Numb toes, help!

micman75

Jun 30, 2003
I was riding with normal sneakers and noticed that at the middle of a long ride, I was getting numb toes.

I figured it was the shoes so upgraded to a pair of Shimano's and Look pedals.

I still get a little numb on the right foot. (I unclip with my left on stops)

Any ideas on how to get rid of this? I have shifted the cleats a little but the problem is still there... there is ample room in the shoe.

Originally posted by micman75
I was riding with normal sneakers and noticed that at the middle of a long ride, I was getting numb toes.

I figured it was the shoes so upgraded to a pair of Shimano's and Look pedals.

I still get a little numb on the right foot. (I unclip with my left on stops)

Any ideas on how to get rid of this? I have shifted the cleats a little but the problem is still there... there is ample room in the shoe.

The problem may not be with your shoe or your pedal...the problem could be with poor circulation provided by a pinched nerve, restricted main artery, or a weak heart. You may want to bring it to the attention of you Doctor during your next routine visit at his or her office.

Best Wishes,
Vector7

I used to have that problem. It could be a couple of things: Make sure the cleat is over the balls of your feet if too far back the pressure behind may be cutting off the circulation. Or you may have ample room , but you're tightening too much. On hot days too, feet tend to swell, so you may want to loosen your shoes a little, then tighten when it's needed (hills, sprints, etc). Also wiggle your toes once and a while to keep the circulation moving.

Also be conscious of your pedalling style. I find a smooth pedal stroke alternates the pressure from the balls of the feet (down stroke) to the heel (up stroke).

Hope this helps.