Now why haven't they thought of this?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Squid-In-Traini, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Directional road tires?! They could make so much money off of directional road tires because of the
    posers! They wouldn't know the difference. In fact, they should put a big red arrow embedded in the
    tread in the direction of travel. And they should make the tires identical, just put one in a box
    labeled "rear" and one labeled "front." And then split that line in two again by saying one group is
    for wet weather and another's for dry weather.

    Then make another studded tire brand line with a claim that "the Red Arrow Studmuffin tire has
    harder rubber on it, outlasting studded tires and giving better traction than Nokians!"

    Then you can produce another line called "Red Arrow Invisilites" that are the same tire but have
    invisible knobbies for cyclocross!

    Damn the possibilities are endless!!! Too bad nobody would be able to sell MTB tires this way, cuz
    we're too smart for that. Anyone have office space and a bit of investment capital? Hmm.. maybe I
    can finance this with when my huffy sells... C'mon, who's in?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Tags:

  2. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Put me down for 10...

    Danny

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Directional road tires?! They could make so much money off of directional road tires because of
    > the posers! They wouldn't know the difference. In fact, they should put a big red arrow embedded
    > in the tread in the
    direction
    > of travel. And they should make the tires identical, just put one in a
    box
    > labeled "rear" and one labeled "front." And then split that line in two again by saying one group
    > is for wet weather and another's for dry
    weather.

    > Then make another studded tire brand line with a claim that "the Red Arrow Studmuffin tire has
    > harder rubber on it, outlasting studded tires and
    giving
    > better traction than Nokians!"
    >
    > Then you can produce another line called "Red Arrow Invisilites" that are the same tire but have
    > invisible knobbies for cyclocross!
    >
    > Damn the possibilities are endless!!! Too bad nobody would be able to
    sell
    > MTB tires this way, cuz we're too smart for that. Anyone have office
    space
    > and a bit of investment capital? Hmm.. maybe I can finance this with when my huffy sells... C'mon,
    > who's in?
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    <snip scheme>

    Why you little, conniving, ... !

    -John Morgan

  4. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Directional road tires exist now...

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Directional road tires?! They could make so much money off of directional road tires because of
    > the posers! They wouldn't know the difference. In fact, they should put a big red arrow embedded
    > in the tread in the
    direction
    > of travel. And they should make the tires identical, just put one in a
    box
    > labeled "rear" and one labeled "front." And then split that line in two again by saying one group
    > is for wet weather and another's for dry
    weather.

    > Then make another studded tire brand line with a claim that "the Red Arrow Studmuffin tire has
    > harder rubber on it, outlasting studded tires and
    giving
    > better traction than Nokians!"
    >
    > Then you can produce another line called "Red Arrow Invisilites" that are the same tire but have
    > invisible knobbies for cyclocross!
    >
    > Damn the possibilities are endless!!! Too bad nobody would be able to
    sell
    > MTB tires this way, cuz we're too smart for that. Anyone have office
    space
    > and a bit of investment capital? Hmm.. maybe I can finance this with when my huffy sells... C'mon,
    > who's in?
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. Phil says:

    <snip amazing money-making plan>

    Can you lend me $500 to start me off, Phil? I'll pay you back when it all starts working.....

    Steve

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Directional road tires?! snip snip -- Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Conti kind of has...their new TPS ( I think it means Total Positioning System, but as I don't really
    care, I don't really remember) tires have treads reminiscent of spaghetti noodles randomly weaving
    over the tire. The "front" and "rear" have a different spaghetti noodles on them. And, they are
    pretty expensive, so they must either (a) rule ass or (b) be on every roadie's must-have list.

    Chris

  7. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Directional road tires?!

    <snip>

    It's been done. Back in the late 80's when mountainbike tires started showing directional arrows,
    the tech-reps at Avocet made a "prototype" set (front and rear) of directionally corrected slicks.
    It was really just a joke to piss off Jobst, since he was so envolved in tire development. Funny
    thing is that there was some discussion about the marketing appeal.

    Later, in the early 90's INOAC/IRC (who happens to manufacture Avocet tires)produced a directional
    road tire for another company. The sales pitch was that the difference was not in the tread, but in
    the casing. Of course if you did "follow the arrows," the company label ended up on the right side
    (drive side). Label placement is everything.

    Just a side note, IRC produced the tires for the original "Solar Racer." They were Avocet designed
    26x2.125 slicks, and carried the Avocet name on one side. The interesting part was the other side,
    the side that the public saw, had a bight yellow and blue "Goodyear" emblem ....

    It's all about marketing.

  8. > It's been done.

    Oh... I'm sorry to hear that. I actually feel bad now for those who may have fallen for it.

    > set (front and rear) of directionally corrected slicks. It was really just a joke to piss off
    > Jobst, since he was so envolved in tire development. Funny thing is that there was some discussion
    > about the

    Hah! That's funny.

    > Just a side note, IRC produced the tires for the original "Solar Racer." They were Avocet designed
    > 26x2.125 slicks, and carried the Avocet name on one side. The interesting part was the other side,
    > the side that the public saw, had a bight yellow and blue "Goodyear" emblem ....

    Hmm, double the goodness I guess...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training