'nteresting link RE>Mario Pantani, rip

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dave Abraham, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    [email protected] (Dave Abraham) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.economist.co.uk/people/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2459045

    Interesting. Will have to see how history perceives Pantani in
    10/20/... years.

    An aside. In late June I was at the church of the Madonna di
    Ghisallo in Magreglio, the 'home' of the patron saint of bicycling.
    The church is a cycling museum, at least until the new cycling museum
    is completed next door to the small chapel, with bikes ridden to
    victory by Bartali, Coppi, Motta, and others on display along with
    many yellow and pink jerseys signed by those who earned them. The
    altar is blocked by a floor-to-ceiling metal gate, presumably to keep
    ne'er do wells from stealing the Madonna which hangs in front of the
    altar. And there, sitting on the altar this summer, under the
    Madonna, was a framed 8x10 photo of Pantani, the homage to him by the
    keepers of the shrine.

    - rick

  2. SlowRider

    SlowRider Guest

    [email protected] (Dave Abraham) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.economist.co.uk/people/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2459045

    Interesting. I've always wondered how people handled such early peaks
    in life. It might be interesting (if morbid) to look at the suicide
    rate among Olympic medalists, many of whom are pretty young when they
    win. (I did find an article which states that the suicide rate among
    former athletes is roughly six times the national average.)

    Myself, I've assiduously avoided peaking too early. ;-)

    JR

  3. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest