Numb Hands

Mike

Guest
I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get uncomfotably
numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??

> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while
> my
> > hands get uncomfotably numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure,
> gloves??
>
> Yes, padded gloves and fit bar ends so you can vary your hand position at regular intervals.
>
> --
> Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Yes - I always wear gloves (or mitts in summer) padding is essential.

Mike scribbled:

> I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get uncomfotably
> numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??

Gloves .. foam type handlebar grips and bar ends are good too .. ;)

--

My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

ill buy the house .. can you deliver to london?

news:[email protected]...
> Mike scribbled:
>
> > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get
> > uncomfotably numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??
>
> Gloves .. foam type handlebar grips and bar ends are good too .. ;)
>
> --

> My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

Sorry, don't have a trailer big enough ..

Mike scribbled:

Mike wrote:
> I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get uncomfotably
> numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??

Ozzo gel mitts* work for me - with both drop and straight bars.

A softer or wider front tyre will absorb more of that vibration in the first place. It shouldn't be
so soft that it'll slow you down or be at risk of pinch-flats, but front tyre should be at lower
pressure than the rear, and usually less than the recommended max pressure. Consider a wider tyre if
it's a 23 or 25c, and a "slick" one if it's a knobbly job.

The problem is probably not just due to vibration so altering handlebar height and
position can help.

* www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=1&text_company=MITTS
- "Washable gel padded mitts". Chunky palms, so they take quite a bit of getting used to and
wear in. Cutting out some of the "sweat wipe" terry fabric & foam from the inside makes them
cooler in the summer and a looser fit. Sizing tends to be over-large.

--
~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of "Mike"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get uncomfotably
> numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??

Best cure is drop handlebars, and then adopt a new position anytime any part of your anatomy is in
danger of getting uncomfortable.

--
Wear your paunch with pride!

> Yes - I always wear gloves (or mitts in summer) padding is essential.

Gloves and bar ends for me. If you're not already, ensure your wrists are fairly straight, alot of
people ride with their wrists bent.

Mike <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get uncomfotably
> numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??

A recumbent!

It seems to me that the answer always ends up being "A recumbent!"

How can I go faster ? A recumbent! How can I go further ? A recumbent! How can I be more
comfortable? A recumbent! How can I carry more things? A recumbent! How can I empty my wallet
faster? A recumbent!

--
Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

news:[email protected]...
> Mike scribbled:
>
> > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get
> > uncomfotably numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??
>
> Gloves .. foam type handlebar grips and bar ends are good too .. ;)

Foam handlebar grips .. yuck ... I've currently got a pair of thin fleece gloves under some padded,
fingerless cycle gloves .. perfect .. in the summer, just the cycle gloves ...

I'm gonna miss the winter ... :(

elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

> > How can I go faster ? A recumbent! How can I go further ? A recumbent! How can I be more
> > comfortable? A recumbent! How can I carry more things? A recumbent! How can I empty my wallet
> > faster? A recumbent!
> >

> Strange that, it also works with the 'car' word ...

No, a recumbent is quicker than a safety in traffic , a car isn't.

--
Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

In message <[email protected]>, Mike <[email protected]> writes
>I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get uncomfotably
>numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??

Gloves and bar ends do it for me.
--
Michael MacClancy

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a while my hands get
> > uncomfotably numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??
>
> Best cure is drop handlebars, and then adopt a new position anytime any part of your anatomy is in
> danger of getting uncomfortable.

That's assuming you can get comfortable on drops in the first place. I only view drops as a means of
going a couple of mph faster in a head wind. Otherwise I am no fan.

David Roberts

"DR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote
> > "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > I have a hybrid (specikalized Sirrus Sport) and after riding for a
while
> > > my hands get uncomfotably numb, due to the vibration. Whats the cure, gloves??
> >
> > Best cure is drop handlebars, and then adopt a new position anytime any part of your anatomy is
> > in danger of getting uncomfortable.
>
> That's assuming you can get comfortable on drops in the first place. I
only
> view drops as a means of going a couple of mph faster in a head wind. Otherwise I am no fan.

There is actually a bit more to it, numb hands may be caused by flexing the hand back when holding
the handlebars. Drop handlebars when ridden on the hoods or a full racing position mean that your
wrist will be straight.

I myself noticed this when I changed from a hybrid to a road bike, even though the road bike has
much harder tyres, my numbness almost disappeared

http://www.cptips.com/handsyn.htm

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote
> "DR" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > Best cure is drop handlebars, and then adopt a new position anytime any part of your anatomy
> > > is in danger of getting uncomfortable.
> >
> > That's assuming you can get comfortable on drops in the first place. I only view drops as a
> > means of going a couple of mph faster in a head wind. Otherwise I am no fan.
> >

> There is actually a bit more to it, numb hands may be caused by flexing
the
> hand back when holding the handlebars. Drop handlebars when ridden on the hoods or a full racing
> position mean that your wrist will be straight.

Yes, that's the benefit of bar ends. The nice thing about bar ends is that there is no difference in
stretch between grip positions. I usually have one hand on the bar grip and one on a bar end. With
drops the various positions have different stretch so I find it necessary to stay fairly
symmetrical.

The real problem with drops is that it seems impossible to set bar/hood position that offers a
comfortable grip at the same time as brake access.

David Roberts