NSW Road Racing In Danger, But Media Fame At Last!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Andrew Swan, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Out training this morning in Centennial Park, I was bailed up by an ABC radio reporter with an MD
    recorder who interviewed me for my (very humble) opinions on the recent threats posed to road racing
    in NSW (covered in other threads here).

    As always, there's things I later wished that I'd said at the time, but I vaguely remember getting
    in some good stuff about our recent international successes (Michael Rogers and Brad McGee) being
    unlikely to continue if our sport (I know it's not everyone here's sport!) were to be handicapped at
    the grass roots level.

    I didn't have my trannie on me, nor even my mobile (to ring the missus), so I'll just have to take
    the guy's word for it that it went to air about 6 minutes later - stupidly I forgot to ask which
    channel, or even get his business card (d'oh!).

    &roo (Star of TV - brief interview in 1990 [?] with Kerrie-Anne on GMA, riding an exercise bike on a
    warship - and now radio...)

    Tags:

  2. Malvern_star

    Malvern_star New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2002
    At least you weren't bailed up by the cops;)

    Yet!:mad:

  3. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    > At least you weren't bailed up by the cops;)

    Yes, given that 90-odd % of roadies routinely break the (30km/h) speed limit in the park, they could
    make a killing! :)

    &roo

    P.S. don't worry, it's safe speeding...

  4. D&M Johnston

    D&M Johnston Guest

    Hi folks

    I was told last night by my folks up in Grafton (Nth Coast) that due to the threat of stopping road
    racing for cycling, that it looks as though the famous and long running Grafton to Inverell cycle
    race may be cancelled completely and forever. This is just another way that the Carr government is
    trying to control & rip us off.......if it's not only through enormous stamp duties and higher road
    tolls they also want to control what sports we play or enjoy.....if it's not bad enough that the
    insurance companies are giving clubs of all types the cold shoulder...this state government is not
    making things better.

    So, a question comes to mind....is this going to have the same effect on the City to Bondi fun run?
    or any other event that may take up a road or two for a limited time?

    I hope this question is worth the asking!!

    regards

    DJ "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Out training this morning in Centennial Park, I was bailed up by an ABC radio reporter with an MD
    > recorder who interviewed me for my (very humble) opinions on the recent threats posed to road
    > racing in NSW (covered in other threads here).
    >
    > As always, there's things I later wished that I'd said at the time, but I vaguely remember getting
    > in some good stuff about our recent international successes (Michael Rogers and Brad McGee) being
    > unlikely to continue if our sport (I know it's not everyone here's sport!) were to be handicapped
    > at the grass roots level.
    >
    > I didn't have my trannie on me, nor even my mobile (to ring the missus), so I'll just have to take
    > the guy's word for it that it went to air about 6 minutes later - stupidly I forgot to ask which
    > channel, or even get his business card (d'oh!).
    >
    > &roo (Star of TV - brief interview in 1990 [?] with Kerrie-Anne on GMA, riding an exercise bike on
    > a warship - and now radio...)

  5. Sh

    Sh Guest

    They wouldnt have done this before the Sydney Olympics. Imagine the publicity.

    "D&M johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi folks
    >
    > I was told last night by my folks up in Grafton (Nth Coast) that due to
    the
    > threat of stopping road racing for cycling, that it looks as though the famous and long running
    > Grafton to Inverell cycle race may be cancelled completely and forever. This is just another way
    > that the Carr government
    is
    > trying to control & rip us off.......if it's not only through enormous
    stamp
    > duties and higher road tolls they also want to control what sports we play or enjoy.....if it's
    > not bad enough that the insurance companies are
    giving
    > clubs of all types the cold shoulder...this state government is not making things better.
    >
    > So, a question comes to mind....is this going to have the same effect on
    the
    > City to Bondi fun run? or any other event that may take up a road or two
    for
    > a limited time?
    >
    > I hope this question is worth the asking!!
    >
    > regards
    >
    > DJ "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Out training this morning in Centennial Park, I was bailed up by an ABC radio reporter with an
    > > MD recorder who interviewed me for my (very humble) opinions on the recent threats posed to road
    > > racing in NSW (covered in other threads here).
    > >
    > > As always, there's things I later wished that I'd said at the time, but I vaguely remember
    > > getting in some good stuff about our recent international successes (Michael Rogers and Brad
    > > McGee) being unlikely to continue if our sport (I know it's not everyone here's sport!) were to
    > > be handicapped at the grass roots level.
    > >
    > > I didn't have my trannie on me, nor even my mobile (to ring the missus), so I'll just have to
    > > take the guy's word for it that it went to air about 6 minutes later - stupidly I forgot to ask
    > > which channel, or even get his business card (d'oh!).
    > >
    > > &roo (Star of TV - brief interview in 1990 [?] with Kerrie-Anne on GMA, riding an exercise bike
    > > on a warship - and now radio...)

  6. Malvern_star

    Malvern_star New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2002
    A popular Sydney charity run has just been given the bullet , so unfortunately the answer to yor question will probably be. Yes.

  7. Milton

    Milton Guest

    I wonder if this could be recified by simply removing the word race from all events. its just a
    social event but at a rapid pace.

    Hmmmmmmmmmmm just a thought