Number plates for bike rack

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by just us, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. just us

    just us Guest

    Any info on those little number plates and where to get them? Can you simply
    paint up your own and put them on the back of your rack? We just fingers
    crossed that we wont get caught without one, but I think it is time we got
    one.
    Ta Kathy.

    Tags:

  2. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    just us wrote:
    > Any info on those little number plates and where to get them? Can you simply
    > paint up your own and put them on the back of your rack? We just fingers
    > crossed that we wont get caught without one, but I think it is time we got
    > one.
    > Ta Kathy.

    Search google with the following words :

    bicycle number plates site:.au

  3. Ray

    Ray Guest

    says...
    > Any info on those little number plates and where to get them? Can you simply
    > paint up your own and put them on the back of your rack? We just fingers
    > crossed that we wont get caught without one, but I think it is time we got
    > one.
    > Ta Kathy.

    If you're in Vic, it is illegal to use a hand painted facsimile on a
    bike rack, but OK for a trailer. Go figure that out!

    In Vic, just apply through Vic Roads and pay the one time tax of about
    $25-30, you can do it over the phone too, and get your nice hand made in
    HM prison plate.

    Cheers, Ray

  4. just us wrote:
    > Any info on those little number plates and where to get them?

    NSW, the RTA sells them.
    Otherwise, ?i just made my own up on sheet metal painted yellow and six
    stick on letters/numbers of 2" size. Been using this design for over 24
    years in NSW over two vehicles.

  5. Spiny Norman

    Spiny Norman Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:34:55 +1100, Terry Collins
    <[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:

    >just us wrote:
    >> Any info on those little number plates and where to get them?

    >NSW, the RTA sells them.
    >Otherwise, ?i just made my own up on sheet metal painted yellow and six
    >stick on letters/numbers of 2" size. Been using this design for over 24
    >years in NSW over two vehicles.

    I am told that it is illegal to have a home made number plate but it
    is one of those offences that you only get booked for if you commit
    some other offence. It makes sense otherwise why bother to get a new
    set of plates for your car? if one gets lost or damaged just knock up
    another on the computer

    I when to a great deal of trouble to make a number plate for my
    original bike rack only to complete it about four days before the RTA
    annouced they were introducing the bike rack plates. According to the
    bloke I spoke to at the RTA before this they expected you to remove
    your 'official' number plate from the car and attach it to your bike
    rack, then return it to the car when you removed the bike rack!

    Regards
    Prickles

    Timendi causa est nescire
    This message only uses recycled electrons

  6. Spiny Norman wrote:

    > I am told that it is illegal to have a home made number plate

    Haven't heard that one.
    Does the law say it must be one the government supplies?

    > According to the
    > bloke I spoke to at the RTA before this they expected you to remove
    > your 'official' number plate from the car and attach it to your bike
    > rack, then return it to the car when you removed the bike rack!

    Typical stupid public servant expectation.

    Personally, I'll go on believing it is FUD until someone starts telling
    me the exact legislation that says this.

    OTOH, my home made sign uses letters 2" high and is clearly visible, so
    there can be no arguments about a cheap knock up.

  7. smartie

    smartie New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2005
    If in Vic. you should be able to purchase one off the Vicroads website. Can't remember the address though.

  8. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Terry Collins wrote:
    > Spiny Norman wrote:
    >

    > > I am told that it is illegal to have a home made number plate

    > Haven't heard that one.
    > Does the law say it must be one the government supplies?
    >
    > > According to the
    > > bloke I spoke to at the RTA before this they expected you to remove
    > > your 'official' number plate from the car and attach it to your bike
    > > rack, then return it to the car when you removed the bike rack!

    > Typical stupid public servant expectation.
    >

    > Personally, I'll go on believing it is FUD until someone starts telling
    > me the exact legislation that says this.

    And here we have the Internet, the greatest collection of information
    in the history of the human race, available, searchable, and this
    information is *dead* easy to find. If you read this thread, you'll
    find a great big spoon full of yummy search terms to feed a search
    engine.

  9. Hi Terry,

    Ignorance of the law is no excuse, dude... ;)

    Don't know where you are - but in Qld you need to get a 'bike rack'
    number plate. Costs no more than $30 as I recall (once only - not
    yearly or anything...).

    Feel free to save the princely sum of $30 if you like - but your'e not
    allowed to whinge if you get caught!!

    Cheers,
    Abby

  10. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004

    You want stupid - Queensland has to take the cake here.

    Replacement for a damaged or defaced ordinary plate is $19. Ok so far.
    Fine for obscured number plate $ 145 (?) and home made bike rack plate doesnt count when Mr Plod starts writing his ticket.

    Go to Motor Registry and fill out totally weird form applying for Personalised Plates and fill in box requesting an "Accessory Plate". $ 49 thank you.

    Now, when you have to replace a damaged or defaced plate on the car it will cost you $57 for the same sucker that would cost you $19 if you didnt have a bike rack plate.

    Now that has to be the biggest bone headed beuracratic bullshit rip off ever devised by any government department.

    Still Very pissed off and when I calm down will write a letter ( that hasnt got fsck as every second word) to local state MP who is "assisting Roads"

    Red Bull Red Bull ................

  11. Absent Husband wrote:
    > Hi Terry,
    >
    > Ignorance of the law is no excuse, dude... ;)

    I haven't found "the law" that says that yet.
    Just someone trying to sell me a set of plates {:).

    23 years so far. With my home made "plate" I think I'll keep it.

