NRMA says money wasted on cyclists...what a surprise

biker jk

Oct 24, 2005
NRMA pedalling (pun intended) anti-cycling rubbish once again. See story in today's Sydney Morning Herald. All spurious arguments against cycle lanes. Anyone else considering dumping NRMA as their insurer?

biker jk said:
NRMA pedalling (pun intended) anti-cycling rubbish once again. See story in today's Sydney Morning Herald. All spurious arguments against cycle lanes. Anyone else considering dumping NRMA as their insurer?
For a second i thought I was in the VEGSOC forum.. people protesting companies for stupid ****!

Ms_Merida said:
For a second i thought I was in the VEGSOC forum.. people protesting companies for stupid ****!
The anti-cycling comments from the NRMA encourages aggressive motorists and so endangers the lives of cyclists riding on roads. I don't consider this a protest over "stupid ****".

biker jk said:
The anti-cycling comments from the NRMA encourages aggressive motorists and so endangers the lives of cyclists riding on roads. I don't consider this a protest over "stupid ****".
Is this clearly stated by the NRMA or just a perception of your from what you have read?!

Did the NRMA say.. "lets all be twits to cyclists?"
We're on the same team, i agree people are jerks when it comes ot passing cyclist etc.. but I'm not sure any company would outwardly encourage this behaviour!

They're all going to be fat bastards..[generalisation]
I get that if only a few people are using the bikeway then i can see how others would see it as useless.. however, in this day and age as excercise is becoming more important and encouraged more, i think people will how great it is.. brisbane sucks for public transport, and it's really that you NEED a car etc.. if i could i'd ride to work.. booyeah.. anyway..

biker jk said:
Well, I don't use cycle lanes, and I don't believe in segragating bicycles from cars so I'm not about to get all excited about that article.

And you have to remember the NRMA is a motoring organisation and as such is meant to be promoting the interests of car drivers so it's hardly surprising they've come out with this stuff.

EDIT: LINK to the article

I heard their moron speaker on the radio.
The guys was a complete farking idiot.
Makes my blood boil, we need sensible access routes to the city that are safe to ride on and
less farking cars not more.
We should only be using our cars on weekend!!!
Why should roads only be used by cars?

46kgToDate said:
I heard their moron speaker on the radio.
The guys was a complete farking idiot.
Makes my blood boil, we need sensible access routes to the city that are safe to ride on and
less farking cars not more.
We should only be using our cars on weekend!!!
Why should roads only be used by cars?
Farking NRMA. Didn't we fight them bastards in Vietnam? See what happens when you don't finish the job.

Edit - someone PMed me that we fought the Vietcong and the NVA in 'nam. Sorry.

classic1 said:
Farking NRMA. Didn't we fight them bastards in Vietnam? See what happens when you don't finish the job.

Edit - someone PMed me that we fought the Vietcong and the NVA in 'nam. Sorry.
:rolleyes:

biker jk said:
Anyone else considering dumping NRMA as their insurer?
In reality my friend.. if we really let so much shite get to us, we'd all be in hospital with nervous disorders, anxiety and ****en heart problems. Please chill.. thigns happen, people say stupid stuff.. and really.. do you think that a few people who ditch them as their insurance mob, are really going to make a huge difference? Sorry.. but us vegetarians have been fighting it a bloody long time.. and sorry to those fellow veg*ans, but one person doesn't make a huge difference!!! [ this was just to prove a point]

So they said some dumb stuff.. mabye do some dumb stuff.. we're only human and really.. we all make mistakes, what's the point in getting all shirty over it.. it only does you damage not them.

read a book called the four agreements!
[#1 dont take things personally]:cool:

Ms_Merida said:
In reality my friend.. if we really let so much shite get to us, we'd all be in hospital with nervous disorders, anxiety and ****en heart problems. Please chill.. thigns happen, people say stupid stuff.. and really.. do you think that a few people who ditch them as their insurance mob, are really going to make a huge difference? Sorry.. but us vegetarians have been fighting it a bloody long time.. and sorry to those fellow veg*ans, but one person doesn't make a huge difference!!! [ this was just to prove a point]

So they said some dumb stuff.. mabye do some dumb stuff.. we're only human and really.. we all make mistakes, what's the point in getting all shirty over it.. it only does you damage not them.

read a book called the four agreements!
[#1 dont take things personally]:cool:
You're a moron. Don't take it personally.

Seriously, though. The NRMA comments encourage those motorists who believe cyclists should not use the roads or be catered for by providing cycle ways. This is totally irresponsible by the peak motoring body in NSW. I can voice my protest against such sentiment in any way I choose.

biker jk said:
NRMA Insurance was spun off a long time ago from the motoring organisation, and is now part of the Insurance Australia Group (IAG) if I recall corectly.

Canceling your insurance would hurt the wrong company.

I thought the responses that appeared the following day in the SMH were most effective in putting this self-interested twaddle in its place.

I actually work for IAG- which owns NRMA. My workplace has encouraged riding... there is a lockable cage in the basement, reasonable (sort of) showers and some decent lockers too. But- being an office environment, 95% of the staff havent exercised since the Year 5 Egg & Spoon Race. So there's enough lockers to go around.

And when I get into the lift in my lycra, the comments I get... arrgghh I fight back by referring to Key Performance Indicators (KPI's) being linked to a person's cholestorol level... and most ppl here go "oh my god that's not normal, drive a car like NORMAL people" .

Ms_Merida said:
Are you suggesting therefore that we should all just give up our rights and let the big man walk all over us.
With this attitude - women would not have the vote, south africa would still be white, heck we would still be in the dark ages....

every battle is worth fighting - no matter how small, if its what you believe in.
Apathy is your enemy.

however I do agree that we shouldnt take things personally.....

bigmark99 said:
Are you suggesting therefore that we should all just give up our rights and let the big man walk all over us.
With this attitude - women would not have the vote, south africa would still be white, heck we would still be in the dark ages....

every battle is worth fighting - no matter how small, if its what you believe in.
Apathy is your enemy.

however I do agree that we shouldnt take things personally.....
I totally agree that every battle is worth fighting for no matter how small.

I'm pleased you know me well enough to pas judgement on me.
have a splendid day Marky poo

P.s If you read my posts.. i'm talking about the article NOT motorists vs. cyclists. The article does not portray an agression towards cyclists at all. SO why all the pent up anger. See Matagi's post.