Numb toe

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by CB, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. CB

    CB Guest

    I have just started commuting on the bike and although I am riding the
    same MTB (now 15 yrs old) with runners and toe clips, I did lash out and
    buy a set of bike shorts (the MTB type with pockets etc but with a
    chamois). My left big toe goes numb when I ride! The only difference to
    the setup I have ridden for years are the shorts and a few years of age.
    Reading Bicycling Aust Mag, an article on seats mentioned genital
    numbness as a consequence of a poor seat, but toes?
    I am going to assume the combination of shorts and seat might be doing
    it and I am sitting on a nerve or something. Does anyone know where this
    nerve would probably be located and should I be after a wider or
    narrower seat?
    On the plus side, the winter cold won't bother me if I am already numb!

    Tags:

  2. CB wrote:
    > I have just started commuting on the bike and although I am riding the
    > same MTB (now 15 yrs old) with runners and toe clips,

    What shoes are you using?
    Does it occur with other shoes?
    Have you consulted a reference on setting up toe clips?

    Just some ideas?

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Is your toe itchy? Gout?!?

  4. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > CB Wrote:
    >> My left big toe goes numb when I ride! The only difference to
    >> the setup I have ridden for years are the shorts and a few years of
    >> age.
    >>

    > Is your toe itchy? Gout?!?
    >

    > --
    > cfsmtb

    The last thing gout does is make your toe numb. Trust me on this.

  5. endroll

    endroll New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    any back problems in the past?

  6. CB

    CB Guest

    endroll wrote:
    > any back problems in the past?
    >

    > CB Wrote:
    >> I have just started commuting on the bike and although I am riding the
    >> same MTB (now 15 yrs old) with runners and toe clips, I did lash out
    >> and
    >> buy a set of bike shorts (the MTB type with pockets etc but with a
    >> chamois). My left big toe goes numb when I ride! The only difference to
    >> the setup I have ridden for years are the shorts and a few years of
    >> age.
    >> Reading Bicycling Aust Mag, an article on seats mentioned genital
    >> numbness as a consequence of a poor seat, but toes?
    >> I am going to assume the combination of shorts and seat might be doing
    >> it and I am sitting on a nerve or something. Does anyone know where
    >> this
    >> nerve would probably be located and should I be after a wider or
    >> narrower seat?
    >> On the plus side, the winter cold won't bother me if I am already numb!

    No, no back problems.

  7. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Welcome to a.b Cycling Medicine Pty Ltd (gotta limit the liability, given the advice we give!) :D :D

    There is only one way we can give you proper medical advice -

    This works best if you are at work:
    1. turn the contrast up high on your monitor.
    2. adjust your monitor so it is vertical and parallel horizontally to the front of your desk or work station.
    3. stand up and face away from your monitor.
    4. drop your trousers.

    Ahh, that's better. Now we can make a proper assessment....

    Seriously now:
    1. do you have a funny 'nervy' feeling down your left leg - if a nerve in your leg is to blame, you might expect the leg to be showing some effects, even if very minor.
    2. shoes - do the shoes have a relatively solid toe box? So that the toe clip doesn't bear against the numb left toe.
    3. pedals/soles of shoes - can you feel the pedals through the soles of your shoes. Maybe there is a pressure point being set up under the left side shoe.

    Finally, beware medical advice from cyclists in the same way that you beware cycling advice from doctors.

    SteveA

  8. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    try these:

    cut your toe nails (seriously!)
    thinner socks

    combined to make sure there is wiggle room in the toes of your shoes :)

    cheers,
    ali

  9. CB

    CB Guest

    SteveA wrote:
    > CB Wrote:
    >> I have just started commuting on the bike and although I am riding the
    >> same MTB (now 15 yrs old) with runners and toe clips, I did lash out
    >> and
    >> buy a set of bike shorts (the MTB type with pockets etc but with a
    >> chamois). My left big toe goes numb when I ride! The only difference to
    >> the setup I have ridden for years are the shorts and a few years of
    >> age.
    >> Reading Bicycling Aust Mag, an article on seats mentioned genital
    >> numbness as a consequence of a poor seat, but toes?
    >> I am going to assume the combination of shorts and seat might be doing
    >> it and I am sitting on a nerve or something. Does anyone know where
    >> this
    >> nerve would probably be located and should I be after a wider or
    >> narrower seat?
    >> On the plus side, the winter cold won't bother me if I am already numb!

