Number plates for pedal cycles

Matt B wrote:
> > No state-wide ordinances there.

> No, but state wide provision for any "local authority" within the state
> to require all bicycles to carry a plate.

Precisely. It is not the same thing at all. While there may be
provision at a state level to allow a thing to be mandated locally, it
is not the same thing as having it mandated at state level.

ie. there is provision for LA in UK to have bylaws banning dogs or
golf from certain public spaces. That does not equate to a national ban
on golf or dogs, however desirable that might be in some peoples eyes.

> > name two 'states' with a license plate law..

> http://tinyurl.com/7owug
>
> Are there any without (I'm not going through them all)?

Those are city ordinances, not state mandated licensing..

...d

> > IMHO all road users need to be treated equally. This would imply,
> > amongst other things, _either_ removing the necessity for motor vehicles
> > to display plates, _or_ requiring pedal cyclists (and pedestrians) to
> > display them.

actually a friend of mine can show you his tattoo , a series of numbers
on his left arm , which is a number of the sort you mean.He and his
friends were given these free of charge by Nazis.

David Martin wrote:
> Matt B wrote:
>
>>>No state-wide ordinances there.

>>No, but state wide provision for any "local authority" within the state
>>to require all bicycles to carry a plate.

> Precisely.

So we agree, loads of places require push bikes to carry plates.

> It is not the same thing at all. While there may be
> provision at a state level to allow a thing to be mandated locally, it
> is not the same thing as having it mandated at state level.

That doesn't matter. There *is* compulsory push bike licensing - that
was the nub (knub? gnub?) of it.

> ie. there is provision for LA in UK to have bylaws banning dogs or
> golf from certain public spaces. That does not equate to a national ban
> on golf or dogs, however desirable that might be in some peoples eyes.

No, but the places that implement the laws can be cited as examples of
places which do it.

>>>name two 'states' with a license plate law..

>>http://tinyurl.com/7owug
>>
>>Are there any without (I'm not going through them all)?

> Those are city ordinances, not state mandated licensing..

Do bikes have to carry plates in some places in the US - or not?

--
Matt B

"Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Marz wrote:
>> Matt B wrote:
>>
>>>In certain US states _all_ pedal cycles have to display plates.
>>>

>> Name two!

> Take your pick:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/847tt

Section 6 seems a good idea..... registration, compulsory use of cycle
paths, trick cycling prohibited, etc.... cut'n'pasted here....

Section 6.28. Registration.
(1) No bicycle shall be propelled or operated upon any of the public
streets,
sidewalks, avenues, lanes, alleys, parks, bridges or public places
within the city,
unless such bicycle is registered with the police department.
Application for such
registration shall be filed with the police department, stating the
owner's name,
residence address, the make and model of the bicycle, the serial
number of the
bicycle and such other information relative to the bicycle as the
chief of police or
his designated representative shall require. Such application shall
be made upon
blank forms furnished by the police department.
(2) The chief of police or his designated representative shall file all
applications for
registration of bicycles in the police department and keep a
complete and
accurate record of the facts appearing therein together with a
numerical list of the
license plate numbers assigned to each bicycle.
(3) The fee for the registration of a bicycle under this section shall
be $1.00. All
money derived from the registration of bicycles shall be paid by the
police
department into the general fund of the city.
(4) In the event of transfer of ownership of a bicycle registered under
this section,
the new owner shall, within ten days from such transfer, make
application on a
similar form for the transfer of registration to the new owner, and
shall
accompany such application with a transfer fee of $0.25.
(5) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil
infraction.

