenomenal cyclist.

Indeed she is, although not quite as impressive, IMO, as this young lady:
<url:http://youtube.com/watch?v=9xuUzuklkoU&mode=related&search=>

Simon Brooke wrote:
>> Notice the lack of offset (rake) on the forks. This increases the trail,
>> which makes the bike very stable (it effectively steers itself without
>> external steering input). A bike like this it would steer itself to
>> remain upright while moving even with no rider.

> She's still a phenomenal cyclist.

Without a doubt. Just trying to clear up some of the physics before another
steering debate starts! :)

Anthony

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Tosspot wrote:
>> Roger Thorpe wrote:
>>> This is a sort of postscript to the great balancing and steering debate.
>>> Several completely impossible things are demonstrated here
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScYaiYhDT4

>> Doesn't count. It's a fixie.
>>
>> Notice the forks?

> Oh, now you mention those couple of points I see it would be really easy
> for any of us to do that little lot given the same bike! ;-/

I'm afraid I couldn't do it without some practice first.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

On Mar 15, 12:04 am, Roger Thorpe
<[email protected]> wrote:
> This is a sort of postscript to the great balancing and steering debate.
> Several completely impossible things are demonstrated herehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScYaiYhDT4

Very impressive, but I note that one thing that even she did not
attempt is balancing a bike by simply moving her CoG from side to side
without any steering movements. There were only the briefest of pauses
as she changed direction into and out of reverse.

James

"Roger Thorpe" <[email protected]> wrote

> This is a sort of postscript to the great balancing and steering debate.
> Several completely impossible things are demonstrated here
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScYaiYhDT4

I saw the Chinese state circus perform a few years ago. More remarkable
than seeing one lady doing this is to see several ladies doing it in a
smaller space.

I was equally impressed with what they could do with a piece of string and
a diabolo.

in message <[email protected]>, Danny
Colyer ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> She's still a phenomenal cyclist.

> Indeed she is, although not quite as impressive, IMO, as this young lady:
> <url:http://youtube.com/watch?v=9xuUzuklkoU&mode=related&search=>

Or for total (very skilled) lunacy,

<URL:http://youtube.com/watch?v=o-3-IhSkeYc>

;; First they came for the asylum seekers,
;; and I did not speak out because I was not an asylum seeker.
;; Then they came for the gypsies,
;; and I did not speak out because I was not a gypsy...
;; Pastor Martin Niemöller, translated by Michael Howard.

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> She's still a phenomenal cyclist.

> Indeed she is, although not quite as impressive, IMO, as this young lady:
> <url:http://youtube.com/watch?v=9xuUzuklkoU&mode=related&search=>

She fell off twice. Rubbish! (not...)

Pete.
--

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> She's still a phenomenal cyclist.

> Indeed she is, although not quite as impressive, IMO, as this young lady:
> <url:http://youtube.com/watch?v=9xuUzuklkoU&mode=related&search=>

Blimey! That is much artistic, and despite having seen it I can't
believe that you can freewheel like that on a unicycle.
And I used to be so pleased with myself for being able to
track-stand..............

If you're of a certain age you might remember that trick cyclists were a
regular feature of variety shows on the box. Paper tearing too.
--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> She's still a phenomenal cyclist.

> Indeed she is, although not quite as impressive, IMO, as this young lady:
> <url:http://youtube.com/watch?v=9xuUzuklkoU&mode=related&search=>

Nice. If anyone gets a chance, the Chinese State Circus that does
regular tours is well worth a look. I saw something similar to the
opening of this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U10IWU_XDPk&mode=related&search=

Except the young lady had the unicycle balanced on a large beach ball at
the same time! She also put the soup spoon in the pile of soup bowls at
the end. Very impressive in real life.

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:47:16 +0000, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Danny
> Colyer ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Indeed she is, although not quite as impressive, IMO, as this young lady:
> > <url:http://youtube.com/watch?v=9xuUzuklkoU&mode=related&search=>

> Or for total (very skilled) lunacy,
> <URL:http://youtube.com/watch?v=o-3-IhSkeYc>

The dancer gets my vote, by a long way.

I can't do most of the stuff in either video, but the trials stuff is
at least stuff I think I could do if I practised hard enough - I can
hop on and off things, and across a gap, and ride a rail. I can't do
anything like those heights or distances, but I can do a similar
move.

The dance however - there's things in that I can't even dream of how
to do. I've seen it before, and it's just stunning every time I see
it. There's moves that just shouldn't be possible.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

> > Doesn't count. It's a fixie.

> > Notice the forks?

> Oh, now you mention those couple of points I see it would be really easy
> for any of us to do that little lot given the same bike! ;-/

I'll grant you, she seems to have picked it up quite well.. A few
points;

No endos.
No bunny-hops.
No skid-stops..
...and no clipless pedals.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Danny
>Colyer ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Simon Brooke wrote:
>>> She's still a phenomenal cyclist.

>> Indeed she is, although not quite as impressive, IMO, as this young lady:
>> <url:http://youtube.com/watch?v=9xuUzuklkoU&mode=related&search=>

>Or for total (very skilled) lunacy,
>
><URL:http://youtube.com/watch?v=o-3-IhSkeYc>

That's a sort of uni-cycle parkour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=963cwe6bcQk&mode=related&search=

"DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote
> I saw the Chinese state circus perform a few years ago. More remarkable
> than seeing one lady doing this is to see several ladies doing it in a
> smaller space.

Yeah, often piled on top of each other

Roger Thorpe wrote:
> This is a sort of postscript to the great balancing and steering debate.
> Several completely impossible things are demonstrated here
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScYaiYhDT4

On which subject, anyone here remomber a pair of *superb* street
performers calling themselves Haggis and Charlie? The unicycles
(about 7 feet high) were but one part of their act. Juggling
eight flaming firebrands or sharp knives whilst on said unicycles
would've been impressive enough. But the crowning glory was that
it was never just the impressive acts: they were an act as smooth
as any comic double-act!

My memory of them is from around 20 years ago in central Bath.

--
not me guv

in message <[email protected]>, Nick Kew
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Roger Thorpe wrote:
>> This is a sort of postscript to the great balancing and steering debate.
>> Several completely impossible things are demonstrated here
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScYaiYhDT4

> On which subject, anyone here remomber a pair of *superb* street
> performers calling themselves Haggis and Charlie? The unicycles
> (about 7 feet high) were but one part of their act. Juggling
> eight flaming firebrands or sharp knives whilst on said unicycles
> would've been impressive enough. But the crowning glory was that
> it was never just the impressive acts: they were an act as smooth
> as any comic double-act!
>
> My memory of them is from around 20 years ago in central Bath.

I've seen them in Edinburgh - yes, a very slick and impressive (and
amusing) act.

;; making jokes about dyslexia isn't big, it isn't clever and
;; it isn't furry.