    > Welcome to a.b Cycling Medicine Pty Ltd (gotta limit the liability,
    > given the advice we give!) :D :D
    >
    > There is only one way we can give you proper medical advice -
    >
    > This works best if you are at work:
    > 1. turn the contrast up high on your monitor.
    > 2. adjust your monitor so it is vertical and parallel horizontally to
    > the front of your desk or work station.
    > 3. stand up and face away from your monitor.
    > 4. drop your trousers.
    >
    > Ahh, that's better. Now we can make a proper assessment....
    >
    > Seriously now:
    > 1. do you have a funny 'nervy' feeling down your left leg - if a nerve
    > in your leg is to blame, you might expect the leg to be showing some
    > effects, even if very minor.
    > 2. shoes - do the shoes have a relatively solid toe box? So that the
    > toe clip doesn't bear against the numb left toe.
    > 3. pedals/soles of shoes - can you feel the pedals through the soles of
    > your shoes. Maybe there is a pressure point being set up under the left
    > side shoe.
    >
    > Finally, beware medical advice from cyclists in the same way that you
    > beware cycling advice from doctors.
    >
    > SteveA

    Thank you for that.
    I am just wearing very flexible runners and the old fashion toe clips. I
    might try a different pair and see if that makes a difference. I think
    you and Alison_B have reminded me of the times my toes went numb skiing
    and loosening the shoes and socks worked a treat. I might give that a
    go. :)
    Would you be able to write me a prescription for a pair of
    Shimano R215B Shoes and Dura-Ace SPDSL Pedals? That way I could convince
    the wife and claim them on Medicare. :)
    Cheers

  10. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher Guest

    CB Wrote:

    > Would you be able to write me a prescription for a pair of
    > Shimano R215B Shoes and Dura-Ace SPDSL Pedals? That way I could convince
    > the wife and claim them on Medicare. :)

    I'll prescribe them.

    You probably won't be able to read the prescription!

    And you're not getting them from Medicare...

    Dr. PiledHigher

  11. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    on that basis, may I recommend amputation ... of the head,
    the universal cureall, even cures gullability.

  12. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Ooooo that's a tad harsh.

    eye red dit on teh internerd so it must be ture

  13. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    --
    Frank
    [email protected]
    "alison_b" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > CB Wrote:
    > > I have just started commuting on the bike and although I am riding the
    > > same MTB (now 15 yrs old) with runners and toe clips, I did lash out
    > > and
    > > buy a set of bike shorts (the MTB type with pockets etc but with a
    > > chamois). My left big toe goes numb when I ride! The only difference to
    > > the setup I have ridden for years are the shorts and a few years of
    > > age.
    > > Reading Bicycling Aust Mag, an article on seats mentioned genital
    > > numbness as a consequence of a poor seat, but toes?
    > > I am going to assume the combination of shorts and seat might be doing
    > > it and I am sitting on a nerve or something. Does anyone know where
    > > this
    > > nerve would probably be located and should I be after a wider or
    > > narrower seat?
    > > On the plus side, the winter cold won't bother me if I am already numb!

    > try these:
    >
    > cut your toe nails (seriously!)
    > thinner socks
    >
    > combined to make sure there is wiggle room in the toes of your shoes :)
    >

    > cheers,
    > ali

    I recently bought a pair of Shimano SPD sandals. I'm running Time ATAC
    pedals. I had no problems at all with my old Shimano sandals but when
    wearing the new ones I'm getting numb toes and numb wobbly bits. The sandals
    are the only change.

    I'm playing with cleat positioning as I can't quite get the left cleat to
    sit in my normal position with these sandals (SD65s) and my left foot
    doesn't match the support bits on the sole. My old SD60s didn't give me
    these problems and I don't have numbness with any of my other shoes. I
    mention this because cut toenails, thinner socks and wiggle room don't apply
    to sandals.

    Perhaps it's worth looking at the support structurres in your shoes. My
    guess (and it's ONLY a guess!) is that, in my case, I'm unconsciously
    sitting wrongly to compensate for the discomfort in my left sandal. Sitting
    slightly out of whack produces the numb wobbly bits and the sole misfit (am
    I the sole misfit...?) is producing a pressure point causing the toe
    numbness - two symptoms with one root cause and two sub-causes.

    Try looking at your foot position on the pedal. Different sneakers fit
    differently on pedals (your toe clips won't allow you to place your foot in
    the same place with different shoes) so you might be causing a pressure
    point on your foot, causing you to compensate slightly too.

    Might be worth looking at...

