Numb Hands

mtncrawler

Jul 20, 2004
Hey all - first poster here.

Did some searching and only found a couple threads related to numb hands - at least using the search terms I did.

From what I read, at least in one case, changing to a CF fork made a huge difference.

I have a Trek 5200 CF with a Time CF fork. Been riding this arrangement for 2 1/2 years. I had always been tinkering with the bar position because it felt like I was reaching too much. I recently went from a 90mm 0 degree stem, to a 80mm with a 20 degree rise. The position feels MUCH better, a little more upright, and I think my posture is better (not cramped over). Problem is, I'm getting numb hands. I move around quite a bit and drop an arm now and again to shake it out, but wonder if, I need something different. 80% of the time, my hands are turned outward, right in front of the shifter. Then I'll switch to straight down on top of the main bar next to the stem. I spent very little time in drops unless its a nice fast decent or into wind.

Any tips on what I might look to do to relieve some of this numbing?

Thanks...

mtncrawler,
I have the same problem, after discussing it with one of the guys at my LBS, he told me I was putting too much weight on my hands. He mentioned my abs should be holding my body up, not my arms, sure enough I went out riding the next day, and focused on not using my arms to hold myself up (thus forcing my abs to do the work). Sure enough, no numb hands, and now I have an ab workout I'm doing to complement my cardio :)

mtncrawler said:
Hey all - first poster here.

Did some searching and only found a couple threads related to numb hands - at least using the search terms I did.

From what I read, at least in one case, changing to a CF fork made a huge difference.

I have a Trek 5200 CF with a Time CF fork. Been riding this arrangement for 2 1/2 years. I had always been tinkering with the bar position because it felt like I was reaching too much. I recently went from a 90mm 0 degree stem, to a 80mm with a 20 degree rise. The position feels MUCH better, a little more upright, and I think my posture is better (not cramped over). Problem is, I'm getting numb hands. I move around quite a bit and drop an arm now and again to shake it out, but wonder if, I need something different. 80% of the time, my hands are turned outward, right in front of the shifter. Then I'll switch to straight down on top of the main bar next to the stem. I spent very little time in drops unless its a nice fast decent or into wind.

Any tips on what I might look to do to relieve some of this numbing?

Thanks...

Gel padded cork handlbar tape and gel padded cycling gloves.

Hmm, makes sense that you are putting more weight on your bars if your back/etc. are more comfortable. And even though you have a CF fork, I bet the Time is pretty darned stiff vs. being designed with vibration dampening as a priority.

Gel padding under the handle bar tape, soft tape, and good gloves (Trico gel gloves are pretty cushy, though I've heard the gel wears out quickly) will help. So will changing your hand positions frequently.

Zer0hmz said:
mtncrawler,
I have the same problem, after discussing it with one of the guys at my LBS, he told me I was putting too much weight on my hands. He mentioned my abs should be holding my body up, not my arms, sure enough I went out riding the next day, and focused on not using my arms to hold myself up (thus forcing my abs to do the work). Sure enough, no numb hands, and now I have an ab workout I'm doing to complement my cardio :)

Abs? You mean spinal erectors.

I actually thought the same thing when I started to analyze it a bit...but when you're on, you really feel your abs doing the work. Of course your back comes into play as well (the whole positive negative work)...but your abs really feel the crunch. This may also explain why I've seen so many cycling training programs with some tough ab routines.