Numb toes on bike - newbie question

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Rd, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Rd

    Rd Guest

    Had a great (first) outdoor training ride on Sat - about 70Km. Felt ok but experienced quite numb
    toes when peddling into wind on way back.

    Is this normal (it was light jacket weather - not real chilly) or is it my shoes?

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Rivermist

    Rivermist Guest

    In my experience it happens due to coldness. I sometimes happens if your shoes are too
    tight as well.

    "rd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Had a great (first) outdoor training ride on Sat - about 70Km. Felt ok
    but
    > experienced quite numb toes when peddling into wind on way back.
    >
    > Is this normal (it was light jacket weather - not real chilly) or is it my shoes?
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. Don't pedal with your toes. Make sure the ball of your foot is pushing down. It should be centered
    on the pedal spindle.

    "rd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Had a great (first) outdoor training ride on Sat - about 70Km. Felt ok but experienced quite numb
    > toes when peddling into wind on way back.
    >
    > Is this normal (it was light jacket weather - not real chilly) or is it my shoes?
    >
    > Thanks!

  4. Islandtime

    Islandtime Guest

    [email protected] (Dr. Steven Walker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Don't pedal with your toes. Make sure the ball of your foot is pushing down. It should be centered
    > on the pedal spindle.

    Totally agree, people tend to push more with their toes (uphills, when tired, first few rides of the
    year) instead of having their feet as level as possible. It also puts a different strain on the
    muscles and tendons using a "toe down" position that could cause some problems.

    Then there is the toe box too tight,laces too tight or bottom velcro strap too tight... probably
    another thing to watch for

    islandtime