Numbness

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scotttri, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

Thisis kinda a personall subject but while rideing with my bike on a trainer I find I become numb in the ( never region ) so to speak but never experience this whilst rideing of the trainer....???? What should I do and what are the possible causes??

Tags:

2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

Your message was a bit difficult to decipher, but this is what I gather: Your manhood gets numb while riding on a trainer, but not so while riding off the trainer.

My guess is that while off the trainer, you tend to shift around on the saddle a bit, thus changing the pressure points; whereas on the trainer you're probably in one position the entire time. Try moving around on the saddle while on the trainer, get out of the saddle and hammer away for a little bit, this will restore bloodflow to the crotch and thus alleviate your numbness.

3. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

You deciphered correct, and i do get out of my saddle, whilst on the trainer but i find even after 5 minutes I become this way, i'm wondering if a different saddle, would prove different, and if so any thoughts, I presume it's all a personal preference

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

That's strange that you still get out of the saddle while on the trainer and yet you still get numbness. Yes, perhaps a different saddle would alleviate the issue. Because saddles are so personal, it's hard to recommend one to try.

5. cycleski

cycleski New Member

I found a saddle that suits me after a few strike outs and now have both my road bikes fitted with the same make and model saddle and all is well. Any chance of changing the trainer saddle to match the road? My trainer has a wide cushion type saddle, not like a road unit at all and not able to easily change without making a new fitting. Maybe a set of training rollers for the road bike needs to be considered.

6. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

If anything is going to cause numbness, then a trainer is it. Because you shift around a lot less than on the road, if there's something bugging your nether regions, you'll know about it pretty quickly.

The suggestion to try another saddle is a good one, but also try putting hours in with this saddle on the road. Then going back to the trainer may be more comfy.

Its probably worthwhile going to your LBS and having your bike position checked out too, as this could also be causing the problem.