Number plates for pedal cycles

Matt B wrote:
> Marz wrote:
>
>> Matt B wrote:
>>
>>> In certain US states _all_ pedal cycles have to display plates.
>>>

>> Name two!

> Take your pick:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/847tt

You can even get customised plates with your own message on them!

"Custom Bicycle License Plates 501205012-BP. Great publicity for anyone.
The bicycle explosion in the U.S. has created thousands of opportunities
for you to get free publicity with bicycle license plates. Complete
design embossing and precision color work are featured on each tag.
Aluminum tag comes with mounting holes to fit any standard bicycle
mounting. Size: 3"X6"X.024"." [1]

Note the size 3" x 6" - they *are* number plates as we know them on cars :)

[1] Ref: http://www.westsky.com/custom-license-plates.htm

--
Matt B

In article <[email protected]>, Matt B wrote:
>Alistair Gunn wrote:
>> Matt B twisted the electrons to say:
>>
>>>IMHO all road users need to be treated equally.

>> So cyclists should be allowed on motorways,

>Yes, if they can maintain the requisite minimum speed - which is the
>only reason why many types of motor vehicle are excluded from using them.

That minimum speed, not mentioned in the Highway Code, nor signposted
on the motorways using the standard minimum speed limit sign (white
numbers on a blue circle), being what?

I've driven at 10mph or less on the M11, entirely legally as far as I know,
and no-one stopped or overtook me. At least I didn't see anyone overtake
me; the fog was thick enough that if someone had being driving in the
outside lane with no lights I wouldn't have seen them. But I doubt anyone
driving in the dark and fog without lights would have got far.

In article <[email protected]>, Matt B wrote:
>John Hearns wrote:
>>
>> So let's clear an adequate amount of room for free-flowing motor only
>> roads all over London, and lets not forget the room needed for those cycle
>> paths to keep the pesky cyclists from getting under or wheels.

>Now stand back and think about how daft that is for a moment. When the
>Victorians had a similar problem fitting a railway network in what did
>*they* do?

Built a series of disconnected networks with the middle left out, so
anyone crossing London has to arrive at one terminus, transfer to another
means of transport, and set off again from another rail station.
That works (sort of) because trains are pretty much the same as each other.
I can't see the average motorist being told that he can leave his car in
a car park on one side of London, catch the tube, and get another car on
the other side of London is going to work too well.

In article <[email protected]>, Matt B wrote:
>John Hearns wrote:
>>
>> So let's clear an adequate amount of room for free-flowing motor only
>> roads all over London, and lets not forget the room needed for those cycle
>> paths to keep the pesky cyclists from getting under or wheels.

>Now stand back and think about how daft that is for a moment. When the
>Victorians had a similar problem fitting a railway network in what did
>*they* do?

Built a series of disconnected networks with the middle left out, so
anyone crossing London has to arrive at one terminus, transfer to another
means of transport, and set off again from another rail station.
That works (sort of) because trains are pretty much the same as each other.
I can't see the average motorist being told that he can leave his car in
a car park on one side of London, catch the tube, and get another car on
the other side of London is going to work too well.

In article <[email protected]>, Matt B wrote:
>Alan Braggins wrote:

>>>Take it from me, there are plenty of places in the US where it is a
>>>legal requirement for a bicycle to carry a license plate for use on
>>>public road.

>> Then you'll have no problem naming two states and providing some evidence,
>> will you? Unless, of course, you are a lying troll.

>Sheesh...
>
>"The State of California requires a bicycle license for any bicycle used
>on any street.

No it doesn't, it allows cities or counties to make such regulations.
And a sticker on the downtube isn't really comparable to a plate.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d16_7/vc39002.htm

>"Minnesota Statute 168C

Which several people have pointed out has been repealed since.

Care to try again?

Peter B wrote:
> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> vehicles?
>
>>>Err operating a motor vehicle is voluntary.

>>How is that relevant? Living in the UK is voluntary.

> Being born in the UK is not voluntary,

But choosing to stay there in adulthood is.

> choosing to drive/own a car in the UK
> at a later date is voluntary.
>
> BTW, I didn't volunteer to be born in England but did volunteer to drive in
> the UK, did volunteer to live outside the UK (coincidentally in Manitoba
> where bicycle number plates were compulsory)
> in the UK and volunteered to drive in the UK again.

> But wtf has all this got
> to do with someone being mugged by a POB, the mugger could have been on
> foot, in-line skates, a stolen motorbike, disabled carriage, you name it.

Precisely. So remind me why cars have number plates.

--
Matt B

Alan Braggins wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Matt B wrote:
>> Alistair Gunn wrote:
>>> Matt B twisted the electrons to say:

>>> So cyclists should be allowed on motorways,

>> Yes, if they can maintain the requisite minimum speed - which is the
>> only reason why many types of motor vehicle are excluded from using
>> them.

> That minimum speed, not mentioned in the Highway Code, nor signposted
> on the motorways using the standard minimum speed limit sign (white
> numbers on a blue circle), being what?
>
> I've driven at 10mph or less on the M11, entirely legally as far as I
> know, and no-one stopped or overtook me. At least I didn't see anyone
> overtake me; the fog was thick enough that if someone had being
> driving in the outside lane with no lights I wouldn't have seen them.
> But I doubt anyone driving in the dark and fog without lights would
> have got far.

Although obviously, if it had been a cyclist riding past without lights,
you'd have been able to see them without a problem, despite the fog :)

--
Ambrose

Alan Braggins wrote:

> Care to try again?

Why? Do you deny that there *are* places that mandate bicycle number
plates?

