Numb hands and handlebar height

wsommariva

Aug 12, 2009
I get numb hands when I ride my comfort type bike. My bike shop recommended that I raise my handlebars. Currently they are about even with the saddle. I'll raise them two inches to see if it helps. Any other ideas? I do were padded gloves.

wsommariva said:
I get numb hands when I ride my comfort type bike. My bike shop recommended that I raise my handlebars. Currently they are about even with the saddle. I'll raise them two inches to see if it helps. Any other ideas? I do were padded gloves.

You are probably putting too much weight on your arms/hands. Could be a fit issue; reaching too far to the bars or saddle too far forward. Have your fit checked.

Didn't know you could move the saddle fore or aft. My arms are indeed fully extended as I bike. I'll try the handlebar height and the seat adjustmnet so I don't reach so far. Thank you.

Saddle also goes up and down and angled. Stems don't go any where unless you change them but can be too long or too short. I recommend getting some live help from a reputable shop or someone with bike fitting experience.

Ok, getting too complicted. I do have a great bike shop. I'll visit this Saturday and get it done. Thanks.

wsommariva said:
Ok, getting too complicted. I do have a great bike shop. I'll visit this Saturday and get it done. Thanks.

One more suggestion that I have made before, once you get the bike dialed in to close perfection take measurments and write them down. In this way you can duplicate the fit if you change components or bikes without going through the trial and error process again.

As mentioned, definitely a fitment issue. Your LBS has pointed you in the right direction with regard to the bar height being too low.

Was your original fitment done at the LBS? Reason I ask is that if it was done at the LBS, I'd hesitate on moving your saddle position from your current location as they probably got you sitting pretty well. Get that out-of-whack and you open a Pandora's box of problems. A bar too low/high is a relatively minor issue compared to having your saddle too high/low, IMO.

Nonetheless, you're going to the LBS soon so they should be able address your issues. Good luck...

wsommariva said:
Didn't know you could move the saddle fore or aft. My arms are indeed fully extended as I bike. I'll try the handlebar height and the seat adjustmnet so I don't reach so far. Thank you.

On the bike you have, your arms should be relaxed and slightly bent at the elbow as you ride. Most of your weigh should be supported by your butt. Stiff arms cause wrist, hand and elbow problems. Your wrist should NOT be bent in relation to the forearm. (like typing in a "neutral wrist" position). You should really go get a fit...

I have an appointment for Saturday at 10 AM. When I bought the bike I was only concerned with the frame size since I needed to pick one. I didn't want to get fitted. Last time I rode a bike was about 40 years ago.

I also get real bad groin muscle pain that suddenly appears and suddenly goes away. I'll mention that on Saturday.

wsommariva said:
I have an appointment for Saturday at 10 AM. When I bought the bike I was only concerned with the frame size since I needed to pick one. I didn't want to get fitted. Last time I rode a bike was about 40 years ago.

I also get real bad groin muscle pain that suddenly appears and suddenly goes away. I'll mention that on Saturday.

I have detected another problem you have, you are old like me. No wonder you have aches and pains.:D

wsommariva said:

Groin pain could be a result of the saddle being too low or pushing too big a gear (too slow cadence 'cause gear is too high) use higher gears as your fitness improves.

Yup. 53. Can't run much any longer, bought a bike, lost 13 pounds and found it's a great workout.

wsommariva said:
Yup. 53. Can't run much any longer, bought a bike, lost 13 pounds and found it's a great workout.

I'm 55. I ride 100 miles/week and run 6 miles/week, so age IS NOT THE PROBLEM. The bike has to fit and if you cross train, keep your abs and upper body strong and flexible you should be OK. Biking will keep you in shape BUT if you do not work on other aspects of your fitness, you will develop overuse injuries.
Keep it up!

wsommariva said:
In four months I'm much stronger. I tend to challenge myself using high gears uphill.

That's cool and all, and to each his own, but as you gain experience on the bike you'll find you'll enjoy those hills even more by spinning a lower gear at a higher cadence, aka revs per minute. Your bodyparts, from your feet to your lower back (especially the knees), will all breathe a sigh of relief as well...Keep rollin'...

In the past, I experienced numbness in the hands, too. I had the good fortune of turning on the TV during a show on cycling. A former road racer was discussing basic riding positions on a road bike, and I learned that the bars should be set (via height and length of stem w.r.t. to proper seat position) so that your hands only need to sustain the weight of your arms. As a previous post said, nearly all of your weight is borne by the rear end on the seat. Also, your upper body is suspended by the waist, rather than by being up held by the arms. I still make a conscious effort to check where I am putting my weight when I ride. The right fit is key to making the right position possible.

My friend, check out Ergon. German company who do some sexy and very practical bar ends designed to negate what is known in the construction industry as "white finger." I have a set of GC3's on my bike (the ones with the big cow horns on the end), cost me £40 or $62. I don't get that ****ly numb ache any more as these bar ends spread out the point load. I recommend! Their bags are seriously cool too (if bloody expensive!).

Topeak-Ergon (yes, two bike accessory suppliers) have united to form 2 teams (one American, one European) competing in organised mountain bike racing events. Seeing as I dig both their individual wares, I kinda support them, particularly Irina (check her out, you'll get it straight away - apart from the fact she's the world champ!). I'd love to get a Topeak-Ergon jersey, but they're like gold dust. I've even been blanked by their PR department in this respect! So if anyone knows better, get back to me!