Numbness from overhead squats? Also, Seattle doctors

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Brandon Berg, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. Brandon Berg

    Brandon Berg Guest

    I've been trying out overhead squats for about a week now, and I tweaked my
    shoulders a bit yesterday morning. The pain's pretty mild now, but my right
    thumb and index finger have been tingling ever since, and while my pressing
    ability seems to be unaffected, I can't curl as much with my right arm as
    with my left (I'm right-handed). My assumption is that this is something for
    which I should seek professional medical advice if it's not any better by
    tomorrow, but...does anyone recognize these symptoms and have any better
    ideas?

    Also, can anyone recommend a doctor in or around Seattle whose solution for
    this won't be to keep my arms below my head for the rest of my life?

    Thanks.
    Brandon

    Tags:

  2. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Brandon Berg" <[email protected]> wrote
    > I've been trying out overhead squats for about a week now, and I tweaked
    > my shoulders a bit yesterday morning. The pain's pretty mild now, but my
    > right thumb and index finger have been tingling ever since, and while my
    > pressing ability seems to be unaffected, I can't curl as much with my
    > right arm as with my left (I'm right-handed). My assumption is that this
    > is something for which I should seek professional medical advice if it's
    > not any better by tomorrow, but...does anyone recognize these symptoms and
    > have any better ideas?

    Pinched radial nerve.

    Should resolve itself. Wait a week or so. If not better, see an orthopedic
    doctor.

    > Also, can anyone recommend a doctor in or around Seattle whose solution
    > for this won't be to keep my arms below my head for the rest of my life?

    Doctor Dover. Ben Dover. Can do a digital rectal exam with both hands tied
    behind his back.

    David

  3. Selene

    Selene Guest

    "Brandon Berg" <[email protected]> wrote
    > I've been trying out overhead squats for about a week now, and I tweaked

    my
    > shoulders a bit yesterday morning. The pain's pretty mild now, but my

    right
    > thumb and index finger have been tingling ever since, and while my

    pressing
    > ability seems to be unaffected, I can't curl as much with my right arm as
    > with my left (I'm right-handed). My assumption is that this is something

    for
    > which I should seek professional medical advice if it's not any better by
    > tomorrow, but...does anyone recognize these symptoms and have any better
    > ideas?

    I agree with David - sounds like a pinched nerve.

    > Also, can anyone recommend a doctor in or around Seattle whose solution

    for
    > this won't be to keep my arms below my head for the rest of my life?

    I might be able to give you some recommendations. I'd recommend ART or
    similar first, but you might have to see a doc to get a referral (depends on
    your insurance). If interested, write me off line. (remove the obvious
    from my email addy)

    Selene

    --
    hopefully this reply is all you'll need to satisfy whatever pointless
    urge that caused you to write the above disastrously unamusing shite.

  4. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Selene" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Brandon Berg" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > I've been trying out overhead squats for about a week now, and I tweaked

    > my
    > > shoulders a bit yesterday morning. The pain's pretty mild now, but my

    > right
    > > thumb and index finger have been tingling ever since, and while my

    > pressing
    > > ability seems to be unaffected, I can't curl as much with my right arm as
    > > with my left (I'm right-handed). My assumption is that this is something

    > for
    > > which I should seek professional medical advice if it's not any better by
    > > tomorrow, but...does anyone recognize these symptoms and have any better
    > > ideas?

    > I agree with David - sounds like a pinched nerve.
    >

    > > Also, can anyone recommend a doctor in or around Seattle whose solution

    > for
    > > this won't be to keep my arms below my head for the rest of my life?
    > >

    > I might be able to give you some recommendations. I'd recommend ART or
    > similar first, but you might have to see a doc to get a referral (depends on
    > your insurance). If interested, write me off line. (remove the obvious
    > from my email addy)

    Why do you recommend ART for a pinched nerve?

    --
    Keith

  5. Brandon Berg

    Brandon Berg Guest

    "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Brandon Berg" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> I've been trying out overhead squats for about a week now, and I tweaked
    >> my shoulders a bit yesterday morning. The pain's pretty mild now, but my
    >> right thumb and index finger have been tingling ever since, and while my
    >> pressing ability seems to be unaffected, I can't curl as much with my
    >> right arm as with my left (I'm right-handed). My assumption is that this
    >> is something for which I should seek professional medical advice if it's
    >> not any better by tomorrow, but...does anyone recognize these symptoms
    >> and have any better ideas?

    > Pinched radial nerve.
    >
    > Should resolve itself. Wait a week or so. If not better, see an orthopedic
    > doctor.

    Thanks. Is there anything I can do to allow me to continue doing overhead
    squats (after recovering) without this happening again? Aside from my desire
    to avoid contact with orthopedic surgeons in their professional capacities,
    the tingling is annoying.

    --
    Brandon Berg
    Fix the obvious homonym substitution to reply.

  6. Selene

    Selene Guest

    "Hobbes" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "Selene" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > "Brandon Berg" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > > I've been trying out overhead squats for about a week now, and I

    tweaked
    > > > my shoulders a bit yesterday morning.