--
Matt B

Alan Braggins wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Matt B wrote:
>
>>John Hearns wrote:
>>
>>>So let's clear an adequate amount of room for free-flowing motor only
>>>roads all over London, and lets not forget the room needed for those cycle
>>>paths to keep the pesky cyclists from getting under or wheels.

>>Now stand back and think about how daft that is for a moment. When the
>>Victorians had a similar problem fitting a railway network in what did
>>*they* do?

> Built a series of disconnected networks with the middle left out, so
> anyone crossing London has to arrive at one terminus, transfer to another
> means of transport, and set off again from another rail station.
> That works (sort of) because trains are pretty much the same as each other.
> I can't see the average motorist being told that he can leave his car in
> a car park on one side of London, catch the tube, and get another car on
> the other side of London is going to work too well.

You missed my point. I was alluding to the network of _underground_
railways that they built, given the lack of availability of surface land.

--
Matt B

Matt B wrote:

> AIUI, many/most U.S. states require bicycles to display a "licence plate".

Don't know about the legal requirement, but the only kind of license
plates I see on bikes in the U.S. are the ones you can get out of
cereal boxes. So much for that pointless line of argument.

>>And in what way is it acceptable then for unprotected motorcyclists?

It's more unacceptable for motorcyclists, yes. But you have to draw a
line somewhere.

>>What's sensible about having a number plate on, say, a road roller which
>>cannot go faster than a pedestrian, yet not having one on, say, an
>>enclosed recumbent?

If you had to deal separately with every single type of vehicle used by
every tiniest minority the legislation would soon become horrendously
complex. Motorised/Non-motorised is a very good first approximation,
and does the job.

>>How do number plates affect that statistic? Would cars kill more with

no plates?
No, but many more drivers would get away with it without being caught.
Wasn't that your original point?

>> Why would plates discourage cycling?

1) Because it means dealing with hassle, bureacracy, and
administrational fees when purchasing a bike. It would discourage
casual or occasional cycle journeys by no-so-keen cyclists. It would
complicate the purchase of second hand bicycles. Also, number plates
aren't easy to attach to a bike and are likely to fall off/be
vandalised, making the bike unuseable.

>>Perhaps we should remove the need for plates on hybrid cars - to encourage their use.

If the benefits of hybrid cars outweighed the removal of plates, I'd be
for it. But contrary to bicycles, they don't.

Alan Braggins wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Matt B wrote:
>
>>Alistair Gunn wrote:
>>
>>>Matt B twisted the electrons to say:

>>>So cyclists should be allowed on motorways,

>>Yes, if they can maintain the requisite minimum speed - which is the
>>only reason why many types of motor vehicle are excluded from using them.

> That minimum speed, not mentioned in the Highway Code, nor signposted
> on the motorways using the standard minimum speed limit sign (white
> numbers on a blue circle), being what?

I dunno, but I know that vehicles which are inherently slow are banned -
I don't know the exact criteria, but push bikes, mopeds, tractors and
the like are expressly prohibited. The only common denominator being
lack of speed. There is no minimum speed limit applied to those which
are entitled to use it. The police may, however, take a dim view (and
even apply a "careless driving" charge) to those deemed to be driving
dangerously slowly.

> I've driven at 10mph or less on the M11, entirely legally as far as I know,

Yes, there is no minimum speed limit.

> and no-one stopped or overtook me. At least I didn't see anyone overtake
> me; the fog was thick enough that if someone had being driving in the
> outside lane with no lights I wouldn't have seen them. But I doubt anyone
> driving in the dark and fog without lights would have got far.

Hehe. Congestion slows traffic too.

--
Matt B

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:33:58 +0000, Matt B wrote:

> You missed my point. I was alluding to the network of _underground_
> railways that they built, given the lack of availability of surface land.

I was alluding to the London to Greenwich railway, I am about a mile away
from it. A huge series of brick arches marching across SE London.
And I would imagine not a few homes cleared out of the way.

Matt B wrote:
> Alan Braggins wrote:
>
> > Care to try again?

> Why? Do you deny that there *are* places that mandate bicycle number
> plates?
>
> --
> Matt B

Why, because you've failed to provide evidence that any place in the US
has an active bicycle license plate requirement.

Laters,

Marz

"Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Matt B wrote:
> > Marz wrote:

> >> Name two!

> > Take your pick:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/847tt

> You can even get customised plates with your own message on them!
>
> "Custom Bicycle License Plates 501205012-BP. Great publicity for anyone.
> The bicycle explosion in the U.S. has created thousands of opportunities
> for you to get free publicity with bicycle license plates. Complete
> design embossing and precision color work are featured on each tag.
> Aluminum tag comes with mounting holes to fit any standard bicycle
> mounting. Size: 3"X6"X.024"." [1]
>
> Note the size 3" x 6" - they *are* number plates as we know them on cars

:)

And these are required by law, troll?

Matt B wrote:

> Good lad! Now justify plates on motor vehicles.

They kill 3,500 people a year? They pay a large proportion of the taxes
in the country? They are used as the getaway vehicle for most crimes?
Abandoned vehicles cost a lot of money to remove and are potentially
hazardous?

How many of those apply to bikes?

Matt B wrote:

> You can even get customised plates

Cool - put me down for S9O KES ;-)

> Precisely. So remind me why cars have number plates.

Its so that motorists who involuntarily break the speed limit can be
stealth taxed by the scameras - its stated fact on uk.tosspot...

jtaylor wrote:
> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Precisely. So remind me why cars have number plates.
>>

> It is required by law, troll.

Ah, so let me think of a supplementary question - yes I've got one...
Why is there a law that requires cars to have number plates?

--
Matt B