Numbness

J . Brian Chamb

Guest
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I still get a lot of numbness in my feet and hands when I ride. I
change positions often for my hands which seems to help but I don't know what's going on with me
feet, mainly the toes. I'm just wearing regular tennis shoes and I don't have clip pedals. They just
have straps that are fairly lose. They just stop my feet from sliding out.

--Brian

J. Brian Chamberlin wrote:

> I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I still get a lot of numbness in my feet and hands when I ride.
> I change positions often for my hands which seems to help but I don't know what's going on with me
> feet, mainly the toes. I'm just wearing regular tennis shoes and I don't have clip pedals. They
> just have straps that are fairly lose. They just stop my feet from sliding out.
>
> --Brian

Most likely, the rear bracket of the pedal is pressing through your soft-soled shoe into your arch.
This frequently causes numb toes. It is time to invest in a pair of cycling shoes.

Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "Let me tell you what else I'm worried about. I'm
worried about an opponent who uses nation building and the military in the same sentence. See, our
view of the military is for the military to be properly prepared to fight and win war and therefore,
prevent war from happening in the first place." George Bush, Nov. 6, 2000

J. Brian Chamberlin wrote:

> I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I still get a lot of numbness in my feet and hands when I ride.
> I change positions often for my hands which seems to help but I don't know what's going on with me
> feet, mainly the toes. I'm just wearing regular tennis shoes and I don't have clip pedals. They
> just have straps that are fairly lose. They just stop my feet from sliding out.
>
> --Brian

for your hands check the brake lever position. levers should be pointed down so thet fall under your
finger tips when standing. if they are higher than that the bend in your wrist will cause numness.
get a pair of hard sole shoes, whether you use clipless or not it'll help.

On Wed, 21 May 2003 03:08:41 GMT, J Brian Chamberlin wrote:

> I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I still get a lot of numbness in my feet and hands when I ride.

About the hands - you wear gloves? Gotta have 'em. About the feet - maybe your toes are getting
shoved into the toe clip? Some heftier shoes might be in order. Or try without the clips for a
ride or two.

"J. Brian Chamberlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I still get a lot of numbness in my feet and hands when I ride.
> I change positions often for my hands which seems to help but I don't know what's going on with me
> feet, mainly the toes. I'm just wearing regular tennis shoes and I don't have clip pedals. They
> just have straps that are fairly lose. They just stop my feet from sliding out.
>
> --Brian

Numbness in hands is really common. Wear gloves. Keep changing hand position, and watch what that
sleeves or straps on packs aren't cutting circulation. Feet? Not sure about that one. Might be
tensed muscles or pressure in the wrong places - proper shoes might not be a bad idea.
--
Westie

relax to tense