ntlworld's news servers

FatBlokeOnBikep

Guest
Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service from
them: at times they work like a dream, at others, it takes forever to download/post. I've tried
alternating between cable and cache but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any suggestions? Yooors,

Iain.

In message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes
>Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service from
>them: at times they work like a dream, at others, it takes forever to download/post. I've tried
>alternating between cable and cache but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any suggestions?

NTL's news servers are **** (I think they got them off the back of the same lorry as BT....)

Erratic service, erratic retention, groups 'disappear' or stop receiving posts. There is a steady
flow of complaints from users that I read.

Suggestion? dump NTL's servers for all but any groups not obtainable elsewhere (basically the ntl.*
groups) and find another server that works.

I've been using the Free University of Berlin's publicly accessible server for a couple of years
now. You ahve to register and but it's free and it works. Text groups only and some aren't carried
but most are. Does the buisness for me.

There are alternative paid for servers, such as Claranews.

http://www.news.cis.dfn.de
--
Chris French, Leeds

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:13:32 +0100, [email protected] wrote:

>Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service from
>them: at times they work like a dream, at others, it takes forever to download/post. I've tried
>alternating between cable and cache but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any suggestions?

Yes, use another news server.

I don't even go back to check whether the service has improved or not of late, I just accept it's
****!.....(god, my pessimism gets the better of me sometimes!).

For news, I use the tried and trusted Berlin service.....(the fact that it's still going without
charge is, quite frankly.......a miracle!)

You will need to subscribe, giving an accessible email address (for your password).....this may
invite spam, not sure, I get so much now, comes from all directions.....but the service is really
excellent.

http://news.cis.dfn.de/

Good luck..

cheers Garry

[email protected] wrote:
> Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service
> from them: at times they work like a dream, at others, it takes forever to download/post. I've
> tried alternating between cable and cache but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any
> suggestions? Yooors,
>
> Iain.
Only ever works at off peak times. During the 'rush hour' it always comes up with 'cannot connect to
server' or your news server has failed to respond' Bit of a problem as we use ntl broadband, part of
a package together with phone & TV, so it is hard to use anything else. Jo

Jo Hardman wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers?

<rant mode> Yup, they never gave me access to them. Possibly because I am in that far flung bit of
the sticks known only to those with the most detailed maps as London. NTL took over my cable service
provider and made the service so much worse than even the previous tw*ts managed that I finally gave
them the boot. They promised I could have fast internet access "in three months" for about three
years (may be some overlap with preivous tw*ts on that one). They also made getting shot of them as
much of a pain in the proverbial as they could. I rang them up and gave them a months notice, which
they ignored, diconnected me, then insisted I pay a reconnection fee before I could get out of their
contract. They made the original providers, Videotron, look very good by comparison. Oh, and to add
insult to injury (no, actually, injury to insult!) an NTL white van man ran me over on my bike
shortly after the experience! </rant mode>

> Only ever works at off peak times. During the 'rush hour' it always comes up with 'cannot connect
> to server' or your news server has failed to respond' Bit of a problem as we use ntl broadband,
> part of a package together with phone & TV, so it is hard to use anything else.

I've actually found it much easier to use anything else. I now get excellent service from Pipex.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Aye!.

In message <[email protected]>, Jo Hardman
<[email protected]> writes

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service
>> from them:

>Only ever works at off peak times. During the 'rush hour' it always comes up with 'cannot connect
>to server' or your news server has failed to respond' Bit of a problem as we use ntl broadband,
>part of a package together with phone & TV, so it is hard to use anything else.

It's easy peasy to use something else. You just need to sign up to use the service of another news
server (or servers)

I use NTL BB, and have been using 'the Berlin server' as I said in another post, there are other
alternatives as well.
--
Chris French, Leeds

[email protected] writes:

> Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service
> from them: at times they work like a dream, at others, it takes forever to download/post. I've
> tried alternating between cable and cache but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any
> suggestions? Yooors,

The text only ones are much better than the ones that carry binary groups too. Try using
text.news.ntlworld.com.

On 25 Jun 2003 07:43:23 +0100, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] writes:
>
>> Anyone here having trubble with ntlworld's news servers? I'm getting pretty spasmodic service
>> from them: at times they work like a dream, at others, it takes forever to download/post. I've
>> tried alternating between cable and cache but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any
>> suggestions? Yooors,
>
>The text only ones are much better than the ones that carry binary groups too. Try using
>text.news.ntlworld.com.

Too right, Paul

Iain should've taken a bit more time and read what I've said several times in this NG regarding this
subject. Whoops! He couldn't, could he? His chosen news server wasn't working.

Iain, as Paul says, unless you absolutely NEED non-text news for *.mp3, dirty vids or whatever then
use text.news.ntlworld.com - it's good enough purely for text stuff such as uk.rec.cycling

James

Ho-kayyy. Thanx for the advice. I'm off to play looney toones in my User and System Profile for a
week at a time.