Number Plates Fetish/Obsession

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gadget

Recently I've picked up an obsession with number plates and here are a few that I've noticed.

The first was on a white van which read 50D D3M

The second was on an old Volvo estate which I thought was kind of appropriate for their reputation.
APC . That was it just APC

I don't know why I'm obsessed with this but I have a habit of noticing cars and their odd
number plates.

Gadget

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Recently I've picked up an obsession with number plates and here are a few that I've noticed.
>
> The first was on a white van which read 50D D3M
>
> The second was on an old Volvo estate which I thought was kind of appropriate for their
> reputation. APC . That was it just APC
>
> I don't know why I'm obsessed with this but I have a habit of noticing
cars
> and their odd number plates.
>
and what do these plates mean? I've never understood so-called "personal" plates where numbers are
letters except for I/1 of course. If anyone ever tried to boast to me thay had one and was counting
a 4 as an A or a 3 as a B or whatever I'd just ignore them.

"Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Recently I've picked up an obsession with number plates and here are a
few
> > that I've noticed.
> >
> > The first was on a white van which read 50D D3M
> >
> > The second was on an old Volvo estate which I thought was kind of appropriate for their
> > reputation. APC . That was it just APC
> >
> > I don't know why I'm obsessed with this but I have a habit of noticing
> cars
> > and their odd number plates.
> >
> and what do these plates mean? I've never understood so-called "personal" plates where numbers are
> letters except for I/1 of course. If anyone ever tried to boast to me thay had one and was
> counting a 4 as an A or a 3 as a
B
> or whatever I'd just ignore them.
>

Oh, i've got a 3 as a B ... (you're ugly and blah blah blah (let's see if i'm being ignored!))

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 01:20:53 +0100, "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Recently I've picked up an obsession with number plates and here are a few that I've noticed.
>
>The first was on a white van which read 50D D3M
>

Sod you too, Gadget ;-)

I recently read in Guy's favourite newspaper (Daily Mail) that A1 has been misplaced. At least
twenty years ago I saw the plate A2 on a reasonably modern Roller.

To my mind, the whole idea of "cherished plates" is certainly an obsession.

Even worse than 50D D3M is house names along the lines of Llamedos.

Nosdoh Semaj

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

Thus spake James Hodson <[email protected]>

> I recently read in Guy's favourite newspaper (Daily Mail) that A1 has been misplaced.

That's a shame. When I was a nipperette, it belonged to a Mr Trevor Roper or Laker (I think) of
Leicester. As we walked past his house & car to the synagogue, he remarked to my Mum that he liked
her kids (there were 4 or 5 of us at the time). Mum said she liked his number plate.

Then there was ABC 1, which was used by the Lord Mayor of Leicester, who lived two doors away...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

"Gadget" wrote ...
> Recently I've picked up an obsession with number plates and here are a few that I've noticed.
>
>
> The second was on an old Volvo estate which I thought was kind of appropriate for their
>
cars
>
> Gadget
>
Most American motor vehicle departments spend a fair bit of time weeding out potentially offensive
number plates. Wonder if they would have noticed that one?

Since almost every state allows personalized license plates (number plates) some people make a game
out of trying to say something really rude with their license plates without getting censored by the
motor vehicle department. Someone drove around Berkeley, CA, for several years with license plates
reading "AH MERDE" before the Department of Motor Vehicles found someone who could speak French...
--
mark

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 16:34:33 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thus spake James Hodson <[email protected]>
>
>> I recently read in Guy's favourite newspaper (Daily Mail) that A1 has been misplaced.
>
[SNIP]
>Then there was ABC 1, which was used by the Lord Mayor of Leicester, who lived two doors away...

Helen

A belated thank you for the MS info mail, which, like A1, was also misplaced.