Section 6.29. After section 6.28, add section 6.29 as follows:
Section 6.29. License number and plate generally.
(1) Upon receipt of the fee prescribed by section 6.28 and a
satisfactory application
pursuant to such section, the chief of police or his designated
representative
shall assign a number to each bicycle so registered and delivery to
the applicant
a license plate bearing the number so assigned. Such license plate
shall be
firmly attached to the rear of the bicycle and shall be valid for
that bicycle only
and shall not be transferred from one bicycle to another. Upon
assigning such
number and issuance of such plate, the number of such bicycle shall
be stamped
upon the framework of the bicycle so registered.
(2) All bicycle license plates shall remain the property of the city,
and the chief of
police or any of the policemen of the city are hereby authorized to
confiscate and
take possession and custody of any such plate attached to any such
bicycle for
which it was not issued, or when the person to whom the plate was
issued has
made or is making unlawful use thereof.
(3) In the event of the loss of a plate issued under this section, a
duplicate plate may
be obtained by paying the cost thereof to the city.
(4) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil
infraction.

Section 6.30. After section 6.29, add section 6.30 as follows:
Section 6.30. Removal, alteration, etc., of license or frame number, license
plate, seal,
etc.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully or maliciously
remove, destroy,
mutilate or alter the number of any bicycle frame registered
pursuant to the
article. It shall be unlawful for any person to remove, destroy,
mutilate or alter
any bicycle license plate, seal or registration card during the time
in which such
license plate, seal or registration card is operative. Nothing in
this section shall
prohibit the police department from stamping numbers on the frames
of bicycles
on which no serial number can be found, or on which such number is
illegible or
insufficient for identification purposes.
(2) The police department is herewith empowered and authorized to
impound any
unlicensed bicycle or any bicycle found with the license or frame
number
removed, destroyed, mutilated or altered until such time as the
person in
possession, or the owner of the bicycle, can prove ownership. In the
event proper
ownership is not proven within 60 days after the date of
impoundment, the
bicycle can be sold at public auction.
(3) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil
infraction.
Section 6.31. After section 6.30, add section 6.31 as follows:
Section 6.31. Riding prohibited on limited access or multilane roadway.
(1) No person shall ride any bicycle on Apple Avenue, Laketon Avenue,
Webster
Avenue, Muskegon Avenue, Sherman Boulevard, Seaway Drive, or any
other
limited access or multilane roadway within the city, where parking
has been
prohibited. Any person operating along these routes shall be
required to use the
pedestrian walkway adjacent thereto.
(2) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil
infraction.

Section 6.32. After section 6.31, add section 6.32 as follows:
Section 6.32. Riding prohibited in specified areas.
Sec. 6.32 concerning riding prohibited in specified areas has been repealed.
(Ord. No. 2151, 5-24-05)
Section 6.33. After section 6.32, add section 6.33 as follows:
Section 6.33. Operation in dangerous districts.
(1) If the safety of the operator of a bicycle, the condition of the
sidewalk or highway,
the foot or vehicular traffic, including the safety of pedestrians,
is such in any
district as to require the operator of the bicycle to dismount and
push the vehicle
or to avoid such district in the exercise of ordinary caution and
prudence, it shall
be the duty of such operator of any bicycle to dismount and push the
same
through such dangerous district or to avoid the district entirely
while it is unsafe
for the operation of such bicycle.
(2) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil
infraction.

Section 6.34. After section 6.33, add section 6.34 as follows:
Section 6.34. Pedal bicycle with helper motor not to be ridden on sidewalks.
(1) No person shall ride a pedal bicycle with helper motor on city
sidewalks.
(2) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil
infraction.
Section 6.35. After section 6.34, add section 6.35 as follows:
Section 6.35. Racing and trick riding.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person riding a bicycle to race with
any other person
riding a bicycle, to ride without using both hands on handlebars, or
to indulge in
other trick riding upon any streets, sidewalks, avenues, lanes,
alleys, parks,
bridges or other public places within the city.
(2) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil
infraction.
Section 6.36. After section 6.35, add section 6.36 as follows:
Section 6.36. Riding abreast, curving to and fro.
(1) It shall be unlawful to ride abreast on bicycles upon any highway or
public street,
or to ride curving to and fro thereon. It shall be unlawful for
bicycles to be ridden
abreast on the sidewalks of the city, except when passing.
(2) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil
infraction.
State law reference(s)-- Riding abreast on highways, MCL 257.660(2).

