Number Plates?

When I grew up in Belgium, 35 years ago or so, my bike had to have a
small metal plate with an embossed number attached to the front axle.
It's colour and shape changed every year. It was not expensive, but was
a hassle. It had to be obtained from the local council offices. I don't
know how it would fit over QR. I presume there would need to be a
separate bolt on the fork for the plate. I don't know if these number
plates still exist.

Mike

permajeo wrote:
> It's been done before. 1940's France I think.
>
> 'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

Still doesn't make it a good idea. What benefit does anyone think they
will get out of it? Ken can propose any silly scheme, he won't have to
implement it as it will need to be implemented nationally. If it is
just intended as a revenue raiser, any fee that is not excessive to
cyclists (which would be a miniscule amount) will be taken up by
running the system.

David Lloyd

permajeo wrote:
> It's been done before. 1940's France I think.
>
> 'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
elsewhere in the world?

--
Matt B

Matt B wrote:
> permajeo wrote:
>> It's been done before. 1940's France I think.
>>
>> 'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

> Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
> elsewhere in the world?

I seem to remember it was tried in New York, but wouldn't work because
of riders coming over from Jersey...
All the best
Dan Gregory

Dan Gregory wrote:
> Matt B wrote:
>> permajeo wrote:
>>> It's been done before. 1940's France I think.
>>>
>>> 'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

>> Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
>> elsewhere in the world?
>>

> I seem to remember it was tried in New York, but wouldn't work because
> of riders coming over from Jersey...

Apparently the District of Columbia requires it[1], and insist on a
metal registration plate.

"1202.6 It shall be a violation of this chapter for any person to
operate a bicycle registered under the provisions of this chapter
without both a registration tag and a metal registration plate."

[1]
http://www.ddot.dc.gov/ddot/frames.asp?doc=/ddot/lib/ddot/information/bicycle/pdf/18_DCMR_12.pdf

--
Matt B

in message <[email protected]>, permajeo
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke Wrote:
>> in message <[email protected]>, permajeo
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>> > It's been done before. 1940's France I think.
>> >
>> > 'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

>> And the benefit would be?
>>

> Didn't say there would be any benefit just thought the picture was
> amusing. I did wonder about the musos looking behind them though.

Sorry, didn't look at the picture.

;; An enamorata is for life, not just for weekends.

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:09:41 +0100, Matt B
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
>elsewhere in the world?

It certainly used to be in Switzerland.

"Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:09:41 +0100, Matt B
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
> >elsewhere in the world?

> It certainly used to be in Switzerland.

Was in Switzerland last year and hired bikes - they didn't have them and
neither did any of the others that we saw.

DaveB

Dave wrote:
> "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:09:41 +0100, Matt B
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
>>> elsewhere in the world?

>> It certainly used to be in Switzerland.

> Was in Switzerland last year and hired bikes - they didn't have them
> and neither did any of the others that we saw.

IIRC the Schnibble's "number plates" were part of an insurance scheme rather
than any kind of registration. When I was last there - 1994 - some bikes
had them, some didn't.

--
Dave Larrington
Kinder surprise! What's the surprise? Your children are now dead.

> >It's been done before. 1940's France I think.

A friend of ours and his dad used their bikes for resistance work, and
on one occasion had a chat with a german soldier while the american
airman on his bike kept shtum.Registration did not seem to inhibit them
much.
TerryJ

Sirius631 wrote:
> Ken can propose any silly scheme, he won't have to
> implement it

Indeed. When I queried TFL they said

"Given that such a scheme would have to be at least partly
self-financing the cost of registering cycles would also have to be
passed onto cyclists, again discouraging cycling. A registration scheme

could therefore only ever be seen as a difficult last resort.
Therefore, this will not be happening in the near future. "

POHB wrote on 20/09/2006 15:41 +0100:
> Sirius631 wrote:
>> Ken can propose any silly scheme, he won't have to
>> implement it

> Indeed. When I queried TFL they said
>
> "Given that such a scheme would have to be at least partly
> self-financing the cost of registering cycles would also have to be
> passed onto cyclists, again discouraging cycling. A registration scheme
>
> could therefore only ever be seen as a difficult last resort.
> Therefore, this will not be happening in the near future. "

I thought Ladyman was doing it to knobble Dave the Chameleon but its
just dawned on me it could be to embarrass their bete noir, Ken the
Newt, by making it a law and then blaming it as his idea. Perhaps two
animals with one stone.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci