Number plates for pedal cycles

Alex Potter wrote on Friday 16 December 2005 17:44:

> Matt B wrote on Friday 16 December 2005 16:49:
>
>> Alex Potter wrote:

>>> Because the poorer a person is, the higher is their marginal rate of
>>> tax. By definition, regressive.

>> Regressive tax: A tax that takes a larger percentage of the income of
>> low-income people than of high-income people.
>>
>> A flat rate percentage gives the same percentage regardless of
>> income.
>>

> Wrong definition - the true definition is: A tax that takes a larger
> proportion of the income of low-income people than of high-income
> people.

Hmmm - not enough sleep, and the jargon was leant for an exam 45 years
ago......
--
Regards
Alex

Matt B <[email protected]> writes:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> Matt B <[email protected]> writes:
>>>I'd support you in asking to have alcohol duty abolished (and tobacco
>>>duty for that matter).

>> You wouldn't be supporting me. I think they're a good idea, and I say
>> that as a payer of both.

> In what way are they good? They hit the poor _hard_, yet mean nothing
> to the rich.

Alcohol and, especially, tobacco are harmful products. Usually, the
brake on consumption that leads from excise duty is bad; in this case,
it's good. Either the duty raises revenue or it reduces
consumption. It's win-win. And, yes, it hits the poor harder than the
rich, but given that tobacco is a voluntary luxury with health
disbenefits, I'd consider that to be a win for the poor - and, again, I
say that as a not particularly wealthy smoker.

"He swapped five photos of his wife
For one of Barry John"

Matt B wrote:
> Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
>> Matt B wrote:

>>> How do you arrive at that conclusion from that hypothetical
>>> discussion?

>> With my razor sharp noticing that you used the future tense.

> We were talking "futures", fantasising, in fact :)
>
>> I think that it is relevant to the discussion whether you are
>> actually a motor vehicle user, so:
>>
>> Do you own a motor vehicle?

> Yes - do you?

Yes. A purchase out of necessity.

>> Do you drive a motor vehicle?

> Yes, but not often any of the ones I own. Do you drive?

Yes. More than I'd like, but mainly on the special car ghetto provided at
great expense in the 1960s which nearly links my house to my work. I intend
to move job to one more in line with my skills soon.

Do you drive on the public road?

>> Answer the question.

> Yes sir!
>
>>> What's your preferred tax/public service model?

>> I'm broadly happy with the current one.

> You support the grossly regressive nature of it - you surprise me.

You don't know me. I don't think the current tax system is grossly
regressive, though.

>> Also, I intend to reduce the amount of fuel duty per mile that I pay
>> by 25% this weekend, without changing my car or my driving style,
>> just while we're talking about taxation on road users.

> You're moving abroad?

I'm going to start admixing vegetable oil to my diesel with a 27p/litre duty
rate.

>> Also, since the train connections for my commute have improved, I'm
>> intending to commute by train (80 miles) and bike (32miles) 1 day
>> out of 3 as well.

> Wow.

My mistake. Take 16 miles off the bike distance and add 16 to the train
distance.
--
Ambrose

Alex Potter wrote:
> Alex Potter wrote on Friday 16 December 2005 17:44:
>

>>Matt B wrote on Friday 16 December 2005 16:49:

>>>Regressive tax: A tax that takes a larger percentage of the income of
>>>low-income people than of high-income people.
>>>
>>>A flat rate percentage gives the same percentage regardless of
>>>income.
>>>

>>Wrong definition - the true definition is: A tax that takes a larger
>>proportion of the income of low-income people than of high-income
>>people.

> Hmmm - not enough sleep, and the jargon was leant for an exam 45 years
> ago......

So, please clarify - you accept that a flat single percentage rate
income tax is not regressive?

--
Matt B

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:16:33 GMT, Alex Potter
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>Because the poorer a person is, the higher is their marginal rate of
>tax. By definition, regressive.

Whereas at present the marginal rate actually reduces with increasing
income once you reach the NI threshold, a system introduced IIRC by
those champions of fairness the Monster Raving Tory Party.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 01:36:42 +0000, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> said in
<[email protected]>:

>> who
>> in their right mind, seeing the traffic in western world for the first
>> time, could think that this is in anyway a rational and sane way of
>> transporting goods and people around?

>MattB?

You missed the bit about "in their right mind"

Guy
--

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Matt B <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>Keith Willoughby wrote:

>>>You wouldn't be supporting me. I think they're a good idea, and I say
>>>that as a payer of both.

>>In what way are they good? They hit the poor _hard_, yet mean nothing
>>to the rich.

> Alcohol and, especially, tobacco are harmful products.

Why not ban them?

> Usually, the
> brake on consumption that leads from excise duty is bad; in this case,
> it's good.

Sorry, expalin.

