Now we can all be pilots

Tony Raven

Guest
From the BBC News report on the A380 superjumbo maiden flight:

Jacques Rosay, who flew the A380 during take-off, said the plane behaved
"immaculately" and that as a pilot "you handle it like you handle a
bicycle".

He didn't say whether he was wearing a helmet or had a bell fitted at
the time.

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

Tony Raven wrote:
> From the BBC News report on the A380 superjumbo maiden flight:

> Jacques Rosay, who flew the A380 during take-off, said the plane
> behaved "immaculately" and that as a pilot "you handle it like you
> handle a bicycle".

You initiate the turn by counter-steering?

--
Dave...

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:09:03 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:
> From the BBC News report on the A380 superjumbo maiden flight:

> Jacques Rosay, who flew the A380 during take-off, said the plane behaved
> "immaculately" and that as a pilot "you handle it like you handle a
> bicycle".
>
> He didn't say whether he was wearing a helmet or had a bell fitted at
> the time.

It's a new aircraft so would have had to have a bell. Pedalling it must
have been a *******, though!

--
Trevor Barton

Trevor Barton wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:09:03 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> From the BBC News report on the A380 superjumbo maiden flight:
>>
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4488361.stm
>>
>>Jacques Rosay, who flew the A380 during take-off, said the plane behaved
>>"immaculately" and that as a pilot "you handle it like you handle a
>>bicycle".
>>
>>He didn't say whether he was wearing a helmet or had a bell fitted at
>>the time.

> It's a new aircraft so would have had to have a bell. Pedalling it must
> have been a *******, though!

Particularly with such low tyre pressures. :)

R.

Trevor Barton wrote:

> It's a new aircraft so would have had to have a bell. Pedalling it must
> have been a *******, though!

That's why it has room for 800 pedalling passengers ;-)

--

Tony Raven wrote:

> That's why it has room for 800 pedalling passengers ;-)

Inna recumbent stylee?

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>

>>That's why it has room for 800 pedalling passengers ;-)

> Inna recumbent stylee?

Only in Business class. They get the titanium Crank Bros pedals too.
Economy are on uprights with Wellgos.

Colin

dkahn400 wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>

>>That's why it has room for 800 pedalling passengers ;-)

> Inna recumbent stylee?

More in a tandem stoker stylee. Bolt upright with your face pressed
against the back of the person in front ;-)

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:16:40 +0100, Richard
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Trevor Barton wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:09:03 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:
>>
>>> From the BBC News report on the A380 superjumbo maiden flight:
>>>
>>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4488361.stm
>>>
>>>Jacques Rosay, who flew the A380 during take-off, said the plane behaved
>>>"immaculately" and that as a pilot "you handle it like you handle a
>>>bicycle".
>>>
>>>He didn't say whether he was wearing a helmet or had a bell fitted at
>>>the time.

>> It's a new aircraft so would have had to have a bell. Pedalling it must
>> have been a *******, though!

>Particularly with such low tyre pressures. :)
>
>R.

Tyre pressure in the A380's tyres is about 190 psi.

a) Top posting.
q) What's the worst thing about UseNet?

In message <[email protected]>
Trevor Barton <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:09:03 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:
> > From the BBC News report on the A380 superjumbo maiden flight:
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4488361.stm
> >
> > Jacques Rosay, who flew the A380 during take-off, said the plane behaved
> > "immaculately" and that as a pilot "you handle it like you handle a
> > bicycle".
> >
> > He didn't say whether he was wearing a helmet or had a bell fitted at
> > the time.

> It's a new aircraft so would have had to have a bell. Pedalling it must
> have been a *******, though!

Pictures showed the pilot wearing a h*lm*t, and he also wore a paracute.

From pictures of the plane, it appears to have four big horns handing from
the wings. Looks like he must of visited www.PimpUpYourPlane.co.fr

As for peddling, surely the pilot did a bunny hop as well, so he only needed
to peddle for a minute or so.

Martin.

--
According to the human genome project, humans are 50-60% bananas.
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

> From the BBC News report on the A380 superjumbo maiden flight:

> Jacques Rosay, who flew the A380 during take-off, said the plane behaved
> "immaculately" and that as a pilot "you handle it like you handle a
> bicycle".

On t'new today when the thing was on the runway for take-off. it was said
that the pilot uses a keyboard to fly it - all computerised. My bikes don't
have keyboards ;-)

Cheers, helen s

> He didn't say whether he was wearing a helmet or had a bell fitted at the
> time.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:13:19 +0100, "wafflycat" <wafflesATv21netDOTcoDOTuk>
wrote:

>On t'new today when the thing was on the runway for take-off. it was said
>that the pilot uses a keyboard to fly it - all computerised. My bikes don't
>have keyboards ;-)

Oh, you must have one of those cheapo £800 'budget' models.

wafflycat wrote:

> On t'new today when the thing was on the runway for take-off. it was
> said that the pilot uses a keyboard to fly it - all computerised. My
> bikes don't have keyboards ;-)

Mine has had a keyboard on a couple of occasions. Infrared one, to be
precise, to the PC which was a couple of metres away. Not that I'm a
net addict or anything.

And the bike was clamped into the turbo. Obviously :)

I quickly discovered that if you're doing it properly there's little
energy left for poncing about with a keyboard, and if you're not doing
it properly there's no point pretending you are :)

--

Velvet

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:11:55 -0700, dkahn400 wrote:

> You initiate the turn by counter-steering?

Yup. Google for "Aileron reversal" At Mach numbers greater than even
Eddy Merckx could achieve though.

Mike

"Paul D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:13:19 +0100, "wafflycat"
> <wafflesATv21netDOTcoDOTuk>
> wrote:
>
>>On t'new today when the thing was on the runway for take-off. it was said
>>that the pilot uses a keyboard to fly it - all computerised. My bikes
>>don't
>>have keyboards ;-)

> Oh, you must have one of those cheapo £800 'budget' models.

Now you mention it ;-)

Cheers, helen s