Section 6.37. After section 6.36, add section 6.37 as follows:
Section 6.37. Riding on private property.
(1) No person riding a bicycle shall ride the same upon or across the
private property
of another person without the permission of the owner of such
property or the
person in rightful possession thereof.

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:16:28 +0000, Matt B wrote:

> Given the increased number of pedal cyclists on our roads,

Matt, put your pork-pie hat on and your string-backed gloves.
Get the starter handle out and start your motor car and go
for a jolly drive out on the Queen's highway. And rant at the
person in the car in the traffic jam in front of you.
Leave the rest of us alone to enjoy cycling.

Tosspot wrote:
> Washington,

http://www.bicyclealliance.org/safety/rcwlaw.html doesn't seem to
include it.

> Oklahoma

Oklahoma appears to have provision for, but not state-wide licensing:

"Bicyclists should carry identification with them at all times. Although
bicyclists are not required to be licensed, they are subject to arrest
and detention."

Source: http://www.oklahomabicyclecoalition.com/manual/man04.html

> and California.

"License Requirement. VC 39002

a) A city or county may adopt a bicycle licensing ordinance or
resolution providing that no resident shall operate any bicycle on any
street, road, highway, or other public property within the city of
county, unless such bicycle is licensed in accordance with this division.

b) Any bicycle not licensed under this division may be additionally
regulated or licensed pursuant to local ordinance or may be licensed
upon request of the owner.

c) It is illegal for any person to to tamper with, destroy, mutilate or
alter any license indicia (marking) or registration form or to remove,
alter, or mutilate the serial number, or the identifying marks of a
licensing agency's identifying symbol on any bicycle frame licensed
under the provision of this division."

(Source: http://www.bikelink.com/law_safety.htm)

Also suggests that there is state-wide provision for city / council
licencing laws, but no state-wide requirement.

Do you have some sources that might disprove the above?

> That will be a pint of Old Peculiar please.

Make mine a Young's Old Nick!

Jon

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:35:04 +0000, Matt B <[email protected]> wrote:

>mb wrote:
>> Matt B wrote:
>>
>>>Do you have any views on this topic? I raised it after reading the
>>>South Yorks police appeal WRT the old lady who had her bag snatched
>>>by a cyclist.

>> I think you mean; thief on a bike.
>> If the guy stole a bag, what's to stop him first stealing a bike with
>> which to carry out the crime?

>Yes, very good point. So only criminals in motor vehicles need display
>plates then.

Given the rate at which they break speed limits, that'll be all of them.

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:37:33 +0000, John Hearns <[email protected]>
said in <[email protected]>:

>Matt, put your pork-pie hat on and your string-backed gloves.
>Get the starter handle out and start your motor car and go
>for a jolly drive out on the Queen's highway.

LOL! MattB as a clone of Tory Boy - like it :)

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On 13 Dec 2005 15:18:02 -0800, [email protected] said in
<[email protected]>:

>actually a friend of mine can show you his tattoo , a series of numbers
>on his left arm , which is a number of the sort you mean.He and his
>friends were given these free of charge by Nazis.

<whoop!> <whoop!> Godwin alert!

Guy
--

<[email protected]>:

>actually a friend of mine can show you his tattoo , a series of numbers
>on his left arm , which is a number of the sort you mean.He and his
>friends were given these free of charge by Nazis.

<whoop!> <whoop!> Godwin alert!

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On 13 Dec 2005 18:26:35 GMT, Nobody Here <[email protected]> said
in <[email protected]>:

>Gien the increased number of trolls by **** B isn't it time to ignore him?
>Please please do!

But the replies are so funny, and his evasions so very pathetic :)

Admittedly this was one of his most spectacularly unoriginal trolls...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:31:39 GMT, "ian henden" <[email protected]> said
in <[email protected]>:

>Section 6 seems a good idea..... registration, compulsory use of cycle
>paths, trick cycling prohibited, etc.... cut'n'pasted here....

Excellent, if we pursued that maybe we, too, could reach American
levels of cycle usage.

