Numb feet

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Ivanuscg, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Ivanuscg

Ivanuscg New Member

I'm looking for some suggestions to help keep the balls of my feet and toes from becoming numb. I'm using speedplay pedals and sidi genius 5's. Could this be the result of my seat being too low, or the position of my cleats on my shoes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The shoes are new. I've been riding these pedals for several years now. The shoes fit great, much better than my last pair, but I'm feeling "hot spots" on the balls of my feet. Thanks

Tags:

2. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Try moving your Cleats back (Towards the heel)...take a wrench with you so you can experiment as you ride...

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Well, I can tell you that I use that same combo without getting hotspots. Things to check on are:
    1. Are your socks too small?
    2. Are your shoes too small?
    3. The Sidi insole, just like any OEM insole, doesn't really provide support, so do you need a different or custom insole?
    4. Is your fit on the bike right? If you're saddle setback isn't enough, thus putting more weight than necessary on your feet, you could get numb feet.
    5. Someone elese mentioned this: where are the cleats mounted on your shoe? Moving them back could help.

Your feet could be numb because of any one of these things, any combo, or because of some other reason.

4. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Try looser lacing and thicker socks.

5. Al R 1955

Al R 1955 New Member

Ah! Another 'Hot Foot' rider. I have ugly feet, I mean real ugly.
    Things to try:-
    Thicker socks
    Wriggle your toes
    Pull up on the pedals more often even when easy pedaling down hill
    On downhills unclip occasionally & ride more in the middle of the pedal
    Place an extra thin layer of inner sole
    Keep up the cadence
    (all of the above are to take the constant pressure off the pedal area & improve blood flow)

I ride with shimano spd mountain bike shoes & pedals. Toward the end of longish rides the 'pain' is very distracting but some of the above tricks have worked for me. Hope some of them help you.

http://www.roadbikerider.com/articles.htm#How%20to%20Solve%20Painful%20Hot%20Foot

Look on Google " hot feet riding a bicycle

PS I also get slight numbness from road buzzzzz especially riding on tared gravel surfaces. OK on smooth hotmix type surfaces. Since lowering tyre pressure from 125 psi F & B to 100 F 110 B I have lessoned the prob greatly.