> Either the duty raises revenue or it reduces
> consumption.

Why is it good to raise revenue from something unhealthy?

> It's win-win.
> And, yes, it hits the poor harder than the
> rich, but given that tobacco is a voluntary luxury with health
> disbenefits, I'd consider that to be a win for the poor

What about the rich - how are they discouraged - or don't they matter.

Clive George wrote on Friday 16 December 2005 18:21:

> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> So, please clarify - you accept that a flat single percentage rate
>> income tax is not regressive?

> I don't.
>
> clive

Nor do I - unless somehow the definition has changed its meaning in the
intervening years...... Am I going senile?

As I remember it, an income tax rate that does not rise in a sliding
scale with increasing income, i.e. a single, flat-rate tax, is
regressive. One that does is progressive. Can any of you with more
recent study of economics please confirm this?

--
Regards
Alex
The From address above is a spam-trap.
The Reply-To address is valid

> As I remember it, an income tax rate that does not rise in a sliding
> scale with increasing income, i.e. a single, flat-rate tax, is
> regressive. One that does is progressive. Can any of you with more
> recent study of economics please confirm this?

regressive tax:
"Tax such that the higher the income of the taxpayer the smaller the
proportion or percentage paid in that tax. This contrasts with
progressive taxes where the proportion paid rises as income increases,
and proportional taxes where the proportion paid remains the same at
all levels of income. Examples of regressive taxes in the UK are the
council tax and excise duties."

Matt B wrote:
> Yes, from proper progressive taxes (flat rate income tax), like it
> always should have been.

I believe that your understanding of progressive / regressive /
proportional taxation has been shown to be different from the norm, but
I think I know where you're going.

> They already claw that back (unjustly in my view) through motor insurance.

You make a choice to increase the risk to yourself and others, it seems
only fair that you pay the difference. (You being "one" in this case)

> Again, as, everyone here continues to remind me, public roads are not
> the property of motorists. All have access, so _all_ should pay.

But motorways are (I'll give you a clue: MOTORway!) so they should be
exclusively paid for by motorists. This will have knock-on effects into
general transportation costs which will either be borne by the
consumers, or will force alternative transportation methods to be
explored for goods haulage.

> Hehe. As it happens I think all VED and fuel tax should be scrapped and
> the motorways we all _need_, whether we actually drive on them or not,
> should be paid for by all.

But in the same breath you are disparaging of regressive taxation? It
appears that you believe that the fairness of taxation and provision
should apply to all things and people except drivers and motorways. We
do not _all_ need motorways. There are other ways of moving goods that
don't involve the laying and relaying of fragile road structures. We
have come to depend upon them, but an infrastructure shake up in the
order of magnitude that you are proposing could take many forms.

> We need the motorway network (yes _network_) to eliminate congestion and
> return the roads between urban centres to the people. Motor vehicles
> need motor-ways for inter urban journies.

This is where the fallacy lies. We have built an economy and society
around motorised long-haul travel and we are now trapped by it. The
level of change required to solve our current transport problems by
building a comprehensive motorway network of the scale you propose,
could equally be employed to approach the problem from the other end.

Problem: Too many cars / mile of road.
Solution 1: More road.
Solution 2: Fewer cars.

One of these requires greater funding and commitment with no guarantee
of return (See past performance on road construction). Which one it is,
is left as an exercise for the reader.

> _All_ accidents involving
> motor vehicles on these roads would then be zero.

Presumably in your world there has never been a motorway pile-up?

> Roads shared by motor
> and non-motor traffic should be designed to give _all_ users equal
> priority (no kerbs, lines, traffic lights...).

Agreed. This is not just a matter of reconstruction though, it is a
matter of social re-engineering. It'll take more than the removal of a
few lights for that one to happen.

And with regard to your acceptance of a significant tax increase as the
price for saving a few thousand lives per year, how many traffic police
can we employ for £30,000m / year?

Jon

Matt B <[email protected]> writes:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> Matt B <[email protected]> writes:

>>> In what way are they good? They hit the poor _hard_, yet mean
>>> nothing to the rich.

>> Alcohol and, especially, tobacco are harmful products.

> Why not ban them?

Why ban them? Let's start from that premise. It makes me more
comfortable. I'm not much of a banner.

>> Usually, the brake on consumption that leads from excise duty is bad;
>> in this case, it's good.

> Sorry, expalin.

Excise duties pervert the market for a product. In general, you'd
prefer a free market for it. In the case of tobacco especially, the
reduced demand due to regressive, punative taxation is probably a
societal good, whilst still allowing those who proritise tobacco
consumption to buy it.

>> Either the duty raises revenue or it reduces consumption.

> Why is it good to raise revenue from something unhealthy?

Revenue needs to be raised. Why not do it whilst simultaneously reducing
demand for something that is widely thought to be a negative for
society?

