Numb Bum - I need a new saddle

Originally posted by swimbiker
Well, I bought the Brooks Finesse, a woman-specific saddle. I am loving it in the rear and suffering in the front! I am thinking that the chamois makes the tissues so dry in the perineal area that serious chafing results. Has anyone else tried anything to relieve this? How about Vaseline or something like that?
I have a Terry Liberator (with the cut out) and love it. It relieves the pressures in the front but not the chaffing and pinching on the sides. I think my chamois bunches up and pinches me in the bikini area such that I'm all cut up. I can't wear smaller shorts so I'm looking for less padding on the sides but enough in the front to prevent bruising. I usually wear Pearl shorts with no success. Any ideas about that? I have heard about saddle sore cream but never tried it.

Originally posted by annah
hiya,

I'm new to riding and am having a bit of trouble with rubbing on my *bits* causing skin to come off. is this most likely to be my nicks or my saddle causing this? I've only got one pair of Nicks.
I've adusted my saddle forward and downwards and it is overall more comfortable, but the rubbing is still happening. It happens about 10mins into the ride.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Annah.

I looked at "Bag Balm" and settled on something called "Corona Ointment", the main difference being that Bag Balm is vaseline- based and Corona is lanolin-based. Put this on your perineal area before a ride. The scraping and cutting is being caused by the tissues drying out during the ride. Lubrication prevents the chafing from happening.

Originally posted by 3yearrider
I have a Terry Liberator (with the cut out) and love it. It relieves the pressures in the front but not the chaffing and pinching on the sides. I think my chamois bunches up and pinches me in the bikini area such that I'm all cut up. I can't wear smaller shorts so I'm looking for less padding on the sides but enough in the front to prevent bruising. I usually wear Pearl shorts with no success. Any ideas about that? I have heard about saddle sore cream but never tried it.

I found part of my difficulty was that I was wearing Triathlete shorts made by Speedo. The chamois was too flexible and was bunching up. I switched to Pearl Isumi with a stiffer chamois and put Carona Ointment, a lanolin-based ointment on me AND on the padding. Finally, I am making progress. The chamois was drying out the perineal tissues and causing them to chafe painfully.

Thanks for the tip. I also tried Sugoi shorts. I like the chamois better but the seams in the shorts chafe my backside. I didn't have the cutting in the bikini area so it must be the width of the chamois that's the key. I'll also try the cream and see if it makes a difference when I wear my Pearl shorts. I went 30 miles yesterday and only began having the pinching sensation about 15 miles in. I survived.

Originally posted by 3yearrider
Thanks for the tip. I also tried Sugoi shorts. I like the chamois better but the seams in the shorts chafe my backside. I didn't have the cutting in the bikini area so it must be the width of the chamois that's the key. I'll also try the cream and see if it makes a difference when I wear my Pearl shorts. I went 30 miles yesterday and only began having the pinching sensation about 15 miles in. I survived.

I think the key to this problem is the stiffness and width of the chamois plus the drying effects of the chamois on the tissues that are supposed to remain moist. With men, the chamois is there to control sweat, but that doesn't apply here in the same way. I am trying to use the cushioning of the chamois without the wicking action. My Pearl Isumi shorts have the "wings" on the sides of the perineal chamois and they seem to help, too. Why does the chamois go so far up in the front as well as the back? It seems to me that women are getting chamois pads designed for men instead of something for our needs.

"Wings" are a good way to put that. They are my problem. I'm pretty narrow in the hip region so I don't need the bulk. You hit the nail on the head about the size of the chamois. I wear women's shorts but, sometimes I feel like I look like a baboon from behind b/c the padding goes up so far. I don't understand that nor do I need it. Anyone find shorts that they love?

I have used Netti womens nicks for two years now and have never had a problem. They hvae 8 panels, so the fit is great for me. The chamois is nice & small too so I don't feel like I have a nappy on like with some other shorts.

I'm not at all a fan of padded saddles - I think they cause too much friction for me. I use 2 different Selle Italias and an Fizik PavePro. They are men's saddles, actually, but they work for me.

But again, for me what helped the most was learning how to shift my weight more to my legs and less on my butt (than I had originally been).

Originally posted by Ronnie
I am now tired of grinning and bearing it :p - my butt needs some tlc. I have a &quot;one size fits all&quot; saddle fitted to my bike (not even sure what it is), and need to upgrade.<br /><br />Any recommendations?<br /><br />(I am riding the 94.7 in 2 weeks, so I may not change my seat before then since I will not have enough time to get used to it. But perhaps after that.)

maybe u just have a big bum

Hi Rossoreduk

You may be right. But then the theory should be that I have more natural cushioning, and that theory is shot!

Anyway, I DID change saddles - over a year ago. I was and still am delighted with my new one (Selle Italia).

Now that my bum is comfortable, I am working more on getting those wonderful V-shaped calf muscles that cyclists have. :)

Ronnie

This is a topic of great interest to me.

Weight is important for me when choosing a saddle. I try to find saddles that have a hole or a curvature.

I'm running three saddles:
:: Selle Italia SLK (w/ hole 185g)
:: Selle Italia SLR Gelflow (has hole 185g), and
:: WTB SST (269g)

I like the WTB the best. Note that it is on my commuter bike, and I'm never sitting on it for an extended period of time, due to stop lights or bumps on the road, etc.
Second fav. is the SLR; the SLK comes in third because it feels too wide.

I have tried the PROLINK Gel Flow (320g) and it's worthwhile. Too heavy though.

Several women recommended the Selle Italia Flite Trans Am, but I never tried it.

Tried the WTB Rocket V, too soft.

Tried San Marco Aspide and could only feel the embroidery on my a$$! Do they have to do get so fancy?

I will add that I rode the SLR for two weeks, 50-80 miles per day (on a homemade bike tour), and had a wonderful ride. No pain, no numbness, no chaffing.

Had a terrible time with my one size fits all saddle until my LBS put it up ridiculously high during a revision. I left it that way and it was odd at first, but I have not had a sore bum since. Did I mention ridiculously high? Tippy-toe high?

Originally posted by Ronnie
I am now tired of grinning and bearing it :p - my butt needs some tlc. I have a &quot;one size fits all&quot; saddle fitted to my bike (not even sure what it is), and need to upgrade.<br /><br />Any recommendations?<br /><br />(I am riding the 94.7 in 2 weeks, so I may not change my seat before then since I will not have enough time to get used to it. But perhaps after that.)

Originally posted by less'go
Had a terrible time with my one size fits all saddle until my LBS put it up ridiculously high during a revision. I left it that way and it was odd at first, but I have not had a sore bum since. Did I mention ridiculously high? Tippy-toe high?

That's how I run the saddle on my commuter bike, and it's the saddle/bike I like best. I can't reach the ground while sitting.

It's great!