ntlworld's news servers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by FatBlokeOnBikep, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service from
    them: at times they work like a dream, at others, it takes forever to download/post. I've tried
    alternating between cable and cache but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any suggestions? Yooors,

    Iain.

    Tags:

  2. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] writes
    >Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service from
    >them: at times they work like a dream, at others, it takes forever to download/post. I've tried
    >alternating between cable and cache but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any suggestions?

    NTL's news servers are crap (I think they got them off the back of the same lorry as BT....)

    Erratic service, erratic retention, groups 'disappear' or stop receiving posts. There is a steady
    flow of complaints from users that I read.

    Suggestion? dump NTL's servers for all but any groups not obtainable elsewhere (basically the ntl.*
    groups) and find another server that works.

    I've been using the Free University of Berlin's publicly accessible server for a couple of years
    now. You ahve to register and but it's free and it works. Text groups only and some aren't carried
    but most are. Does the buisness for me.

    There are alternative paid for servers, such as Claranews.

    http://www.news.cis.dfn.de
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  3. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:13:32 +0100, [email protected] wrote:

    >Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service from
    >them: at times they work like a dream, at others, it takes forever to download/post. I've tried
    >alternating between cable and cache but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any suggestions?

    Yes, use another news server.

    I don't even go back to check whether the service has improved or not of late, I just accept it's
    crap!.....(god, my pessimism gets the better of me sometimes!).

    For news, I use the tried and trusted Berlin service.....(the fact that it's still going without
    charge is, quite frankly.......a miracle!)

    You will need to subscribe, giving an accessible email address (for your password).....this may
    invite spam, not sure, I get so much now, comes from all directions.....but the service is really
    excellent.

    http://news.cis.dfn.de/

    Good luck..

    cheers Garry

  4. Jo Hardman

    Jo Hardman Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service
    > from them: at times they work like a dream, at others, it takes forever to download/post. I've
    > tried alternating between cable and cache but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any
    > suggestions? Yooors,
    >
    > Iain.
    Only ever works at off peak times. During the 'rush hour' it always comes up with 'cannot connect to
    server' or your news server has failed to respond' Bit of a problem as we use ntl broadband, part of
    a package together with phone & TV, so it is hard to use anything else. Jo

  5. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Jo Hardman wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers?

    <rant mode> Yup, they never gave me access to them. Possibly because I am in that far flung bit of
    the sticks known only to those with the most detailed maps as London. NTL took over my cable service
    provider and made the service so much worse than even the previous tw*ts managed that I finally gave
    them the boot. They promised I could have fast internet access "in three months" for about three
    years (may be some overlap with preivous tw*ts on that one). They also made getting shot of them as
    much of a pain in the proverbial as they could. I rang them up and gave them a months notice, which
    they ignored, diconnected me, then insisted I pay a reconnection fee before I could get out of their
    contract. They made the original providers, Videotron, look very good by comparison. Oh, and to add
    insult to injury (no, actually, injury to insult!) an NTL white van man ran me over on my bike
    shortly after the experience! </rant mode>

    > Only ever works at off peak times. During the 'rush hour' it always comes up with 'cannot connect
    > to server' or your news server has failed to respond' Bit of a problem as we use ntl broadband,
    > part of a package together with phone & TV, so it is hard to use anything else.

    I've actually found it much easier to use anything else. I now get excellent service from Pipex.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  6. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Jo Hardman
    <[email protected]> writes

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >> Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service
    >> from them:

    >Only ever works at off peak times. During the 'rush hour' it always comes up with 'cannot connect
    >to server' or your news server has failed to respond' Bit of a problem as we use ntl broadband,
    >part of a package together with phone & TV, so it is hard to use anything else.

    It's easy peasy to use something else. You just need to sign up to use the service of another news
    server (or servers)

    I use NTL BB, and have been using 'the Berlin server' as I said in another post, there are other
    alternatives as well.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  7. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    [email protected] writes:

    > Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service
    > from them: at times they work like a dream, at others, it takes forever to download/post. I've
    > tried alternating between cable and cache but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any
    > suggestions? Yooors,

    The text only ones are much better than the ones that carry binary groups too. Try using
    text.news.ntlworld.com.

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 25 Jun 2003 07:43:23 +0100, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] writes:
    >
    >> Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service
    >> from them: at times they work like a dream, at others, it takes forever to download/post. I've
    >> tried alternating between cable and cache but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any
    >> suggestions? Yooors,
    >
    >The text only ones are much better than the ones that carry binary groups too. Try using
    >text.news.ntlworld.com.

    Too right, Paul

    Iain should've taken a bit more time and read what I've said several times in this NG regarding this
    subject. Whoops! He couldn't, could he? His chosen news server wasn't working.

    Iain, as Paul says, unless you absolutely NEED non-text news for *.mp3, dirty vids or whatever then
    use text.news.ntlworld.com - it's good enough purely for text stuff such as uk.rec.cycling

    James

  9. Ho-kayyy. Thanx for the advice. I'm off to play looney toones in my User and System Profile for a
    week at a time.