Numb hands and handlebar height

seek some advice on the proper position of bars, saddle and pedals relative to each other

yes mitts / gloves will help, but nothing will do more for you than a bike that fits!

See some of the basics in this video about bike fitting

Well, I got fitted last Saturday. Raised my seat almost 2 inches. Raised my handlebars also. They said on long rides to change my hand position often. Also recommended ergodynamic grips which I will get. So, I go for my first ride and right away I have the same soreness, but probably from my prior four months of riding. With a concious effort to keep changimg hand position I no longer have numbness.

Raising the seat two inches was a BIG difference. I seem stronger, or just more efficient.

Thanks for all the help.

57 y/o here. Yes, once you are physically fit, bike fit is the issue.

As suggested above, check fore-aft saddle position -- though you don't want to compromise correct pedaling/balance.

Also, if frame is too small and the saddle jacked up to compensate, this can put the saddle too high in relation the bars. One can't isolate proper bike size from bike fit without resorting to some unusual modifications.

Well I have an 18 inch frame. I'm 6 feet even. Next size is 21 inchs. So I think the frame size is ok.

Except the sore hands, I have no other issues. I'll try the ergodynamic grips also.