Numb Bum - I need a new saddle

Ronnie

Aug 25, 2002
I am now tired of grinning and bearing it :p - my butt needs some tlc. I have a &quot;one size fits all&quot; saddle fitted to my bike (not even sure what it is), and need to upgrade.<br /><br />Any recommendations?<br /><br />(I am riding the 94.7 in 2 weeks, so I may not change my seat before then since I will not have enough time to get used to it. But perhaps after that.)

Have you tried re-adjusting your saddle position?<br /><br />I used to have numbness problems and it was just that the tilt of the saddle was incorrect.

I bought a Hamoc 2 weeks before my first Argus. That was 4 years ago. Tried another WSD saddle, but after much painful hours in the saddle, decided to swop it for a Hamoc again.

One thing my coach suggested to me when I had this problem (mind you this is on a track bike) was to tilt it down at the front slightly, and make sure you sit as far back as possible on the seat, that helped me a lot with the numbness problem..<br /><br />

[quote author=ness link=board=41;threadid=2571;start=0#22166 date=1036456286]<br />One thing my coach suggested to me when I had this problem (mind you this is on a track bike) was to tilt it down at the front slightly, and make sure you sit as far back as possible on the seat, that helped me a lot with the numbness problem..<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />the problem with most &quot;nonwomens&quot; saddles is that they are not wide enough in the back and the nose is too long in the front. To compensate, most women end up pushing themselves back to the widest part of the saddle for support.<br /><br />Just make sure if you do that, you adjust your fore and aft position accordingly.

<br />If you are looking for a new saddle I would suggest the Sella Italia Trans am. One with the whole in the middle. I have only been using one for a few weeks now and im very impressed

[quote author=Dianne link=board=41;threadid=2571;start=0#22248 date=1036608027]<br /><br />If you are looking for a new saddle I would suggest the Sella Italia Trans am. One with the whole in the middle. I have only been using one for a few weeks now and im very impressed<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I brought one of those for andrea a few months ago, she is pretty happy with it.<br /><br />btw....welcome to the forum Dianne<br /><br />cheers!

[quote author=Dianne link=board=41;threadid=2571;start=0#22248 date=1036608027]<br /><br />If you are looking for a new saddle I would suggest the Sella Italia Trans am. One with the whole in the middle. I have only been using one for a few weeks now and im very impressed<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I just got one of those - only used it once so far - it needs further testing :)

The Terry Butterfly is an awesome saddle. It's light & firm enough for racing, but really comfy for us female types. It has a hole in the middle and nice rounded edges. I first bought the Terry Ti-liberator, 'cuz it was cheaper, but it eventually started giving me saddle sores. Not a problem w/ the Butterfly.

Thanks rek, ness - I tilted my saddle slightly (at least I thought it was slightly) and it has improved things a bit. (My first attempt was too far, and I landed up with stiffish arms and a sore lower back after sliding off the seat for 20km).<br /><br />I will buy a new seat after this weekend (94.7km road race) - assuming I do not sell my bike after this race. ;) (Never ridden this race or this distance before. Yup - true newbie.)

Just make sure the "heel" and "toe" of the sadle is level with the ground. (sounded like a golfer for a sec)

[quote author=Mampara link=board=41;threadid=2571;start=0#22496 date=1037095258]<br />Just make sure the &quot;heel&quot; and &quot;toe&quot; of the sadle is level with the ground. (sounded like a golfer for a sec)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Or one of those guys who calls out the dance steps at a barn dance (no idea what the technical term is ..) ;D

I have a Liberator seat (with the cut out) and love it. I don't have sore "girl parts", but my pubic bone and surrounding tender skin gets bruised. I have actually had cuts. I wear good padded shorts but still have this problem from time to time. Feels like pinching and can ruin any ride. Any ideas for relief?

I have a Liberator, too. I really like it..and I adjusted the tilt of my seat as well. It made a big difference!!

hiya,

I'm new to riding and am having a bit of trouble with rubbing on my *bits* causing skin to come off. is this most likely to be my nicks or my saddle causing this? I've only got one pair of Nicks.
I've adusted my saddle forward and downwards and it is overall more comfortable, but the rubbing is still happening. It happens about 10mins into the ride.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Annah.

Yeah, I have a Terry Liberator with the cutout and i have not had ANY issues with it, I used to ride on other female saddles and it used to hurt after those long or frequent rides, but this Terry is pain free. I think it's the hole that does the trick.

In any case, a girl should not be riding with anything else but a female saddle.

Here is an article that prooved very useful to me concerning saddles and pain.

I've got a sheepskin saddle and I love it. Nice and warm for winter. Soft enough for my butt, and stays warm when wet.

I am thinking of ordering a Brooks Team Pro S. Has anyone tried this model or any of the other Brooks saddles?

annah, get a saddle with a hole in the middle, it really makes a difference. there are inexpensive ones (serfas rx) or fancy ones like terry butterfly.

Well, I bought the Brooks Finesse, a woman-specific saddle. I am loving it in the rear and suffering in the front! I am thinking that the chamois makes the tissues so dry in the perineal area that serious chafing results. Has anyone else tried anything to relieve this? How about Vaseline or something like that?