Now this woman really knows how to ride a bike.

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> On which subject, anyone here remomber a pair of *superb*
> street performers calling themselves Haggis and Charlie?
> The unicycles (about 7 feet high) were but one part of their act.
> Juggling eight flaming firebrands or sharp knives whilst on said
> unicycles would've been impressive enough. But the crowning
> glory was that it was never just the impressive acts: they were
> an act as smooth as any comic double-act!

> My memory of them is from around 20 years ago in central Bath.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis_and_Charlie

I also saw them in 1987 near the Pump Rooms in Bath. How time flies!

James Thomson

Nick Kew wrote:
> On which subject, anyone here remomber a pair of *superb* street
> performers calling themselves Haggis and Charlie? The unicycles
> (about 7 feet high) were but one part of their act. Juggling
> eight flaming firebrands or sharp knives whilst on said unicycles
> would've been impressive enough. But the crowning glory was that
> it was never just the impressive acts: they were an act as smooth
> as any comic double-act!

I know Haggis and Charlie. They were regulars at the Bath juggling club
at the same time that I was. I don't think I've seen them together for
a while, but I usually see one or the other at either the British
Juggling Convention [1] or the Bristol convention. I don't believe they
perform together any longer.

IIRC their unicycles were 6', though a general rule of street
entertainment is to exaggerate the size of a giraffe when describing it
to the audience. Hence a 5' giraffe becomes "The 10' Unicycle of
Death", and at least some of the audience will go away believing that
the performer rode a 10' unicycle.

The routine they're most famous for is the one where Haggis juggles 5
balls while Charlie stands on a suitcase behind him picking balls out of
the pattern, swapping them over and dropping them back in. It's a
routine that's been copied by a lot of acts, but Haggis and Charlie have
always done it best.

BTW, Charlie's books are excellent:
http://tinyurl.com/2f2qe9
http://tinyurl.com/22gxd3
http://tinyurl.com/ywfkjd

and Haggis' book is good for a laugh by comparison (and a worthwhile
addition to a juggling library):
http://tinyurl.com/24x5be

[1] http://www.bjc2007.co.uk/

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

On 20/03/07 Nick Kew wrote:
> On which subject, anyone here remomber a pair of *superb* street
> performers calling themselves Haggis and Charlie?

There's an interview with Charlie here:
<http://www.lukeburrage.com/audio/Juggling%20Podcast%2019%20-%20Charlie%20Dancey%20Interview.mp3>

I found it quite interesting.