James

--

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
>
> "Gadget" wrote ...
> > Recently I've picked up an obsession with number plates and here are a
few
> > that I've noticed.
> >
> > The first was on a white van which read 50D D3M
> >
> > The second was on an old Volvo estate which I thought was kind of appropriate for their
> > reputation. APC . That was it just APC
> >
> > I don't know why I'm obsessed with this but I have a habit of noticing
> cars
> > and their odd number plates.
> >
> > Gadget
> >
> Most American motor vehicle departments spend a fair bit of time weeding
out
> potentially offensive number plates. Wonder if they would have noticed
that
> one?
>
> Since almost every state allows personalized license plates (number
plates)
> some people make a game out of trying to say something really rude with their license plates
> without getting censored by the motor vehicle department. Someone drove around Berkeley, CA, for
> several years with license plates reading "AH MERDE" before the Department of Motor Vehicles found
> someone who could speak French...
> --
Is 3 supposed to be E then? I doubt they would have noticed it as it doesn't resemble it at all.
Besides was 50D D3M a legal plate ever - seems a strange combination. Sure they weren't just "having
a laugh" and had it made up for some sort of motorist "joke". Rubbish.

Gadget wrote:
>
>
>
> I don't know why I'm obsessed with this but I have a habit of noticing cars and their odd
> number plates.
>
> Gadget

We played a game a few years back (1980s) with number plates. You had to see the numbers in order
starting from 1 and working up. It took weeks to get any where and you had to trust everyone
playing. It got addictive once I got past the twenties although I did eventually get bored. I think
I got passed a 100.

Looking back now I'm thinking what was the point? :)
--
Mark

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Recently I've picked up an obsession with number plates and here are a
> few
> > > that I've noticed.
> > >
> > > The first was on a white van which read 50D D3M
> > >
> > > The second was on an old Volvo estate which I thought was kind of appropriate for their
> > > reputation. APC . That was it just APC
> > >
> > > I don't know why I'm obsessed with this but I have a habit of noticing
> cars
> > > and their odd number plates.
> > >
> > and what do these plates mean? I've never understood so-called "personal" plates where numbers
> > are letters except for I/1 of course. If anyone ever tried to boast to me thay had one and was
> > counting a 4 as an A or a 3 as a
> B
> > or whatever I'd just ignore them.
> >
>
> Oh, i've got a 3 as a B ... (you're ugly and blah blah blah (let's see if i'm being ignored!))

It must be 500 DBM with illegal spacing, bolt additions and dodgy letter fonts.

Simon Mason

the Mark wrote:
> We played a game a few years back (1980s) with number plates. You had to see the numbers in order
> starting from 1 and working up. It took weeks to get any where and you had to trust everyone
> playing. It got addictive once I got past the twenties although I did eventually get bored. I
> think I got passed a 100.

ISTR I got past 400. Mind you, it did take several years.

> Looking back now I'm thinking what was the point? :)

It killed time on long and boring car journeys. Of course on a bike ride you don't get bored and
don't need to kill time - sadly my parents were never persuaded of that :-(

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
Thomas Paine

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 17:30:40 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thus spake James Hodson <[email protected]>
>
>
>> A belated thank you for the MS info mail, which, like A1, was also misplaced.
>
>Would you like me to resend it?

No ta, Helen. I merely misplaced it - a dumb e-mail filter filter - rather than lost it. A
combination of mine and your mails gives me a good enough clue to what's going on.

Thanks anyway James

--

Many years ago at an Advertising company where I used to work, the Chairman had a Bentley with the
registration RR1.

...of course, the client was Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, and he had to give it back when the client went
elsewhere - to a much inferior agency, of course!
:p

---------------------------
Peter Connolly Acute Computing Derby UK

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 01:20:53 +0100, "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Recently I've picked up an obsession with number plates and here are a
few
> >that I've noticed.
> >
> >The first was on a white van which read 50D D3M
> >
>
> Sod you too, Gadget ;-)
>
> I recently read in Guy's favourite newspaper (Daily Mail) that A1 has been misplaced. At least
> twenty years ago I saw the plate A2 on a reasonably modern Roller.
>
> To my mind, the whole idea of "cherished plates" is certainly an obsession.
>
> Even worse than 50D D3M is house names along the lines of Llamedos.
>
> Nosdoh Semaj
>
> --
> A credit limit is NOT a target.

Have seen BOI 10X

--

Martin Bulmer "Mixless Foot Persuasion"

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>
>
cars
>
> Gadget

Status
Not open for further replies.