nu wheels - suggestions and recommendations

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by tomn, Oct 2, 2011.

1. tomn

tomn New Member

heya, new to this forum and also to road cycling - after riding my mountain bike for a few years and deciding something a bit smoother (and faster) over-ground would suit, i bought me a second hand giant peloton 7200 and have been loving the ride over the last month clocking in 45-50 mile a ride and very much hoping to build on that. however this morning i set out to meet up with a friend and put a few more miles in when my rim suddenly bust and blew my tire leaving me ride-less and unable to do what i set out to do (i was about 6-7 miles away from home - it couldve been worse!) so now looking into getting a whole new set of wheels i have my eye on the michelin lithion 2 tyres which would seem to suit my ride, but having trouble on choosing a wheel/rim - thought id put my case out for some suggestions and recommendations thank you tom listening: pete rock & cl smooth - they reminisce over you

Tags:

2. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Wheels are a bit like tires in that they all tend to wear out eventually, there are many choices which will work, but some may be better than others for you and your wallet. Easiest option may be just to have your rim and spokes replaced, keeping your existing hub. I'd go to an LBS you trust and talk to them about this option. Many LBS have experienced wheelbuilders who will give you solid advice and do a careful job to give you a durable and serviceable wheel.

If both of your wheels and hubs are well-used, might make sense to buy a new set. Either the LBS could build them up on new hubs to suit your riding style and needs, or you could pick from many off-the-shelf factory-made choices in a wide range of prices. If the LBS salesman starts talking about "magical climbing", or "2-3 mph faster", I'd go elsewhere. Despite all the add-hype, there just isn't that much difference.

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What kind of riding do you do?

4. tomn

tomn New Member

thank you dhk2 - i will be going to my LBS (one just across the road from me and i do trust them) but wont be able to get there til weds - its really upsetting me that i wont be going out on the bike until the end of the week if not later

5. tomn

tomn New Member

i live in plymouth (devon, south west uk) and love getting out onto the moors - plenty of every kind of ride you could imagine