  12. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-15, HughMann (aka Bruce)
    > Still Very pissed off and when I calm down will write a letter ( that
    > hasnt got fsck as every second word) to local state MP who is
    > "assisting Roads"
    >
    > Red Bull Red Bull ................

    You need wings so you can fly to the local state MP to hand^Wwing
    deliver the message, eh?

    --
    TimC
    Chairman: I'm glad to see so many bright-eyed and bushy-tailed people

  13. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Terry Collins wrote:
    > Absent Husband wrote:
    > > Hi Terry,
    > >
    > > Ignorance of the law is no excuse, dude... ;)

    > I haven't found "the law" that says that yet.

    Then you didn't look very hard.

    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi10_rev3.pdf

    Here's a tip : google.

    That was the *first* thing that google returned when looking for this :

    bicycle carrier number plates nsw site:.au

  14. Bleve wrote:
    > Terry Collins wrote:

    >>I haven't found "the law" that says that yet.

    > Then you didn't look very hard.
    >
    > http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi10_rev3.pdf

    Yes, a very nice brochure on fitting bicycle racks to a motor vehicle,
    but not the act that says it is illegal to make your own "number plate"
    for your bicycle rack.

    THE RTA is a government department that contains a public servant who
    job is to maximise the sale of specialty number plates. He is not going
    to maximise those sales by saying "you can make your own".

    In my understanding of the law, unless it is specifically prohibited,
    then it is legal. {:).

    > Here's a tip : google.

    Do you remember Alta Vista?
    Well, google is just as useful

    > That was the *first* thing that google returned when looking for this :
    >
    > bicycle carrier number plates nsw site:.au

    And it returned the information you sought. Not what I was seeking.

    Hmm, perhaos the fact that my home made number plate also includes a
    stop and tail light also has helped.

  15. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Terry Collins wrote:
    > Bleve wrote:
    > > Terry Collins wrote:

    > >>I haven't found "the law" that says that yet.

    > > Then you didn't look very hard.
    > >
    > > http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi10_rev3.pdf

    > Yes, a very nice brochure on fitting bicycle racks to a motor vehicle,
    > but not the act that says it is illegal to make your own "number plate"
    > for your bicycle rack.

    Read this (took me 3 minutes to find it on the NSW RTA website)

    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/2005_12ruh_english.pdf

    Section 6, item 1 is "must be : issued by the RTA".

    Here it is in total.

    NUMBER PLATES
    Number plates on the vehicle you drive or own
    must be:
    Issued by the RTA.
    Able to be seen and read clearly from anywhere
    within a 45 degree arc of the vehicle's centreline,
    at a distance of at least 20 metres (see diagrams
    on the right).That means they cannot be hidden
    by anything (such as a tow bar or anything being
    carried). If you carry bicycles on a bike rack which
    hides the rear number plate on your car in any
    way, you must either move the rear number plate
    to a position where it can be clearly seen or buy
    a special bike rack number plate to attach to the
    bike rack. A bike rack number plate has the same
    number as your car's number plates, and can be
    ordered from motor registries or by calling
    13 22 13.
    Clearly readable - not dirty, worn or damaged.
    Given back to the RTA after the registration
    has expired.
    The rear number plate must have a light so that it is
    clearly visible at night.

    So now you know the law in NSW. Feel free to use the search engine of
    your choice to find the road act section - it shouldn't take long. You
    may even find the penalty as part of the legislation. It won't be hard
    to find. Happy travels.

  16. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Last time I spoke to the registration mob in WA, it was the same. I use a computer generated plate for the light bar on the bike rack. My number plates were stolen a while back, and they are now rivetted to the car to stop future thefts. Short of drilling the rivets out every time, they are 'permanently' attached to the car.

    (Advice from the police was that the stolen plates would likley have been used in a petrol drive-off. New plates cost me $18.40, but they were a new number so all insurance, RAC details had to be updated. In WA they won't give you the same rego number if the plates have been stolen or lost. You can get old ones remade with the same numbers but you have to hand the 'worn out' ones in.)

    I was even told that it is illegal to display any number of plates on a vehicle other than 2, ie 3 plates is illegal. I haven't checked the law on this issue though.

    SteveA

  17. Craig Strong

    Craig Strong New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2004

    I was travelling with a friend who did not have a rack plate and we were pulled over and got a $50 fine on the spot. It does happen.
    I called Vic Roads to see what the go was with the requirements and they said it was illegal to not have a plate and also it was illegal to have a home made job.
    I ordered mine then and there and it cost about $30.
    I asked about what to do in the meantime until it arrived and thay said to unscrew my back number plate and attach it to the rack.

  18. Bleve wrote:

    > So now you know the law in NSW. Feel free to use the search engine of
    > your choice to find the road act section - it shouldn't take long.

    lol, famous last words.

    Sadly, I'd rather be riding my bicycle that wasting time on google or
    any other search engine trying to work out how to phrase a request to
    have it pop up the desired information.

    P.S. did you note the acual offences listed.

  19. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005

  20. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Terry Collins wrote:
    > Bleve wrote:
    >
    > > So now you know the law in NSW. Feel free to use the search engine of
    > > your choice to find the road act section - it shouldn't take long.

    > lol, famous last words.
    >
    > Sadly, I'd rather be riding my bicycle that wasting time on google or
    > any other search engine trying to work out how to phrase a request to
    > have it pop up the desired information.
    >
    > P.S. did you note the acual offences listed.

    http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/

    Enjoy.