numbing parts, and I do not mean my mind!!

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Questmaster, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Questmaster

Questmaster New Member

I have recently begun biking again. I have not been on a bike for any lenght of time in a good many years. It seems that every time I get on a bike now my "Parts go Numb". Is this what I should expect from here on out or is there something I should be doing differently. I am trying to lose some weight but I may only be about 10 or 15 lbs over weight, that should not be that bi a factor, or should it. And what damage is being doing when this happens? Thank you for your help.
    :confused:

Tags:

2. GuyStevens

GuyStevens New Member

Most cyclists experience this numbness. All you can do is shift your weight around and get out of the saddle every now and again to relieve the pressure. Others may correct me but I understand there is no evidence that this has any long term detrimental effects.

3. dhk

dhk New Member

I had this problem when riding on a older Turbomatic saddle. Finally replaced it a couple of years ago with an SSM ERA, and no numbness. I've got an SSM Aspide on the new bike also which works great. Believe broken down, weak saddles or overly padded saddles will allow you to sink in, putting pressure on the soft parts. If you're on a saddle more than a few years old, a new one is probably in order.

4. Questmaster

Questmaster New Member

Thank you very much for your response. The bike I just bought I have not riden yet as it is still winter here and I have been riding a new spinner at the Gym. I have riding shorts that have padding, do you think that could be a factor as well. I understand that getting off everyonce in a while could help but I am trying to get in shape for the 24hrs of Adrenaline race and the laps are alot longer then the 1/2 hr I have been riding which causes the numbness. I guess I should just raise up in the saddle from time to time for relief? Thank again, Happy riding.

5. aussie71

aussie71 New Member

Hi
    I had this exact problem when i jumped back on the bike. I thought that this was it as i couldnt stand the numbing sensation for too long.
    But then i found the perfect saddle by bringing this to the attention of my local bicycle expert. The prob lies in the compression of small blood vessels in the lower pelvic area where we have contact with the seat. Padding on our shorts doesnot solve the problem but a designer seat will. This problem is all too common...thank god... and someone did something about it.
    I have never had a problem since.
    Go and spend$80AUS on a new seat...its worth it.

check out

http://www.terrybicycles.com/Saddles/saddles.lasso

6. GuyStevens

GuyStevens New Member

Don't pay too much attention to saddle recommendations - this is a very personal choice and could be expensive (unless your bike shop will let you try-before-you-buy). My own experinece has been to go through nearly every Selle Italia model before settling on the Fizik Arione.

7. gemarc

gemarc New Member

My personal view is that traditional cycle saddle design is not good because it puts weight in an area that is not best equiped to cope with it.
    I have suffered various problems over the years which I suspect are down to this.
    I know have one of the new "noseless" saddles (the Hobson one) which for me is much more comfortable as it puts the weight on your sit bones.
    Not everyone likes these saddles though and they do take some getting used to.

8. dhk

dhk New Member

A lot of the gym trainers I've used have big, squishy saddles which could certainly cause the problem. Also, the tilt may be wrong. For short-term relief, standing out of the saddle will help as you said. Just a minute every 15 minutes or so ought to help a lot. I used to do this on the road to relieve the numbness....shift up a couple of gears, stand and pedal/coast.

If you've got a good saddle on your new bike, believe it should feel firm under the sitz bones. You may have some pain there for the first rides in the spring. If you get numbness, I'd say make adjustments or look for a different saddle....no point riding with a major discomfort like this.

9. otherworld

otherworld New Member

Having numb genitals is a lot worse than uncomfortable, it can cause permanent damage to your bits… how does erectile dysfunction sound?

I believe a firm saddle is better, however what is more important is your position. Your saddle may be too far back causing you to lean forward on your perineum rather than your sit-bones. Your back should be arched upwards a bit rather than flat or swayed. Being overweight tends to give you a swayed back and so makes your hips rotate backwards, again putting more weight on the soft tissue area. Work on rotating your hips forward and so getting a curve in your back and sitting on your bum rather than your perineum. This will probably show you how extra weigh around the mid-section gets in the way of correct position. Move around whenever you can. Don’t put up with being numb! Good Luck

10. Klare

Klare New Member

Hi,
    I spent most of the winter training on my roadbike, clipped onto a bike trainer, n I had loads of problems with 'tender bits', even though i had a new saddle, i found the answer was to change my shorts, n I've finally found a make that suits me, so maybe this may be your answer..................its worth finding a pair of shorts with a really good chamois, mine were briko.
    I think also that being on a bike trainer of whatever type doesnt help, since now I'm back training on the roads I have no problems.
    Good luck...................