Nr 3 cycling city.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Nice to see in Cycling Plus that from the 2001 census data Hull is now only behind Cambridge and
    Oxford in terms of cycle commuting. As a former car commuter that was "forced" out of my car several
    years ago by the anti car measures taken by Kingston upon Hull City Council, such as 25% of the city
    now being subject to 20 mph limits, I'd like to thank them.

    >20 000 miles later I am fit and healthy, don't have to worry about traffic
    jams anymore and can honestly say that the switch to cycle commuting is the best thing I've ever
    done. This would definitely not have happened if the council had not spent several million pounds
    (3/4 million on one cycle track alone) on pro cycling measures, so thanks. Now, if only my employers
    had the same vision.

  2. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    That is something to be proud of, unfortunately I remember reading that Hull City Council is going to be the first in the country to have its entire financial spending and authority to do so vetted by the Government because of the scale of fiduciary misconduct uncovered by the Auditors ;)

    Anyway, what sort of distance are you commuting? I currently have to drive to Manchester every day, it's a round trip of about 50 miles by motorway, but I am thinking about maybe cycling it a few times this summer.

    Are you riding a mountain bike or road bike?
    Do you have changing facilities at work?
    Will your employer insure your bike?

    Ideally, if my company are prepared to buy me a £11,000+ car and replace it every three years, I would have thought they'd leap at the chance to buy me a £5,000 road bike and replace it every three years instead :D

  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "McBain_v1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:3H%[email protected]...
    > Simon Mason wrote:
    > > Nice to see in Cycling Plus that from the 2001 census data Hull is now only behind Cambridge
    > > and Oxford in terms of cycle commuting. As a former car commuter that was "forced" out of my
    > > car several years ago by the anti car measures taken by Kingston upon Hull City Council,
    such
    > > as 25% of the city now being subject to 20 mph limits, I'd like to thank them. 20 000 miles
    > > later I am fit and healthy, don't have to worry about traffic jams anymore and can honestly
    > > say that the switch to cycle commuting is the best thing I've ever done. This would definitely
    > > not have happened if the council had not spent several million pounds (3/4 million on one
    > > cycle track alone) on pro cycling measures, so thanks. Now, if only my employers had the same
    > > vision.
    >

    > That is something to be proud of, unfortunately I remember reading that Hull City Council is going
    > to be the first in the country to have its entire financial spending and authority to do so vetted
    > by the Government because of the scale of fiduciary misconduct uncovered by the Auditors ;)

    That's because of the bungling idiots who run the council, cycling officer excepted of course! They
    had billions of cash when they sold off the telephone system, only to waste it on doing up 1000's of
    council houses (new double glazing etc) which nobody wanted to live in and which they subsequently
    had to demolish. Oh and a brand new 25000 capacity soccer stadium for a team in Div 3.

    > Anyway, what sort of distance are you commuting? I currently have to drive to Manchester every
    > day, it's a round trip of about 50 miles by motorway, but I am thinking about maybe cycling it a
    > few times this summer.

    24 mile round trip - I think if it was >30 miles I'd struggle.

    > Are you riding a mountain bike or road bike? Do you have changing facilities at work? Will your
    > employer insure your bike?

    A hybrid bike. I like to mix and match my commute between road and off road tracks and foreshore.
    The facilities at work are a matter of contention. I now have to change in the disabled toilets. I
    can't say anymore ;-)

    > Ideally, if my company are prepared to buy me a £11,000+ car and replace it every three years, I
    > would have thought they'd leap at the chance to buy me a £5,000 road bike and replace it every
    > three years instead :D

    Only far sighted companies would do this.

  4. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    McBain_v1 wrote:

    > Anyway, what sort of distance are you commuting? I currently have to drive to Manchester every
    > day, it's a round trip of about 50 miles by motorway, but I am thinking about maybe cycling it a
    > few times this summer.

    I am thinking of cycling my 75 mile round trip commute from Morley to York at least once this year.
    Do it during Bike Week 12-20 June.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  5. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    I would like to get a bit of a hybrid bike together, maybe based around an 853 cyclocross frame. I think this would be the perfect commuter frame, although an MTB would allow me to go out and about with my wife.

    I think biking to work during the cycle week is an excellent idea. We've got a gym here so I could use the changing rooms, my only worry is security so I would probably see if it was okay to bring the bike into the office with me. Not crazy about strutting past the girls in the accounts section in my lycra shorts though - intimidating cat calls :D

  6. W K

    W K Guest

    "McBain_v1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:3H%[email protected]...

    > Anyway, what sort of distance are you commuting? I currently have to drive to Manchester every
    > day, it's a round trip of about 50 miles by motorway, but I am thinking about maybe cycling it a
    > few times this summer.

    I used to ride almost that distance into Manchester once or twice a week. Depending on where you are
    coming from, in summer its nice to do it one way
    (in) and get the train back (v. cheap evening returns).

    Also as manchester has a very compact centre, it makes a lot of sense to park-and-ride. You may have
    to park outside the M60, but 5-10 miles is a good distance for commuting.

  7. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Unfortunately our head office is based in The Trafford Centre which means it is a real pain to cycle to, lots of busy roads filled with nutters - mostly women in people-carriers who are desperate to shop (these are the most dangerous category of motorist anywhere - never get between a woman and a bargain!).

    I wish that Trafford MBC would hurry up and put the Metrolink in place, would make matters a lot easier :mad:

  8. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    McBain_v1 wrote:

    > I think biking to work during the cycle week is an excellent idea. We've got a gym here so I could
    > use the changing rooms, my only worry is security so I would probably see if it was okay to bring
    > the bike into the office with me. Not crazy about strutting past the girls in the accounts section
    > in my lycra shorts though - intimidating cat calls :D

    Don't worry about the cat calls, making the decision to wear lyrca is the hard part. They'll love
    it, why not put your legs up for auction. The two highest bidders get to shave/wax a leg each, money
    going to charity of course. You'll be the most popular male in the office.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  9. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Waxing Legs???

    That would bloody knacker, but then again, if I was allowed to give them a bikini wax in return it might be worth it ;)