Numb Hands

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mike, Mar 6, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get uncomfotably
    numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while
    my
    > hands get uncomfotably numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure,
    gloves??

    Yes, padded gloves and fit bar ends so you can vary your hand position at regular intervals.

  3. "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while
    > my
    > > hands get uncomfotably numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure,
    > gloves??
    >
    > Yes, padded gloves and fit bar ends so you can vary your hand position at regular intervals.
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    Yes - I always wear gloves (or mitts in summer) padding is essential.

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Mike scribbled:

    > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get uncomfotably
    > numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??

    Gloves .. foam type handlebar grips and bar ends are good too .. ;)

    --

    My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    ill buy the house .. can you deliver to london?

    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike scribbled:
    >
    > > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get
    > > uncomfotably numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??
    >
    > Gloves .. foam type handlebar grips and bar ends are good too .. ;)
    >
    > --

    > My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Sorry, don't have a trailer big enough ..

    Mike scribbled:

    > ill buy the house .. can you deliver to london?

    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Mike scribbled:
    >>
    >>> I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get
    >>> uncomfotably numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??
    >>
    >> Gloves .. foam type handlebar grips and bar ends are good too .. ;)
    >>
    >> --

    >> My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

    --

    My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get uncomfotably
    > numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??

    Ozzo gel mitts* work for me - with both drop and straight bars.

    A softer or wider front tyre will absorb more of that vibration in the first place. It shouldn't be
    so soft that it'll slow you down or be at risk of pinch-flats, but front tyre should be at lower
    pressure than the rear, and usually less than the recommended max pressure. Consider a wider tyre if
    it's a 23 or 25c, and a "slick" one if it's a knobbly job.

    The problem is probably not just due to vibration so altering handlebar height and
    position can help.

    * www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=1&text_company=MITTS
    - "Washable gel padded mitts". Chunky palms, so they take quite a bit of getting used to and
    wear in. Cutting out some of the "sweat wipe" terry fabric & foam from the inside makes them
    cooler in the summer and a looser fit. Sizing tends to be over-large.

    --
    ~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

  8. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of "Mike"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get uncomfotably
    > numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??

    Best cure is drop handlebars, and then adopt a new position anytime any part of your anatomy is in
    danger of getting uncomfortable.

    --
    Wear your paunch with pride!

  9. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > Yes - I always wear gloves (or mitts in summer) padding is essential.

    Gloves and bar ends for me. If you're not already, ensure your wrists are fairly straight, alot of
    people ride with their wrists bent.

  10. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Mike <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get uncomfotably
    > numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??

    A recumbent!

    It seems to me that the answer always ends up being "A recumbent!"

    How can I go faster ? A recumbent! How can I go further ? A recumbent! How can I be more
    comfortable? A recumbent! How can I carry more things? A recumbent! How can I empty my wallet
    faster? A recumbent!

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  11. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike scribbled:
    >
    > > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get
    > > uncomfotably numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??
    >
    > Gloves .. foam type handlebar grips and bar ends are good too .. ;)

    Foam handlebar grips .. yuck ... I've currently got a pair of thin fleece gloves under some padded,
    fingerless cycle gloves .. perfect .. in the summer, just the cycle gloves ...

    I'm gonna miss the winter ... :(

  12. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1frg8v0.12crkxhal8kkvN%[email protected]...
    > Mike <[email protected]> wrote: It seems to me that the answer always ends up being "A
    > recumbent!"
    >
    > How can I go faster ? A recumbent! How can I go further ? A recumbent! How can I be more
    > comfortable? A recumbent! How can I carry more things? A recumbent! How can I empty my wallet
    > faster? A recumbent!

    Strange that, it also works with the 'car' word ...

  13. Marc

    Marc Guest

    elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > How can I go faster ? A recumbent! How can I go further ? A recumbent! How can I be more
    > > comfortable? A recumbent! How can I carry more things? A recumbent! How can I empty my wallet
    > > faster? A recumbent!
    > >

    > Strange that, it also works with the 'car' word ...

    No, a recumbent is quicker than a safety in traffic , a car isn't.

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  14. In message <[email protected]>, Mike <[email protected]> writes
    >I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get uncomfotably
    >numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??

    Gloves and bar ends do it for me.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  15. Dr

    Dr Guest

    "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get
    > > uncomfotably numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??
    >
    > Best cure is drop handlebars, and then adopt a new position anytime any part of your anatomy is in
    > danger of getting uncomfortable.

    That's assuming you can get comfortable on drops in the first place. I only view drops as a means of
    going a couple of mph faster in a head wind. Otherwise I am no fan.

    David Roberts

  16. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "DR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a
    while
    > > > my hands get uncomfotably numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??
    > >
    > > Best cure is drop handlebars, and then adopt a new position anytime any part of your anatomy is
    > > in danger of getting uncomfortable.
    >
    > That's assuming you can get comfortable on drops in the first place. I
    only
    > view drops as a means of going a couple of mph faster in a head wind. Otherwise I am no fan.

    There is actually a bit more to it, numb hands may be caused by flexing the hand back when holding
    the handlebars. Drop handlebars when ridden on the hoods or a full racing position mean that your
    wrist will be straight.

    I myself noticed this when I changed from a hybrid to a road bike, even though the road bike has
    much harder tyres, my numbness almost disappeared

    http://www.cptips.com/handsyn.htm

  17. Dr

    Dr Guest

    "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "DR" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > > Best cure is drop handlebars, and then adopt a new position anytime any part of your anatomy
    > > > is in danger of getting uncomfortable.
    > >
    > > That's assuming you can get comfortable on drops in the first place. I only view drops as a
    > > means of going a couple of mph faster in a head wind. Otherwise I am no fan.
    > >

    > There is actually a bit more to it, numb hands may be caused by flexing
    the
    > hand back when holding the handlebars. Drop handlebars when ridden on the hoods or a full racing
    > position mean that your wrist will be straight.

    Yes, that's the benefit of bar ends. The nice thing about bar ends is that there is no difference in
    stretch between grip positions. I usually have one hand on the bar grip and one on a bar end. With
    drops the various positions have different stretch so I find it necessary to stay fairly
    symmetrical.

    The real problem with drops is that it seems impossible to set bar/hood position that offers a
    comfortable grip at the same time as brake access.

    David Roberts