Number of Mountain Bikes

javawizard

Guest
If you lined up all the mountain bikes in America, tire-to-tire, and
then rode a bike along that line, it would take you 18 weeks, (riding
40 hours per week, 15 miles per hour) to get to the end of the line. -
from www.odd-info.com

"javawizard" wrote: If you lined up all the mountain bikes in America,
tire-to-tire, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How long would it take to get them lined up, though?

On Jul 10, 10:54 am, javawizard <[email protected]> wrote:
> If you lined up all the mountain bikes in America, tire-to-tire, and
> then rode a bike along that line, it would take you 18 weeks, (riding
> 40 hours per week, 15 miles per hour) to get to the end of the line. -
> fromwww.odd-info.com

How long would take if you lined up the bikes actively being used? A
lot less I imagine.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:46:49 -0700, gds <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Jul 10, 10:54 am, javawizard <[email protected]> wrote:
>> If you lined up all the mountain bikes in America, tire-to-tire, and
>> then rode a bike along that line, it would take you 18 weeks, (riding
>> 40 hours per week, 15 miles per hour) to get to the end of the line. -
>> fromwww.odd-info.com

>How long would take if you lined up the bikes actively being used? A
>lot less I imagine.

Good point but you're missing the rest of the world where bikes are
in daily use. Bicycles still outnumber cars.

The number of people able to ride a bicycle is far greater than the
number of drivers. Hell, there's more cars than licensed drivers.

Even though the majority of drivers are able to ride a bicycle
empirical evidence shows that any idiot can drive a car.
--
zk

On Jul 10, 2:33 pm, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:46:49 -0700, gds <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Jul 10, 10:54 am, javawizard <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> If you lined up all the mountain bikes in America, tire-to-tire, and
> >> then rode a bike along that line, it would take you 18 weeks, (riding
> >> 40 hours per week, 15 miles per hour) to get to the end of the line. -
> >> fromwww.odd-info.com

> >How long would take if you lined up the bikes actively being used? A
> >lot less I imagine.

> Good point but you're missing the rest of the world where bikes are
> in daily use. Bicycles still outnumber cars.
>
> The number of people able to ride a bicycle is far greater than the
> number of drivers. Hell, there's more cars than licensed drivers.
>
> Even though the majority of drivers are able to ride a bicycle
> empirical evidence shows that any idiot can drive a car.
> --
> zk

Yep BUT all those european and asian transport bikes aren't Mountain
Bikes. And the OP talked about American mountain bikes. I imagine the
bikes filling basements and garages are some combo of mountain and
road bikes more than utility bikes.

On Jul 10, 8:28 pm, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "javawizard" wrote: If you lined up all the mountain bikes in America,
>
> tire-to-tire, (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> How long would it take to get them lined up, though?

How many would have been stolen by the time you lined up the last
one?

Would it be possible to fill in the gaps left by the stolen ones
quicker than new ones were being stolen?

gds wrote:
> On Jul 10, 10:54 am, javawizard <[email protected]> wrote:
>> If you lined up all the mountain bikes in America, tire-to-tire, and
>> then rode a bike along that line, it would take you 18 weeks, (riding
>> 40 hours per week, 15 miles per hour) to get to the end of the line.
>> - fromwww.odd-info.com

> How long would take if you lined up the bikes actively being used? A
> lot less I imagine.

If you limited it further, to mountain bikes that had been on an actual
mountain, you'd be done even faster.

Mike Kruger wrote, On 7/12/2007 9:09 PM:
> gds wrote:
>> On Jul 10, 10:54 am, javawizard <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> If you lined up all the mountain bikes in America, tire-to-tire, and
>>> then rode a bike along that line, it would take you 18 weeks, (riding
>>> 40 hours per week, 15 miles per hour) to get to the end of the line.
>>> - fromwww.odd-info.com

>> How long would take if you lined up the bikes actively being used? A
>> lot less I imagine.

> If you limited it further, to mountain bikes that had been on an actual
> mountain, you'd be done even faster.

Doh! It just occurred to me that my beloved Gary Fisher Aquila has never
been on anything that I would consider a mountain. That's shameful, I
have no excuse. :-(

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)