Guy
--

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On 13 Dec 2005 18:26:35 GMT, Nobody Here <[email protected]> said
> in <[email protected]>:
>

>>Gien the increased number of trolls by **** B isn't it time to ignore him?
>>Please please do!

> But the replies are so funny, and his evasions so very pathetic :)
>
> Admittedly this was one of his most spectacularly unoriginal trolls...
>
> Guy

ive got to admit i quite enjoy them too :)

turkeytickler wrote on Tuesday 13 December 2005 23:09:

> Would I be allowed to ride my bike in the outside lane of the M25? :-D

Hmmmm. I wish that several people of my acquaintance would do precisely
that!

--
Regards
Alex

Jon Senior wrote:
> Tosspot wrote:
>
>> Washington,

> http://www.bicyclealliance.org/safety/rcwlaw.html doesn't seem to
> include it.
>
>> Oklahoma

> Oklahoma appears to have provision for, but not state-wide licensing:
>

> "Bicyclists should carry identification with them at all times.
> Although bicyclists are not required to be licensed, they are subject
> to arrest and detention."
>
> Source: http://www.oklahomabicyclecoalition.com/manual/man04.html
>
>> and California.

> "License Requirement. VC 39002
>
> a) A city or county may adopt a bicycle licensing ordinance or
> resolution providing that no resident shall operate any bicycle on
> any street, road, highway, or other public property within the city
> of county, unless such bicycle is licensed in accordance with this
> division.
>
> b) Any bicycle not licensed under this division may be additionally
> regulated or licensed pursuant to local ordinance or may be licensed
> upon request of the owner.
>
> c) It is illegal for any person to to tamper with, destroy, mutilate
> or alter any license indicia (marking) or registration form or to
> remove, alter, or mutilate the serial number, or the identifying
> marks of a licensing agency's identifying symbol on any bicycle frame
> licensed under the provision of this division."
>
> (Source: http://www.bikelink.com/law_safety.htm)
>
> Also suggests that there is state-wide provision for city / council
> licencing laws, but no state-wide requirement.
>
> Do you have some sources that might disprove the above?
>
>> That will be a pint of Old Peculiar please.

> Make mine a Young's Old Nick!

Oh buggrit, why do the yanks insist on Federal, State, county *and* city
regulations. Wtf happens when you cycle from one city to another across
a state boundary?

Quite right, although a quick look reveals a lot of cities do run a scheme.

I shall provide a pint of Old Nick first possible opportunity.

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 13 Dec 2005 15:18:02 -0800, [email protected] said in
><[email protected]>:
>
>>actually a friend of mine can show you his tattoo , a series of numbers
>>on his left arm , which is a number of the sort you mean.He and his
>>friends were given these free of charge by Nazis.

><whoop!> <whoop!> Godwin alert!

Err, doesn't Godwin require ****** be mentioned directly, not just the
Nazis?

Uh, oh damn ... :)

--
Nobby

John Hearns wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:16:28 +0000, Matt B wrote:
>
> > Given the increased number of pedal cyclists on our roads,

> Matt, put your pork-pie hat...

Oi! Lay off of my pork-pie hat, rude boy!

> ... And rant at the person in the car in the traffic jam in front of you.

I just love that about our motor-assisted brethren: they haven't copped
on that *they* are the problem, its them that's causing the jams! Like
the two old gits in the Harry Enfield sketch stuck behind a lamp-post,
honking and f'in & blinding for it to get out the way.

Anyways, all this talk of regulations and controls and who pays for
what is meaningless: there are just too many cars on the roads, being
used for trivial journeys.

Tosspot wrote:

> Washington, Oklahoma and California.
>
> That will be a pint of Old Peculiar please.

I've cycled a fair bit in California and a bit in Washington and can't
ever recall seeing a bicycle license plate. Oklahoma I only went to
once and I can't say.

Step away from the pint.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwins_Law
--

ian henden wrote:

> What happens if you don't stop when told to do so by a Merkin policeman?
> You get shot at, and you stop.

You've been watching too much TV

--
Tony