Number TWO's

Harrow

New Member
Jun 17, 2003
Sorry to bring this topic up, but what do people do about number two's in long distance triathlons?

This is a concern for me because I am doing the Forster and Canberra Half Ironman races this year, and estimate I am going to be borderline for qualifying for the Australian Ironman race.

Having to stop to do a number two could very likely make the difference between qualifying or not, so I would be interested in people's tactics so far as this is concerned. :(

Thanks,
Harrow.

P.S. I'd also be interested in number one hints as well. Do people bother to stop in the bike and run legs, or just let it flow ???

"Harrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sorry to bring this topic up, but what do people do about number two's in long distance
> triathlons?

I'm going to assume this is not a troll. Take a an antidiahereal (sp?) such as Kayopectate or
Immodium AD. I'd start the night before. Also watch what you eat the night before and the morning
of. Make sure not to do anything "different" for these meals. Another good suggestion is to avoid
milk products as lactose can tend to exacerbate the problem.

James

They usually use the toilets provided along the way. If there aren't going to be any, then bring
along some toilet paper which is a trick marathoners or trail marathoners use.

Avoid too many solids or too much fiber the day before the race. Really, it's better to eat big TWO
days before the race, then stick with easily digetible calories the day before: clif bars, protein
shakes, fruit (but not apples or prunes)--maybe only a salad as a real solid meal, eating late
afternoon or early evening. If you do this and have good movement in the morning, you probably won't
be bothered.

People that go to a carbo-loading dinner the night before a long race are just asking for trouble.
Usually, the urge hits after the swim (all the twisting in the water), but there are toilets in the
transition area. That can cost you 10 minutes instead of just 1 or 2, but at least it's over.
Happened to me in my first Ironman, and I vowed never to have it happen again.

Urination is easy int he water or even in a wetsuit. You just don't notice with all the
sweat anyway.

In a hot half-Ironman in summer, I can usually make it now without stopping for either one. "Harrow"
> Sorry to bring this topic up, but what do people do about number two's in long distance
> triathlons?
>
> This is a concern for me because I am doing the Forster and Canberra Half Ironman races this year,
> and estimate I am going to be borderline for qualifying for the Australian Ironman race.
>
> Having to stop to do a number two could very likely make the difference between qualifying or not,
> so I would be interested in people's tactics so far as this is concerned. :(
>
> Thanks, Harrow.
>
> P.S. I'd also be interested in number one hints as well. Do people bother to stop in the bike and
> run legs, or just let it flow ???
>

> --
> This forum is a gateway to the rec.sport.triathlon usenet newsgroup. Any
posts you make in this forum will be propogated to usenet.