Numbness on hands & Presta vs Schrader

Originally Posted by alfeng .

I presume that by the "aerodynamic position" you are referring to riding with your hands on the handlebar's DROPS ...

If THAT is the case, then while comfort is certainly subjective ...

Presuming you have not suffered an injury (e.g., whiplash/etc.) and/or you do not have a back problem then riding with your hands on the handlebar's DROPS should NOT be uncomfortable ...

IMO, if you are uncomfortable with your hands on the drops then you EITHER need to get MORE flexible ...

• of course, SRAM shifters will probably make riding on any bike less comfortable
  • only half-kidding, BTW!!.

OR, change to different handlebars which have may have a different width, reach, curvature, whatever ... and/or, a different stem length.
I think I should adjust the bike. Allthough I cant put the handlebar any higher (all the spacers are underneath the handlebar at the moment) I might be able to adjust the saddle and maybe tilt the handlebar a bit up.
I think I should go for one of these fitting sessions.
I didnt have an injury but I have a constant pain in the back that moves around (neck, waist, back) which goes away a bit when exercising. Nobody knows what it is. I am not that young either... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

Originally Posted by Volnix .

I think I should adjust the bike. Allthough I cant put the handlebar any higher (all the spacers are underneath the handlebar at the moment)...
You can raise the effective position of your drops a couple of ways without needing a longer steering tube and more spacers:

- Use a steeper rise stem angle

- Go to shallower 'compact' drop bars that place the drops position a bit higher and closer to the brake hoods position.

But I wouldn't jump to raising your stem. Get a good fit and figure out if that's really the issue. A seat too far forward or too far backwards or bad seat height or other things can lead to either poor weight distribution or an uncomfortable position. It probably involves changing the drops position as well but I wouldn't work that problem in isolation unless you're very certain the rest of your fit is very good.

-Dave

@alfeng: O M G!!..... Very detail explanation! Thanks for your explanation. I will certainly keep your post in mind. Bike mechanic is always fascinating to me, and I hope one day I will try it on my bike. Can't say enough and I know I may sound cliche, but then again: Thank you all for sharing the info!

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

You can raise the effective position of your drops a couple of ways without needing a longer steering tube and more spacers:

- Use a steeper rise stem angle

- Go to shallower 'compact' drop bars that place the drops position a bit higher and closer to the brake hoods position.

But I wouldn't jump to raising your stem. Get a good fit and figure out if that's really the issue. A seat too far forward or too far backwards or bad seat height or other things can lead to either poor weight distribution or an uncomfortable position. It probably involves changing the drops position as well but I wouldn't work that problem in isolation unless you're very certain the rest of your fit is very good.

-Dave
Hmmm I might try those... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif I will go to the shop and ask.

Quote:Originally Posted by Volnix .Hmmm I might try those... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif I will go to the shop and ask.

1. Post a picture of your bike from the side ...

2. How tall are you & what is your inseam?

3. How long is the (effective) top tube?

4. How long is the stem?

5. What is your bike's crank arm length?

6. What is the current top of the saddle to the center of the BB distance?

BTW. If you have a stationary trainer, then use it to better approximate OR to optimize your fit on your bike -- IMO, it's generally easier to realize the wrong position(s) when you aren't on the road..

It's a bit strange that you're more comfortable with the saddle moved forward - as that will usually put more pressure on your hands. The original fit must have been way off for your needs if that has been an improvement.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

1. Post a picture of your bike from the side ...

2. How tall are you & what is your inseam?

3. How long is the (effective) top tube?

4. How long is the stem?

5. What is your bike's crank arm length?

6. What is the current top of the saddle to the center of the BB distance?
Ok well, basically my bike is "Top Secret Classified", It was designed it in a hollow volcano using UFO technology and I am drop dead gorgeous... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

No, really I think, I need I have to go to the shop and ask them, I hope I wont need a new stem though... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif I might try to find a fitting instruction with the measurments you mention. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif