Now, Time for the $5,000 bike -- which one?

Ashley3 said:
It's a safe bet I won't have bought anything by Wednesday!

Please let me know how you like the Six13, and I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who hasn't responded or additional thoughts from those who have.
Thanks again to all.

Yes, I sure will, although it's true when everyone said you should ride all the Bikes you can, I didn't, I just didn't have the time...I want a Bike I wouldn't have to upgrade, I'll never race, I just love riding...

Other Bikes I considered were the Argon 18, Scott CR-1 and Kestrel Talon sl or Evoke....oh, and I did ride a Felt F-15....also quite nice....

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes....

Have fun shopping around!!

Shredpirate said:
I suggest going to http://www.competitivecyclist.com/

You might want to the check out the closeout sections for each brand. If I were in your situation I'd consider purchasing a Colnago or LOOK w/ high end campy :D

Wow, that's a web address than can leave your head spinning. And it leads me to a question that isn't meant to sound factitious. I suppose it is a question that could be just as well asked about cars or boats or skis or million-dollar CEOs. The Pinarello Dogma Ego is a beautiful machine. What about it makes it worth $16,250?
Serious question, humbly asked. I can understand the difference in quality between my current bike and some of those which we're discussing on this thread, but I don't see how a qualitative difference could make the Dogma Ego worth four times more than, say, a Madone 5.9 with Campy Records.

I'm with the posts that say go custom. You can get a Waterford or Gunnar both custom (made to measure). If you check their websites, you can even find a local dealer who can let you test ride some stock models and give support after the sale, etc. etc.

Ashley3 said:
Wow, that's a web address than can leave your head spinning. And it leads me to a question that isn't meant to sound factitious. I suppose it is a question that could be just as well asked about cars or boats or skis or million-dollar CEOs. The Pinarello Dogma Ego is a beautiful machine. What about it makes it worth $16,250?
Serious question, humbly asked. I can understand the difference in quality between my current bike and some of those which we're discussing on this thread, but I don't see how a qualitative difference could make the Dogma Ego worth four times more than, say, a Madone 5.9 with Campy Records.
Larry Ellison and Bill Gates need bikes too. You don't think they would be caught dead on a commoner's bike do you? :D

I agree with looking at alternative brands....

And you can start looking abroad as well - see how far your money can go.

I just bought a custom SOUL titanium bike, (US$3340) , and am loving it. OK so my friend is the owner, and he's just starting out, but hear me out - you won't regret it:

The Progeny frame is 3A/2.5V SEAMLESS Titanium, custom fit for you
The Handlebar, Fork, SeatPost, Stem, Cranks are full Carbon Ameoba SCUD
The Wheels are SOUL semi deep Alu
The Groupset is Campy Chorus
Seat (my own San Marco ti SKD)

Weight in total - 7.8KG
COST (5500Singapore dollars = approx 3340USD)
They can export.

You could import the bike and save a bundle. Try their web site for details.

www.bikesoul.com

I really stuggled whether to by from my own friend, afterall the business he founded is new - unproven. So I am not swearing blind loyalty, honestly. But the results are superb, and so giving the little guy a fair go can be quite satisfying. Am sure MOOTS and SALSA started the same way.

Make sure to try a Time frame. For your budget a VXR should make you very, very happy.

mikem said:
Five G's...? Agree with some others, go custom.

Love my www.sevencycles.com - but lots of choose from - Serrotta, IF, etc.

The Sevens are beautiful, and they have that look that says, if you have to ask you can't afford one, but what's the price range?

Jaguar27 said:
Hi Ashley3...If you wait untill wednesday evening I'll let you know what a Six13 Rides like...it will be delivered on Tuesday...

I bought the Team Replica version.

Jaguar27,

It's Friday. Have you been riding since Tuesday? Can't get off the bike?
What's the verdict?

Well, you're not gonna believe this, the Bike came in on Tuesday evening, I stopped by to see it with the wheels and Bars on...

Then, apparently, the two adjustment gadgets were missing, the LBS didn't have any spare ones...and no Record equipped Bikes in the store, so they didn't come in untill today (Friday)...

BUT, what I CAN tell you is that the Bike is silly light...it's a Saffron Frame and looks beautifull...

The LBS called me this evening to ask whether I wanted the K-Wing's wrapped all the way or half way, the Carbon looks so nice with the graphics that I just asked for a half wrap leaving the flats bare...

Sooooo, 7am in the morning will be my first ride, it's a group ride at the LBS...25-30 miles...not a good way to break-in and get used to a new Bike by any means...but it will be a good excuse if I get dropped...(I mean WHEN I get dropped)

So I'll deffinately let you know how it goes...

Oh, I'm having a Mavic Wintech Pooter installed on it too...should be staring back at me in the morning...I've heard good and bad on these..the re-fresh rate isn't that good plus the mounting is supposed to be crappy..two tie-wraps..BUT the transmitter is built into the skewer...no wires...so I'll let everyone know how THAT goes too...

Anyway, wish me luck and stay tuned...if you have any specific questions afterwards I'll pay special attention and try and answer them for you...

Cheers then!!

Ashley3 said:
Jaguar27,

What's the verdict?

DiabloScott said:
When you spend that much, you have to be concerned about your image. You will be presenting yourself as someone who could have any bike he chooses and lesser riders will look to you for their future selections as well. The roads are full of Trek posers on Madones and 5900's - fine bikes but those guys get laughed at. Don't go for anything that has some quirky feature like wavy fork blades or no seat tube - you'll come off as a geek. You want to show the world you're a real rider - someone who values form over substance but has the kind of style that never becomes obselete. You want the kind of bike that turns the heads of REAL riders, not wannabees.

If you're a traditionalist - Bianchi, Pinarello, Merckx (avoid garish paint jobs)
If you're a climber - Scott CR-1, Klein Q-pro XX
If you're an artist - Merlin Cielo
If you're a Ti fan - DEAN, Moots

Please don't make this decision lightly. I am available for future consultation.

DiabloScott said:
When you spend that much, you have to be concerned about how the bike fits you. You will be making a big purchase and want to be happy with it. presenting yourself as someone who loves there sport.could have any bike! he chooses the won that fits his riding style and does not care what others think.lesser riders will look to you for their future selections as well. The roads are full of Trek riders on Madones and 5900's - fine bikes but those guys kick ass. You want to show YOURSELF you're a real rider - someone who values form over substance but has the kind of style that never becomes obselete. You want the kind of bike that ONLY YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH!!!!

Thank you....... that makes more sense, now your not sucha jackass as you are in the club rides.

Get a mondonico Foco. you will never even THINK of getting a different bike after you ride it once.

Ashley3 said:
The Sevens are beautiful, and they have that look that says, if you have to ask you can't afford one, but what's the price range?

My Axiom frame is just under $3k. Another $2k or so for parts and you'll have a perfect CUSTOM ride - nothing better and you'll have Brain Bling to show off, not just another "bike like Lance has".

You can do a custom steel from them for just under $2k.

Frankly, best $3k I've ever spent on anything. The welds, shape and ride are amazing, they met every criteria I asked for (stiff bottom end for climbing, flex top for comfort).

Well, I finally rode my Six13 today, my first ride wasn't under ideal conditions as it was an LBS Group ride...I'd never ridden it before and only had time to roughly dial the saddle height in as everyone was waiting...
Anyway, It felt OK in the Parking lot but turned out to be a Tad low...which didn't become apparent untill 2 miles into the ride, and no allen wrench..

Anyway, I did take out out for a 10 mile run later today and dialed it in...it's amazing how a few mm's can make a world of difference isn't it?

As I mentioned before, it's the Team Replica, Campy 10 Ultra equipped...which was my first ride on a Campy Bike too...It's been quite a Day...

My initial thoughts, even though the bike wasn't quite dialed in, is that this is deffinately the perfect Bike for me, no doubt about it, and it felt even better this afternoon on my second ride...the first was a 26 miler through Canyons..lots of loooooong Climbs and looooong fast descents...the second was on a local Bike trail...perfect for getting on and off the bike and doing some fine adjustments...

Acceleration is phenomenal, clip-in, stand on the pedal and it feels like the Bike wants to take off from under you...clip in the second cleat and start cranking and it just glides away...the six13 is ultra smooth, incredibly smooth in fact...did I mention how smooth the ride is?
I caught myself glancing down and sideways at my tires en route, it felt like the Tires were almost flat...but nope...they still appeared to have the 120psi they started with...it feels kinda wierd at first, but really nice...kinda like riding with MTB tires at 30 psi minus the drag...I guess??

Looking at the computer afterwards I had a max speed of 34mph...and I must admit, the front did feel kinda whipy on some descents...nothing excessive...not nerve racking...just not as tight as I'd expect for a $5900 Bike...

One thing I've always had a problem with is aching hands and sometimes numbness...I never had any kind of problem today, the K-Wing Bars are awesome, nice ergonomic places for the front Paws...the flats are in fact FLAT and at a perfect angle, even when my Lungs were burning and my legs were about to burst on some of the long climbs today, my hands were making the most of their new found comfort...in fact, my hands were laughing at my Legs...

So, to sum it all up, I find the six13 to be the swiss army knife of Bikes for me, great on climbs, smooth and rough surfaces...very very comfy, a perfect all-day Bike for me...

Of course, you need to ride one...if you like the ride of a Cannondale, as I do, you'll love the six13!!

Oh, and it took me 3 minutes to feel at Home with the Campy Record Ultra 10's...I especially like the way one can change up multiple cogs in one go...
The Carbon Fiber Brake levers, front and rear Durallieurs etc also complement the rest of the Bike...

Ashley3 said:
Jaguar27,

What's the verdict?

Orbea Orca is nice. Not quite five grand, but hey, you can buy two of them and give me one. :p Just kidding.

Being a passionate casual bicyclist over 50 and having gotten a windfall I recently put my order in for my dream bike. I'm spending a bit shy of $6K on a full custom Calfee Tetra Pro carbon-frame bicycle. I've got it spec'd out to be a great stable road bike that will be bulletproof for me. I don't care about it being a weight weenie, but it's going to weigh in less than 16 lbs fully equipped.

Now the main reasons for buying such an expensive bike: my body shape is such that no stock frame can be fitted on me without a lot of compromise. My current ride is a Giant OCR2 2003 with a very short stem with a rise and a lot of spacers. The reach is still a bit long for me on the 54 cm frame, yet my seat post is near it's maximum height and my seat is set forward just so my legs are positioned on the cranks correctly and my reach isn't too long. My weight balance is too much on the front wheel, though, compromising stability. I am getting a custom frame with the tube angles and lengths so that I have sufficient leg extension and angle plus my reach is within my natural range without having to resort to a tall stack height. My body weight will be centered between the wheels. The Calfee will be the first bike in my life that properly fits my body. Every other bike I've ever had has been a compromise as far as fit is concerned.

There are other reasons I chose the Calfee. For one thing I like carbon. I like the fact it's stiff, light and repairable. I like the high-tech look of it. I also know it's a very high quality frame. I happen to trust my local bike shop guy completely. He's given me great advice and service and goes the extra mile to make sure I'll be happy with this purchase. He knows how I ride and what I like about cycling.

I realize I'm being too wordy here. Just know that for me, a bike that's in this price range is a dream bike for me. I would think it would be so for most other folks as well. :)

Insight Driver said:
Being a passionate casual bicyclist over 50 and having gotten a windfall I recently put my order in for my dream bike. I'm spending a bit shy of $6K on a full custom Calfee Tetra Pro carbon-frame bicycle. I've got it spec'd out to be a great stable road bike that will be bulletproof for me. I don't care about it being a weight weenie, but it's going to weigh in less than 16 lbs fully equipped.

Now the main reasons for buying such an expensive bike: my body shape is such that no stock frame can be fitted on me without a lot of compromise. My current ride is a Giant OCR2 2003 with a very short stem with a rise and a lot of spacers. The reach is still a bit long for me on the 54 cm frame, yet my seat post is near it's maximum height and my seat is set forward just so my legs are positioned on the cranks correctly and my reach isn't too long. My weight balance is too much on the front wheel, though, compromising stability. I am getting a custom frame with the tube angles and lengths so that I have sufficient leg extension and angle plus my reach is within my natural range without having to resort to a tall stack height. My body weight will be centered between the wheels. The Calfee will be the first bike in my life that properly fits my body. Every other bike I've ever had has been a compromise as far as fit is concerned.

There are other reasons I chose the Calfee. For one thing I like carbon. I like the fact it's stiff, light and repairable. I like the high-tech look of it. I also know it's a very high quality frame. I happen to trust my local bike shop guy completely. He's given me great advice and service and goes the extra mile to make sure I'll be happy with this purchase. He knows how I ride and what I like about cycling.

I realize I'm being too wordy here. Just know that for me, a bike that's in this price range is a dream bike for me. I would think it would be so for most other folks as well. :)
I agree.. when you get in this kind of expense, its a pure egotistic trip. You buy this type of machine for one person only, you.. you should not care about what other think. Calfee is definately in that stream, plus the 25 yrs waranty is a bit unusual for CF. I have never seen them in CND but read many good things about them, I am sure you will be very happy
I am currently building a TI frame from a small CZ cie (Morati sc1.3) with the same intention ..

But pls don't be another Trek guy .. I am getting sick of them .. for 5K you think you would like something special.. Trek are for lazzy people that don't read and just want a good mass produced frame .. nothing wrong, just too common

DiabloScott said:
When you spend that much, you have to be concerned about your image. You will be presenting yourself as someone who could have any bike he chooses and lesser riders will look to you for their future selections as well. The roads are full of Trek posers on Madones and 5900's - fine bikes but those guys get laughed at. Don't go for anything that has some quirky feature like wavy fork blades or no seat tube - you'll come off as a geek. You want to show the world you're a real rider - someone who values form over substance but has the kind of style that never becomes obselete. You want the kind of bike that turns the heads of REAL riders, not wannabees.

If you're a traditionalist - Bianchi, Pinarello, Merckx (avoid garish paint jobs)
If you're a climber - Scott CR-1, Klein Q-pro XX
If you're an artist - Merlin Cielo
If you're a Ti fan - DEAN, Moots

Please don't make this decision lightly. I am available for future consultation.
Have just started saving for my next bike, have always bought ready to go bikes but this time i'm going to do it right. Am going to Terry Dolan (built bikes for the Uk team a while back) for a measure up service and am gonna get this wee beastie http://www.bikes-dolan.uk.com/en-us/dept_22.html with Dura-Ace 10spd and all the trimmings. Nice chrimbo present for this year.... In the meantime my Specialized Allez and Ultegra 9spd will have to do.

Hey man, the bike looks nice, no doubt, but then many do at that price. But I have to ask - why all the fuss? What exactly is the value add from Dolan? As far as I know, the carbon tubing is from Dedeccai, and they sell this as a kit. You can buy it yourself. So buy it, cut it size, glue it. thats it. OK you need tools and know how - but its not black magic. Or is it? Is there something special about the geometry of the Dolan? I'm no expert honestly, so please tell me why would you pay 1500pounds sterling for this f(rame and forks only)? It just seems a little steep.

leegregory said:
Have just started saving for my next bike, have always bought ready to go bikes but this time i'm going to do it right. Am going to Terry Dolan (built bikes for the Uk team a while back) for a measure up service and am gonna get this wee beastie http://www.bikes-dolan.uk.com/en-us/dept_22.html with Dura-Ace 10spd and all the trimmings. Nice chrimbo present for this year.... In the meantime my Specialized Allez and Ultegra 9spd will have to do.