NP viewable when riding...

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by tomUK, May 29, 2012.

1. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

I understand that it is the definition of FTP. Yet acoggan says I cannot average 75-80% FTP for an hour. He said it in this thread on page 2.

Perhaps you are about to realize that acogan is a fraud.

2. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

A few posts ago someone (I am not about to look up who) made the statement that acoggan never said that 300TSS/day for 90 days was impossible.

A google search using: andy coggan impossible TSS workouts

returns a link in which acoggan mentions my impossible workouts. The use of the adjective "impossible" seems to support my claim that Andy Coggan regards 300TSS/day as impossible.

---

Andy Coggan's initial claim was that 200TSS/day for extended periods of time was impossible. I kicked it up to 300TSS just to make it so difficult that anyone doing the "impossible" would show that TSS was hokum. And as I said it is less than 6 hours a day. A lot of guys used to train 6 hours a day. Everyday. I bet some still do. But certainly many people can train 4 hours/day and disprove Andy Coggan's original claim.

3. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Actually, I think Andy Coggan was making a general statement about you and your claimed ride stats. I think he basically said that your claims are not believable. You know what? I agree. Anyway, before I am going to pay the slightest attention to one person calling another person a fraud I am going to have developed a great amount of respect for their knowledge and opinions. As to you, I have zero respect for either your knowledge or your opinions. Given your track record, I would be honored if you would call me a fraud. Please, please call me a fraud.

4. DAL1955

DAL1955 New Member

The fact that you don't or choose not to understand the difference between averaging 75-80% FTP for an hour and doing 150%/0% FTP intervals for an hour and the differences in the physiological strain associated with each is probably the clearest indication that in fact, you have most likely never done 150%/0% intervals. Had you, you would realize the complete and utter lunacy of your claims and comments.

5. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Frank has been a busy chap working on a powermeasuring Powercrank that can measure the output of each leg individually and takes advantage of the Garmin head units' ability to display this info. Looks rather nice - he had a test model up at the Death Ride in the Power Crank booth...

6. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

AOG, all of those years of life, observing and learning, and this is the pathetic end point? You arguing so vigorously in an attempt to destroy someone's character, that you don't even personally know. And quite frankly all you are doing is making yourself look like a total ass to everyone on this forum. You sir define pathetic.

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

So claims the Fraud.

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Fraud.

9. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Before I start a mini-rant a question for those with access to "numbers"

World class team pursuit squads - what's the % of FTP when a rider hits the front for his dose of pain?

You should learn basic skills like reading and comprehension first, AOG.

What Andy said, and it wasn't on page 2, was:

Riding at 80% of FTP isn't very hard to do for an hour but doing the intervals as stated (5 min @ 150-160%, then resting for 5 min, and repeating this 12 times) and ending up with a average of 80% or so of their FTP isn't possible.

If guys like Chris Boardman, holder of the Ultimate Hour Record and a guy that held the 4km pursuit record for over a decade couldn't do one 4 minute effort at 160% of FTP, let alone a 5 minute one, what makes me believe that you can?

At best I could only ride 5 minutes at just under 120% of FTP. I'm not sure if this is normal or not...

10. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Based on a 1999 study by Broker, Kyle and Burke, championship team pursuit teams average about 622W-430W-389W-389W in the four positions respectively. Assuming that they spend about an equal amount of time in each position, their AP is about 454W. This is for about 4mins duration and is probably close to the cyclist's max power at that duration on the power-duration profile. I'm guessing that is about 120% of the riders' FTP. Here's the study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10589873

I think few cyclists can ride for much longer than 5mins at 120%FTP. I can't. At 150%FTP, you're looking at a max duration of maybe 1.5-2.0min.

11. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

In my TPs I was ~ 160% of FTP when on the front. I'm not world class though, but have set national masters record in TP.