    Frank

  14. CB

    CB Guest

    Plodder wrote:
    > --
    > Frank
    > [email protected]
    > Drop DACKS to reply
    > "alison_b" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> CB Wrote:
    >>> I have just started commuting on the bike and although I am riding the
    >>> same MTB (now 15 yrs old) with runners and toe clips, I did lash out
    >>> and
    >>> buy a set of bike shorts (the MTB type with pockets etc but with a
    >>> chamois). My left big toe goes numb when I ride! The only difference to
    >>> the setup I have ridden for years are the shorts and a few years of
    >>> age.
    >>> Reading Bicycling Aust Mag, an article on seats mentioned genital
    >>> numbness as a consequence of a poor seat, but toes?
    >>> I am going to assume the combination of shorts and seat might be doing
    >>> it and I am sitting on a nerve or something. Does anyone know where
    >>> this
    >>> nerve would probably be located and should I be after a wider or
    >>> narrower seat?
    >>> On the plus side, the winter cold won't bother me if I am already numb!

    >> try these:
    >>
    >> cut your toe nails (seriously!)
    >> thinner socks
    >>
    >> combined to make sure there is wiggle room in the toes of your shoes :)
    >>

    >> cheers,
    >> ali

    > I recently bought a pair of Shimano SPD sandals. I'm running Time ATAC
    > pedals. I had no problems at all with my old Shimano sandals but when
    > wearing the new ones I'm getting numb toes and numb wobbly bits. The sandals
    > are the only change.
    >
    > I'm playing with cleat positioning as I can't quite get the left cleat to
    > sit in my normal position with these sandals (SD65s) and my left foot
    > doesn't match the support bits on the sole. My old SD60s didn't give me
    > these problems and I don't have numbness with any of my other shoes. I
    > mention this because cut toenails, thinner socks and wiggle room don't apply
    > to sandals.
    >
    > Perhaps it's worth looking at the support structurres in your shoes. My
    > guess (and it's ONLY a guess!) is that, in my case, I'm unconsciously
    > sitting wrongly to compensate for the discomfort in my left sandal. Sitting
    > slightly out of whack produces the numb wobbly bits and the sole misfit (am
    > I the sole misfit...?) is producing a pressure point causing the toe
    > numbness - two symptoms with one root cause and two sub-causes.
    >
    > Try looking at your foot position on the pedal. Different sneakers fit
    > differently on pedals (your toe clips won't allow you to place your foot in
    > the same place with different shoes) so you might be causing a pressure
    > point on your foot, causing you to compensate slightly too.
    >
    > Might be worth looking at...
    >
    > Frank

    Hmmm... no one told me cycling was going to get this complicated!
    I'm worried now that you tell me that if I go out and buy proper shoes,
    cleats etc that I could still get numb toes. :(

  15. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    --
    Frank
    [email protected]
    "CB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Plodder wrote:
    > > --
    > > Frank
    > > [email protected]
    > > Drop DACKS to reply
    > > "alison_b" <[email protected]> wrote in

    message
    > > news:[email protected]

    numb!
    > >> try these:
    > >>
    > >> cut your toe nails (seriously!)
    > >> thinner socks
    > >>
    > >> combined to make sure there is wiggle room in the toes of your shoes :)
    > >>

    > >> cheers,
    > >> ali

    > > I recently bought a pair of Shimano SPD sandals. I'm running Time ATAC
    > > pedals. I had no problems at all with my old Shimano sandals but when
    > > wearing the new ones I'm getting numb toes and numb wobbly bits. The

    sandals
    > > are the only change.
    > >
    > > I'm playing with cleat positioning as I can't quite get the left cleat

    > > sit in my normal position with these sandals (SD65s) and my left foot
    > > doesn't match the support bits on the sole. My old SD60s didn't give me
    > > these problems and I don't have numbness with any of my other shoes. I
    > > mention this because cut toenails, thinner socks and wiggle room don't

    apply
    > > to sandals.
    > >
    > > Perhaps it's worth looking at the support structurres in your shoes. My
    > > guess (and it's ONLY a guess!) is that, in my case, I'm unconsciously
    > > sitting wrongly to compensate for the discomfort in my left sandal.

    Sitting
    > > slightly out of whack produces the numb wobbly bits and the sole misfit

    (am
    > > I the sole misfit...?) is producing a pressure point causing the toe
    > > numbness - two symptoms with one root cause and two sub-causes.
    > >
    > > Try looking at your foot position on the pedal. Different sneakers fit
    > > differently on pedals (your toe clips won't allow you to place your foot

    in
    > > the same place with different shoes) so you might be causing a pressure
    > > point on your foot, causing you to compensate slightly too.
    > >
    > > Might be worth looking at...
    > >
    > > Frank
    > >

    > Hmmm... no one told me cycling was going to get this complicated!
    > I'm worried now that you tell me that if I go out and buy proper shoes,
    > cleats etc that I could still get numb toes. :(

    I think cleated setup, properly adjusted, will give you much less trouble.
    Once they are set up correctly you'll always be in the proper pain-free and
    no-numb position.

    Cheers,

    Frank