Numbness from the saddle

simond

Jul 30, 2012
Sussex England
OK,

I used to ride regularly every evening a few years back but I've had issues with my shoulder (dislocating all the time) and had to stop riding. then when it became to much i eventually had an operation to repair the damage in the shoulder. now 2 months down the line I'm back on the bike but seem to be suffering from numbness in the erm groin area from he saddle. I've tried to adjust the saddle several times but still cant get it. after about half an hour in the saddle it starts. If I stop and give it a few minutes rest the numbness will go and be OK for a good 10 mins more riding.

I have two questions firstly should i be worried by this I'm guessing it cant be doing me any good and second any tips that I can do try with the saddle to minimise the issues/stop it entirely.

thanks

Si

I feel your lack of feeling. Playing with saddle tilt sometimes helps resolve. Or not, the last time I fiddled with my tilt it was in an effort to mitigate the same numbness. The result was a saddle sore which needed prefessional help to excise. Needless to say went back to the way things were. Another saddle may remedy. I tried the SMP Forma and the numbness went away but I couldn't deal with the big cradle. the beak, and the minimal padding. I've given up on saddle experiments for awhile. I just tried one of the new Selle Italia Concors and lasted about 8 minutes. The bike didn't even hit the road - I was just leaning against the wall getting ballpark tilt before my crushed perenium screamed no good can come of this, get this saddle off our bike now! My current Romin is 98% the way to perfect. As far as long term effects, I've been experiencing that same numbness to some degree since the 80's. The junk still works great. Doesn't neccessarily mean nothing bad is happening, I might just have been a superstar to begin with.

Reactions: simond
Thanks for the reply has put my mind at rest a bit. I guess I shall fiddle with the saddle a little more and if no joy try a different one

Overall bike fit can also casue you to shift too much weight onto the saddle. If the saddle is not adjusted to alllow some weight on your arms. It is an adventure sometimes getting the correct combination . I have even seen people grow out of their saddle , more or less, from weight loss. The saddle no longer fit.

I tried several saddles to get rid of the same issue. I met Dave with ISM saddles and once i started riding on their saddle the problem was gone. Not sure it will fix everyones problem with this but it works for me. I have tried to go back to a traditional saddle and no way! I cant even ride a buddys bike without my Saddle. Sold for Life.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Overall bike fit can also casue you to shift too much weight onto the saddle. If the saddle is not adjusted to alllow some weight on your arms. It is an adventure sometimes getting the correct combination . I have even seen people grow out of their saddle , more or less, from weight loss. The saddle no longer fit.
That sure sounds like maybe you've hit the nail on the head. I wonder if the OP maybe gained a bit of weight while nursing the shoulder.

I've lost some weight myself... and have had to make some saddle height adjustments to compensate. I had selected a cut-out saddle when I weighted 257 pounds... but now being much lighter/smaller I am wondering if a cut-out is needed. although my saddle remains very comfortable.

I have also noticed that the stress on my shoulders/arms/HANDS is greatly reduced now. One of my gel-padded cycling gloves got misplaced and I been using an old poorly padded pair of gloves... with no hand discomfort. It would appear... not surprisingly... that contact points can be an issue with additional weight.

Terry saddles have always worked for me. They make a few different blueprints and widths, as with many manufacturers. Keep in mind that even a couple months off the saddle can get your contact area's muscles out of condition. Sometimes even a matter of weeks depending on how much soft you have to work with. Softer seat is not always the answer but getting the proper hip width is. Don't be afraid to cross the "gender" line. Some men have wider hips and some women are narrower. Ultimately it is covered by your butt so who cares what it's called ;)

Originally Posted by Conniebiker .

..... Don't be afraid to cross the "gender" line......... Ultimately it is covered by your butt so who cares what it's called ;)
What? You mean I should consider using a girls saddle? I'd just as rather paint my bicycle pink. It ain't gone'a happen.

Lol. Not all have butterflies and flowers on them ;) Most are just black and no hint either way, which is how it should be. Marketing is marketing.

Originally Posted by Conniebiker .

Lol. Not all have butterflies and flowers on them ;) Most are just black and no hint either way, which is how it should be. Marketing is marketing.
Well.... I guess as long as there isn't any hearts, or pink unicorns on the saddle.

I went to a LBS that had a sit bones measuring device. It was sorta like a large flat square plastic plate that was temperature sensitive [like a mood ring] and turns colors to show the actual bone locations. I was a bit surprised to see just how narrow my... space between my sit bones.... is. I am a large guy... but a narrow saddle was what fit best. I purchased three different saddles before finding one that really felt right. And... that was after allowing time for my rear end to toughen up.

Now... that I am at a better weight... I wonder if I really need the cut-out saddle I selected. But... I don't see myself trying out other saddles until mine wears out. And then... only if I can't replace it with an exact match. I think a lot of us... once we find a saddle that works for us... we stick with it.

Conniebiker said:
Don't be afraid to cross the "gender" line. Some men have wider hips and some women are narrower. Ultimately it is covered by your butt so who cares what it's called ;)
+1. The only that matters is the function of the piece in question, no matter if it's a saddle, frame, handlebars, or even shorts.

OK,

I used to ride regularly every evening a few years back but I've had issues with my shoulder (dislocating all the time) and had to stop riding. then when it became to much i eventually had an operation to repair the damage in the shoulder. now 2 months down the line I'm back on the bike but seem to be suffering from numbness in the erm groin area from he saddle. I've tried to adjust the saddle several times but still cant get it. after about half an hour in the saddle it starts. If I stop and give it a few minutes rest the numbness will go and be OK for a good 10 mins more riding.

I have two questions firstly should i be worried by this I'm guessing it cant be doing me any good and second any tips that I can do try with the saddle to minimise the issues/stop it entirely.

thanks

Si
Get off the upright bike and get a recumbent... infinitely more comfy with none of the saddle and neck issues

OK,

thanks

Si
In general it is the length of time in the saddle that gives you pain. I would think that before you rode rather shorter distances and hence less time in the saddle. Going back perhaps you are trying to ride more and since you are returning the fact that you have a misfit with the saddle is more noticeable.

Until relatively recently ALL of the saddles were bad except for those horribly heavy and expensive leather saddles that required a year to break in. (Even by those people that say, "On mine was broken in when I bought it" - then you see them limping around.)

What you need is as follows: The nose of the saddle should not touch the sides of your thighs. This causes chafing. The shape and width of the back of the saddle is important. It has to be wide enough for your sit bones to be firmly supported and with the shape that doesn't apply pressure any other place than on the sit bones.

This requires experimentation. That you're getting numbness in general suggests that the sit bones are not properly supported or that the top of the saddle is too rounded and applies pressure to your crotch.

I have mostly converted to Prologo Scratch Pro saddles but there are different widths with which you can try. There is a woman's version that is something like a centimeter wider than the male version.

Often on Ebay you can find used Try and Buy Prologos for reasonable prices so that you can see if they fit properly. There are somewhat similar San Marco Ponza or the Selle Bassano Vuelta saddles as well but they most assuredly do NOT work for my build. But as I say - there are horses for courses and while I recommend your trying the Prologo, many people can use the San Marco which is a bit narrower in the sit bone region and it is a lighter saddle unless you pay a fortune for titanium rails and carbon fiber bases.

Be aware that you have the most common complaint of relatively new riders and simply putting on weight while you were off the bike could have changed everything.