Numbness in crotch

GPM

Aug 25, 2007
Hello, I just started cycling and sometimes i had numbness in my penis but this feeling went away after a few minutes when i got off the bike.

Just recently i had the numbness again but now it didnt go away after a few minutes, in fact the region is still a bit numb, it is less then before but its still there. It has been now 1day ago and its still there.

I cant get an erection either now, wich I didnt have any problems with before, and im in my early twenty's

So i wonder if any other people had this once? and how long did it take to go away.

Looking forward to your replies
Chris

For starters, check your saddle adjustment. If you're riding on the nose of the saddle then position it forward on the rails so that you're sitting more toward the rear of the saddle with your butt, not on the nose with your perenium. Check the saddle's angle too.

If you don't have an ergonomic saddle you should consider getting one. Those are the types of saddles that have a gap in the center which relieves pressure on your perenium. Beyond a saddle, you might also consider padded cycling shorts.

Your numbness is likely from compressing your soft tissue which is restricting blood flow to your genitals and probably pinching nerves. You don't want this to continue as it can lead to long term or permanent damage.

Based on my own similar experience, don't let this turn you off of cycling. The first time I ever started to feel numbness I immediately switched to an ergonomic saddle (Avocet O2 Air 40) and solved the problem. I can stay in the saddle all day now with no trouble at all.

Thnx for the reply, the numbness is getting less and seems like the bloodflow is getting better again, went on a bike tour yesterday again but after each 5mins sitting on the saddle i stood in the paddels for 5.

But ill try looking for a better saddle. I heard that adjusting the saddle like 3milimeters with the nose a bit down seems to work to but doesnt this just put more pressure on your arms (since you will be somewhat slipping of the saddle ) ?

Angling the nose down will get it more out of the way and make you want to sit more on the rear of the saddle, but if you keep the saddle level and position it correctly on the rails you should be able to achieve the same net result without angling the nose down.

I bought a new saddle to alleviate pressure on the perineal area. The saddle feels a bit strange in that is wider at the nose than I am accustomed and it is shorter overall but having completed several rides since making the change greater than 5 hours in duration, I can tell you that you will not experience crotch numbness with this saddle. Check out the Adamo ISM Racing saddle.
http://blackwellresearch.com/p_seats.htm

You can get it here: http://www.all3sports.com/product_info.php?pName=ism-adamo
Their service is great.

-fb

along with all the replies above...are you sitting on your sit bones? youll know if you are when you sit in the saddle and your saddle is level (no need to tilt it if your sitting proper) I have a an ergonomic saddle on my road bike (came with it) and its comfortable...as long as i wear shorts as well. My mountain bike i have a SDG Bel-Air saddle and can ride for quite a while on bike paths without too much pain, always seated. And if you ask my girlfriend...i dont have any problems with blood flow :)

also, there is a chance that maybe your bike doesnt fit you properly. seat height/saddle adjustment should help, but maybe your bike just isnt your size? take yourself and the bike to a reputable bike shop and have them fit you, or at least get close...Worth the time/effort/cost :)

First thing, this is a problem you should be VERY concerned about.

Secondly, given that you are new to cycling the problem could be as simple as your bike fit or your riding position. As mongooseboy has suggested you should get yourself to a good bike shop where they can do a proper bike fit and assess your position.

If your bike fit and position are good, then you need to look at other factors - are you riding on a saddle which is too soft? It is a popular misconception especially amongst novice riders that softer saddles are more comfortable, but what actually occurs is your body sinks into the gel padding and you put pressure on the wrong parts of your anatomy. It is also a fact that one person's ideal saddle is another person's torture rack. Saddles are a very individual preference and you may find you go through several different saddles before you find the one that works for you.

Finally, the simplest question - are you wearing properly fitted cycling shorts and are you wearing them without underwear? Wearing clothing which is too loose or wearing underwear under your shorts, can cause bunching and it may be putting pressure in just the right place to cause the numbness.

I was using a Fizik Pave and had the same problem. I'm using a San Marco Era off of an older bike now and it's way better. A little narrow but I don't the problem you're having now. Get an other seat. Borrow something, buy cheap on ebay until you find something that works, anything to do a comparison.