>> It's win-win.
>> And, yes, it hits the poor harder than the
>> rich, but given that tobacco is a voluntary luxury with health
>> disbenefits, I'd consider that to be a win for the poor

> What about the rich - how are they discouraged - or don't they matter.

They can't be discouraged from smoking by price alone. The amount of
taxation required to do so would lead to an even bigger black market
than alredy exists. Somehow, though, I don't think you're asking that
question in good faith.

>> say that as a not particularly wealthy smoker.

"The men who run the world are democrats at home and dictators abroad."
- George Monbiot

Jon Senior wrote:
> Matt B wrote:
>
>> Yes, from proper progressive taxes (flat rate income tax), like it
>> always should have been.

> I believe that your understanding of progressive / regressive /
> proportional taxation has been shown to be different from the norm, but
> I think I know where you're going.

You are so kind :) By "progressive", of course, I meant non-regressive,
and you're right, I _do_ really mean /neutral/ or /proportional/.

>> They already claw that back (unjustly in my view) through motor
>> insurance.

> You make a choice to increase the risk to yourself and others, it seems
> only fair that you pay the difference. (You being "one" in this case)
>
>> Again, as, everyone here continues to remind me, public roads are not
>> the property of motorists. All have access, so _all_ should pay.

> But motorways are (I'll give you a clue: MOTORway!) so they should be
> exclusively paid for by motorists.

Like the NHS is for the sick. The healthy don't need it so why should
they pay? Or the education system?

> This will have knock-on effects into
> general transportation costs which will either be borne by the
> consumers, or will force alternative transportation methods to be
> explored for goods haulage.

I'm not saying, and never have, that commercial use should be free. No,
no, no. Any commercial use should be paid for at a commercial rate.

>> Hehe. As it happens I think all VED and fuel tax should be scrapped
>> and the motorways we all _need_, whether we actually drive on them or
>> not, should be paid for by all.

> But in the same breath you are disparaging of regressive taxation?

Yes, like fuel duty, excise duty, council tax, road tolls, ...

--
Matt B

Jon Senior wrote:
> Matt B wrote:

(oops I hope I managed to pull, in time, the previous incomplete version
of this reply which I posted due to pressing the wrong key sequence :))

>> Yes, from proper progressive taxes (flat rate income tax), like it
>> always should have been.

> I believe that your understanding of progressive / regressive /
> proportional taxation has been shown to be different from the norm, but
> I think I know where you're going.

You are so kind :) By "progressive", of course, I meant
non-regressive, and you're right, I _do_ really mean /neutral/ or
/proportional/.

>> They already claw that back (unjustly in my view) through motor
>> insurance.

> You make a choice to increase the risk to yourself and others, it seems
> only fair that you pay the difference. (You being "one" in this case)
>
>> Again, as, everyone here continues to remind me, public roads are not
>> the property of motorists. All have access, so _all_ should pay.

> But motorways are (I'll give you a clue: MOTORway!) so they should be
> exclusively paid for by motorists.

Like the NHS is for the sick. The healthy don't need it so why should
they pay? Or the education system?

> This will have knock-on effects into
> general transportation costs which will either be borne by the
> consumers, or will force alternative transportation methods to be
> explored for goods haulage.

I'm not saying, and never have, that commercial use should be free. No,
no, no. Any commercial use should be paid for at a commercial rate.

>> Hehe. As it happens I think all VED and fuel tax should be scrapped
>> and the motorways we all _need_, whether we actually drive on them or
>> not, should be paid for by all.

> But in the same breath you are disparaging of regressive taxation?

Yes, like fuel duty, excise duty, council tax, road tolls, ...

> It
> appears that you believe that the fairness of taxation and provision
> should apply to all things and people except drivers and motorways.

How is it fair for all public amenities except roads to be publicly
funded, and for motorists to then have to pay for roads, from which the
whole community benefits, too?

> We
> do not _all_ need motorways.

Like we don't all need the education service, or public parks, or
swimming baths.

> There are other ways of moving goods that
> don't involve the laying and relaying of fragile road structures. We
> have come to depend upon them, but an infrastructure shake up in the
> order of magnitude that you are proposing could take many forms.

We *want* them.

>> We need the motorway network (yes _network_) to eliminate congestion
>> and return the roads between urban centres to the people. Motor
>> vehicles need motor-ways for inter urban journies.

> This is where the fallacy lies. We have built an economy and society
> around motorised long-haul travel and we are now trapped by it.

It's flexible, economical and scalable.

> The
> level of change required to solve our current transport problems by
> building a comprehensive motorway network of the scale you propose,
> could equally be employed to approach the problem from the other end.
>
> Problem: Too many cars / mile of road.
> Solution 1: More road.
> Solution 2: Fewer cars.

