Number Plates?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by permajeo, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. permajeo

    permajeo New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2004

  2. maf

    maf Guest

    When I grew up in Belgium, 35 years ago or so, my bike had to have a
    small metal plate with an embossed number attached to the front axle.
    It's colour and shape changed every year. It was not expensive, but was
    a hassle. It had to be obtained from the local council offices. I don't
    know how it would fit over QR. I presume there would need to be a
    separate bolt on the fork for the plate. I don't know if these number
    plates still exist.

    Mike

    permajeo wrote:
    > It's been done before. 1940's France I think.
    >
    > 'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

  3. Sirius631

    Sirius631 Guest

    permajeo wrote:
    > It's been done before. 1940's France I think.
    >
    > 'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

    Still doesn't make it a good idea. What benefit does anyone think they
    will get out of it? Ken can propose any silly scheme, he won't have to
    implement it as it will need to be implemented nationally. If it is
    just intended as a revenue raiser, any fee that is not excessive to
    cyclists (which would be a miniscule amount) will be taken up by
    running the system.

    David Lloyd

  4. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

  5. Matt B

    Matt B Guest

    permajeo wrote:
    > It's been done before. 1940's France I think.
    >
    > 'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

    Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
    elsewhere in the world?

    --
    Matt B

  6. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:26:41 +1000 someone who may be permajeo
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >It's been done before. 1940's France I think.

    So what? Would bikes have to be fitted with lights to illuminate the
    number plate after dark?

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh

  7. permajeo

    permajeo New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2004
  8. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    Matt B wrote:
    > permajeo wrote:
    >> It's been done before. 1940's France I think.
    >>
    >> 'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

    > Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
    > elsewhere in the world?

    I seem to remember it was tried in New York, but wouldn't work because
    of riders coming over from Jersey...
    All the best
    Dan Gregory

  9. Matt B

    Matt B Guest

    Dan Gregory wrote:
    > Matt B wrote:
    >> permajeo wrote:
    >>> It's been done before. 1940's France I think.
    >>>
    >>> 'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

    >> Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
    >> elsewhere in the world?
    >>

    > I seem to remember it was tried in New York, but wouldn't work because
    > of riders coming over from Jersey...

    Apparently the District of Columbia requires it[1], and insist on a
    metal registration plate.

    "1202.6 It shall be a violation of this chapter for any person to
    operate a bicycle registered under the provisions of this chapter
    without both a registration tag and a metal registration plate."

    [1]
    http://www.ddot.dc.gov/ddot/frames.asp?doc=/ddot/lib/ddot/information/bicycle/pdf/18_DCMR_12.pdf

    --
    Matt B

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, permajeo
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke Wrote:
    >> in message <[email protected]>, permajeo
    >> ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >>
    >> > It's been done before. 1940's France I think.
    >> >
    >> > 'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

    >> And the benefit would be?
    >>

    > Didn't say there would be any benefit just thought the picture was
    > amusing. I did wonder about the musos looking behind them though.

    Sorry, didn't look at the picture.

    ;; An enamorata is for life, not just for weekends.

  11. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:09:41 +0100, Matt B
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
    >elsewhere in the world?

    It certainly used to be in Switzerland.

  12. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:09:41 +0100, Matt B
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
    > >elsewhere in the world?

    > It certainly used to be in Switzerland.

    Was in Switzerland last year and hired bikes - they didn't have them and
    neither did any of the others that we saw.

    DaveB

  13. Dave wrote:
    > "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:09:41 +0100, Matt B
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
    >>> elsewhere in the world?

    >> It certainly used to be in Switzerland.

    > Was in Switzerland last year and hired bikes - they didn't have them
    > and neither did any of the others that we saw.

    IIRC the Schnibble's "number plates" were part of an insurance scheme rather
    than any kind of registration. When I was last there - 1994 - some bikes
    had them, some didn't.

    --
    Dave Larrington
    Kinder surprise! What's the surprise? Your children are now dead.

  14. > >It's been done before. 1940's France I think.

    A friend of ours and his dad used their bikes for resistance work, and
    on one occasion had a chat with a german soldier while the american
    airman on his bike kept shtum.Registration did not seem to inhibit them
    much.
    TerryJ

  15. POHB

    POHB Guest

    Sirius631 wrote:
    > Ken can propose any silly scheme, he won't have to
    > implement it

    Indeed. When I queried TFL they said

    "Given that such a scheme would have to be at least partly
    self-financing the cost of registering cycles would also have to be
    passed onto cyclists, again discouraging cycling. A registration scheme

    could therefore only ever be seen as a difficult last resort.
    Therefore, this will not be happening in the near future. "

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    POHB wrote on 20/09/2006 15:41 +0100:
    > Sirius631 wrote:
    >> Ken can propose any silly scheme, he won't have to
    >> implement it

    > Indeed. When I queried TFL they said
    >
    > "Given that such a scheme would have to be at least partly
    > self-financing the cost of registering cycles would also have to be
    > passed onto cyclists, again discouraging cycling. A registration scheme
    >
    > could therefore only ever be seen as a difficult last resort.
    > Therefore, this will not be happening in the near future. "

    I thought Ladyman was doing it to knobble Dave the Chameleon but its
    just dawned on me it could be to embarrass their bete noir, Ken the
    Newt, by making it a law and then blaming it as his idea. Perhaps two
    animals with one stone.

    --
    Tony

    - Leonardo da Vinci