Numbness in my fingers

Imagine3

Oct 24, 2004
I have been cycling for a couple years. Last season, I didn't go on my bike at all because I was really sick with Colitis which meant I was in the bathroom about 15 times a day. Enough of the gross stuff that you don't really need to know. So anyways, I didn't ride at all last season. Now that I have my illness somewhat under control. I am starting to ride again. For now just on my trainer until it gets warmer. But anyways, I am noticing numbness in my fingers. Mostly my pinkies and ring fingers, sometimes in my middle fingers.

Anyone hear of this or have any idea as to why I would experience numbness in my fingers?

Thank you very much. I have been riding for a couple years but never experienced anything like thist. I was guessing it was something to do with my posture or something like that but didn't know. Just kind of worrying. lol

If you crush the nerve in the middle of your hand you will get numbness this happens to me on my MTB and I am seriously considering these grips.
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=22585&item=50-6618&slitrk=schamp&slisearch=true

Imagine3 said:
I have been cycling for a couple years. Last season, I didn't go on my bike at all because I was really sick with Colitis which meant I was in the bathroom about 15 times a day. Enough of the gross stuff that you don't really need to know. So anyways, I didn't ride at all last season. Now that I have my illness somewhat under control. I am starting to ride again. For now just on my trainer until it gets warmer. But anyways, I am noticing numbness in my fingers. Mostly my pinkies and ring fingers, sometimes in my middle fingers.

Anyone hear of this or have any idea as to why I would experience numbness in my fingers?

On the trainer, I find that I have to remember to do things like stand up and pedal to get relief or move my hands around to different positions.

These are things that I do naturally outside...

Jim

Imagine3 said:

I've had this problem too, but mainly on the road. That I attribute to vibrations. I installed a set of Trek's Buzkill bar ends and they did wonders. I thought they were a gimmick but they turned out to be a lifesaver.

I've also had a problem with gloves. I've found that if I have the wrist strap tightened down I get numb hands. If I open up that strap I rarely get the numbness.

Based on another thread on this issue I replaced my padded gloves with unpadded gloves. That was about 200 miles ago and I haven't had the numbness since. I only have about 1,000 miles this season (so far).

definately checkout that similar thread.
this numbness is a constant battle for me.
some of which stems from neck and shoulders being in their position for so long - this was the first place the doc at SportsMed went when i mentioned it to him. so flexing the shoulders and neck periodically has definately helped.
the tightness of your gloves is also a factor - loosening the velcro also helped. as does varying the padding as well as it's position on the gloves.
lastly, constant movement around your bars will also help - on the hoods, back from the hoods, on the flats, on the drops, as well as varying where the main contact of where my hands are on the bars too. ie; hanging your hands off the side of the hoods with the main contact being via the thumb, as opposed to taking most of the pressure on the large pad on the inside of your palm. alternatively when on the flats, whether you rest on the base of your palms or the tops of your palms (under your knuckles).

all of the above has helped me do several hours of riding with only nomial numbness, compared to having it start within 10mins and losing the ability to use my hands properly after an hour...

one last point - make sure your fit is right too. mine was wrong and had too much weight forward on my hands. i've now got both a new headstem and narrower bars, which have made quite a difference too.

good luck!!

Imagine3 said:
I am noticing numbness in my fingers. Mostly my pinkies and ring fingers, sometimes in my middle fingers.

I suffer from this sometimes. The first time I got it was shortly after I got my first proper road bike in many years. I also had pain in my elbows. So I was pretty sure that it was ulnar tunnel syndrome and that it had to do with my elbows and not my hands. I have very broad shoulders for my height so the bar that I got with the bike was much to narrow for me. Switching to a broader bar helped (but it looks awful).

I still get problems about a couple of times a year. Usually when riding on rough surfaces for a long time (like on packed snow with the cross). Also I have learnt to never rest my elbows on hard surfaces.

I.B.S. not a funny thing at all, I feal for ya. and numbness. as I grow older and tend to be in a different stance i believe my bike will be an antique soon. rather purchasing a shorter bike to change the position, possably a few cm in the handel would correct your Media syndrom. if it is carpal or other.
as for colitis a ton of fiber is best and bran they say. but I have cut all meat intake out and feel so much better, some may find other fixs and spruce is one culprate