Numbers of ball bearings for English 3-speed hub

Mike

Guest
I'm trying to get another Hercules 3-speed going. This one has an AW
rear hub from 1960, but appears to be a pre-Raleigh Hercules
(non-Raleigh fender braze-ons and brake cables).

The front hub uses loose bearings. Can anyone tell me how many there
should be?

Thanks,
Mike

{Yells across newsgroup......S H E L D O N!}

news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:11:10 -0400, Mike <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm trying to get another Hercules 3-speed going. This one has an AW
>rear hub from 1960, but appears to be a pre-Raleigh Hercules
>(non-Raleigh fender braze-ons and brake cables).
>
>The front hub uses loose bearings. Can anyone tell me how many there
>should be?
>
>Thanks,
>Mike

1 less per race than is necessary to jam it full. Sorry, I don't know
the actual number, but if you keep adding until you have a full race,
take one out. If it looks like you should be able to put in 1 more,
but it's a snug fit and you can't quite do it, leave that one out. Buy
a bunch of new ones (I assume you have at least 1 old one for sizing)
and make sure the races aren't pitted. You should be good to go.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:11:10 -0400, Mike wrote:

> I'm trying to get another Hercules 3-speed going. This one has an AW
> rear hub from 1960, but appears to be a pre-Raleigh Hercules
> (non-Raleigh fender braze-ons and brake cables).
>
> The front hub uses loose bearings. Can anyone tell me how many there
> should be?

Typically 9. I'd imagine they would be 3/16".

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The
_`\(,_ | common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance,
(_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my
trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my
business!" --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

Mike wrote:

> I'm trying to get another Hercules 3-speed going. This one has an AW
> rear hub from 1960, but appears to be a pre-Raleigh Hercules
> (non-Raleigh fender braze-ons and brake cables).
>
> The front hub uses loose bearings. Can anyone tell me how many there
> should be?

Like almost all front hubs, it takes 10 3/16" balls on each side.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hub-parts.html#bearings

Sheldon "Numbers" Brown
| Once more upon the waters! yet once more! |
| And the waves bound beneath me as a steed |
| That knows his rider. Welcome to their roar! |
| Swift be their guidance, wheresoe'er it lead! |
| Though the strain'd mast should quiver as a reed, |
| And the rent canvas fluttering strew the gale, |
| Still must I on; for I am as a weed, |
| Flung from the rock, on Ocean's foam to sail |
| Where'er the surge may sweep, |
| the tempest's breath prevail. |
| --Lord Byron Child Harold's Pilgrimage |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide