NP and IF question

specialized31

Aug 3, 2006
For a 2.5 road race would a NP of 9 watts less than my estimated FTP and an IF of .965 for the entire race suggest my FTP may be slightly underestimated? The race itself had lots of short steep climbs which made for many accelerations and power was highly varied. FWIW my avg hr for the race was about 10-12 beats below LT.

specialized31 said:
For a 2.5 road race would a NP of 9 watts less than my estimated FTP and an IF of .965 for the entire race suggest my FTP may be slightly underestimated?

If you rode hard the entire race, then I'd say "not necessarily". OTOH, if you sat in a good part of the time and/or felt that the race was relatively easy, then I'd say "quite possibly".

acoggan said:
If you rode hard the entire race, then I'd say "not necessarily". OTOH, if you sat in a good part of the time and/or felt that the race was relatively easy, then I'd say "quite possibly".
I should have stated more clearly that is was 2.5 HRS. But your reply is what my thoughts were too. I guess it's pretty subjective and can't replace formal testing. The race did feel easy and I was never felt in any difficulty at all and rode at or near the front of a field of 80+ the entire way. I was actually quite surprised to see my avg hr that high, it FELT much easier than that.