What do we want? We want independence, flexibility, freedom. I don't
want to queue for a bus, queue for a train, sit next to the passenger
from hell, hear someone else's music, inhale someone else's body odour,
stop only at prescribed stops. I am an individual.

> One of these requires greater funding and commitment with no guarantee
> of return (See past performance on road construction). Which one it is,
> is left as an exercise for the reader.

Hehe.

>> _All_ accidents involving motor vehicles on these roads would then be
>> zero.

> Presumably in your world there has never been a motorway pile-up?

Yes. They don't happen on traffic free roads, where the motorways have
removed _all_ traffic.

>> Roads shared by motor and non-motor traffic should be designed to give
>> _all_ users equal priority (no kerbs, lines, traffic lights...).

> Agreed. This is not just a matter of reconstruction though, it is a
> matter of social re-engineering. It'll take more than the removal of a
> few lights for that one to happen.

We're halfway there then ;-)

> And with regard to your acceptance of a significant tax increase as the
> price for saving a few thousand lives per year, how many traffic police
> can we employ for £30,000m / year?

Increase? Motorists may get a decrease if the burden is /shared/. We
don't need police we need design and education.

--
Matt B

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> Matt B wrote:

>> Yes, but not often any of the ones I own. Do you drive?

> Yes. More than I'd like, but mainly on the special car ghetto provided
> at great expense in the 1960s which nearly links my house to my work. I
> intend to move job to one more in line with my skills soon.
>
> Do you drive on the public road?

Almost exclusively.

>>> I'm broadly happy with the current one.

>> You support the grossly regressive nature of it - you surprise me.

> You don't know me. I don't think the current tax system is grossly
> regressive, though.

You find council tax, VAT, alcohol duty, tobacco duty, VED, fuel duty,
which all hit lower earners harder, fair and acceptable?

>>> Also, I intend to reduce the amount of fuel duty per mile that I pay
>>> by 25% this weekend, without changing my car or my driving style,
>>> just while we're talking about taxation on road users.

>> You're moving abroad?

> I'm going to start admixing vegetable oil to my diesel with a 27p/litre
> duty rate.

Sounds interesting, do you have any links about that.

--
Matt B

Clive George wrote:
> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>So, please clarify - you accept that a flat single percentage rate income
>>tax is not regressive?

> I don't.

I'm baffled, explain why you think tax exactly proportional to income is
regressive.

--
Matt B

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Matt B <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>Keith Willoughby wrote:

>>>Alcohol and, especially, tobacco are harmful products.

>>Why not ban them?

> Why ban them? Let's start from that premise. It makes me more
> comfortable. I'm not much of a banner.

No, I'm the same, but I wondered how you could justify making then
inaccessible to the poor, yet do nothing to prevent access by the rich.

>>>Usually, the brake on consumption that leads from excise duty is bad;
>>>in this case, it's good.

>>Sorry, expalin.

> Excise duties pervert the market for a product. In general, you'd
> prefer a free market for it. In the case of tobacco especially, the
> reduced demand due to regressive, punative taxation is probably a
> societal good, whilst still allowing those who proritise tobacco
> consumption to buy it.

But making the choice disproportionately harder for the poor.

>>>Either the duty raises revenue or it reduces consumption.

>>Why is it good to raise revenue from something unhealthy?

> Revenue needs to be raised. Why not do it whilst simultaneously reducing
> demand for something that is widely thought to be a negative for
> society?

Why not on saturated fats, sugar, salt, etc?

>>>It's win-win.
>>>And, yes, it hits the poor harder than the
>>>rich, but given that tobacco is a voluntary luxury with health
>>>disbenefits, I'd consider that to be a win for the poor

>>What about the rich - how are they discouraged - or don't they matter.

> They can't be discouraged from smoking by price alone. The amount of
> taxation required to do so would lead to an even bigger black market
> than alredy exists.

So why not a complete ban?

> Somehow, though, I don't think you're asking that
> question in good faith.

I'm exploring the reasoning which differentiates banning from taxing.

--
Matt B

"Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Clive George wrote:
>> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>So, please clarify - you accept that a flat single percentage rate income
>>>tax is not regressive?

>> I don't.

> I'm baffled

There there. Not an entirely uncommon situation, is it?

> explain why you think tax exactly proportional to income is regressive.

Coz necessary expenditure isn't exactly proportional to income?

clive

Clive George wrote:
> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Clive George wrote:
>>
>>>"Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>I don't.

>>I'm baffled

> There there. Not an entirely uncommon situation, is it?
>
>>explain why you think tax exactly proportional to income is regressive.

> Coz necessary expenditure isn't exactly proportional to income?

Good point. Is "necessary expenditure" equal for all, or does it depend
upon circumstances? should a "necessary expenditure" allowance be means
tested?

--
Matt B