    > > ... I'd recommend ART or
    > > similar first, but you might have to see a doc to get a referral

    (depends on
    > > your insurance).

    > Why do you recommend ART for a pinched nerve?

    Not for the nerve. For whatever was causing the nerve to get pinched, or
    whatever is doing the pinching. (? Does that make sense?)

    S.

  7. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Brandon Berg" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote >>
    >> "Brandon Berg" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>> I've been trying out overhead squats for about a week now, and I tweaked
    >>> my shoulders a bit yesterday morning. The pain's pretty mild now, but my
    >>> right thumb and index finger have been tingling ever since, and while my
    >>> pressing ability seems to be unaffected, I can't curl as much with my
    >>> right arm as with my left (I'm right-handed). My assumption is that this
    >>> is something for which I should seek professional medical advice if it's
    >>> not any better by tomorrow, but...does anyone recognize these symptoms
    >>> and have any better ideas?

    >> Pinched radial nerve.
    >>
    >> Should resolve itself. Wait a week or so. If not better, see an
    >> orthopedic doctor.

    > Thanks. Is there anything I can do to allow me to continue doing overhead
    > squats (after recovering) without this happening again? Aside from my
    > desire to avoid contact with orthopedic surgeons in their professional
    > capacities, the tingling is annoying.

    Good question.

    I don't know.

    I am not recommending this, but, if it were me, I would try various shoulder
    joint stretching routines to try to release the pressure on the nerve. But
    nurses often play doctor, so I don't recommend it for anyone else.

    David

  8. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Selene" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Hobbes" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > "Selene" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > "Brandon Berg" <[email protected]> wrote

    > tweaked
    > > >
    > > > ... I'd recommend ART or
    > > > similar first, but you might have to see a doc to get a referral

    > (depends on
    > > > your insurance).

    > > Why do you recommend ART for a pinched nerve?
    > >

    > Not for the nerve. For whatever was causing the nerve to get pinched, or
    > whatever is doing the pinching. (? Does that make sense?)
    >
    > S.

    Only if it is being pinched due to muscle adhesions. Which I don't think
    is likely - I think he just has to work in more slowly and work on
    overall shoulder ROM.

    --
    Keith

  9. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article <AU%[email protected]>,
    "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Brandon Berg" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote >>
    > >> "Brandon Berg" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >>
    > >> Pinched radial nerve.
    > >>
    > >> Should resolve itself. Wait a week or so. If not better, see an
    > >> orthopedic doctor.

    > > Thanks. Is there anything I can do to allow me to continue doing overhead
    > > squats (after recovering) without this happening again? Aside from my
    > > desire to avoid contact with orthopedic surgeons in their professional
    > > capacities, the tingling is annoying.

    > Good question.
    >
    > I don't know.
    >
    > I am not recommending this, but, if it were me, I would try various shoulder
    > joint stretching routines to try to release the pressure on the nerve. But
    > nurses often play doctor, so I don't recommend it for anyone else.

    I'd do the same.

    Kono has a progression in his book. You start with a dowel and flex the
    shoulders as far back as they go with the hands comfortably wide. You
    move the hands in over time until you can go from the front of your
    torso to the back with a snatch grip.

    For OH squats you start doing a partial and then work your way down.

    --
    Keith

  10. Selene

    Selene Guest

    "Hobbes" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > "Selene" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > "Hobbes" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > >
    > > > Why do you recommend ART for a pinched nerve?
    > > >

    > > Not for the nerve. For whatever was causing the nerve to get pinched,

    or
    > > whatever is doing the pinching. (? Does that make sense?)

    > Only if it is being pinched due to muscle adhesions. Which I don't think
    > is likely - I think he just has to work in more slowly and work on
    > overall shoulder ROM.

    What would pinch a nerve except muscles? And aren't progressive stretches
    much like tissue work? When I had my shoulder worked on, he stretched as he
    manipulated, and voy-lah, my shoulder started improving. My injury was not
    lifting related, though.

    Not that I'm disagreeing with working on shoulder ROM and building up
    slowly.

    S.

  11. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Selene" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Hobbes" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > "Selene" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > "Hobbes" <[email protected]> wrote

    > > > Not for the nerve. For whatever was causing the nerve to get pinched,

    > or
    > > > whatever is doing the pinching. (? Does that make sense?)

    > > Only if it is being pinched due to muscle adhesions. Which I don't think
    > > is likely - I think he just has to work in more slowly and work on
    > > overall shoulder ROM.
    > >

    > What would pinch a nerve except muscles? And aren't progressive stretches
    > much like tissue work? When I had my shoulder worked on, he stretched as he
    > manipulated, and voy-lah, my shoulder started improving. My injury was not
    > lifting related, though.
    >
    > Not that I'm disagreeing with working on shoulder ROM and building up
    > slowly.

    Selenne - add 'adhesions'.

    --
    Keith