nut broke off inside cable stop!

jeffreydse

Aug 27, 2004
Hi,

I think I may have a bit of a problem here... you ever break off a key inside a lock? That's kind of what happened to the cable stop attached to my headset on my k2 Mod 3.0. There is a little screw thingy that attaches the cable housing to the frame, which broke off INSIDE the cable stop. Since the cable stop is a part of the frame, and since I can't seem to get the bit of screw out of the threading, I do not know what to do at this point. Does anybody have any ideas? It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

jeffreydse said:
Hi,

I think I may have a bit of a problem here... you ever break off a key inside a lock? That's kind of what happened to the cable stop attached to my headset on my k2 Mod 3.0. There is a little screw thingy that attaches the cable housing to the frame, which broke off INSIDE the cable stop. Since the cable stop is a part of the frame, and since I can't seem to get the bit of screw out of the threading, I do not know what to do at this point. Does anybody have any ideas? It would be much appreciated. Thanks.
An 'easy-out' may be the tool you need. You drill a hole in the fastener that is broken and then use what looks like a drill bit or tap and die, except is is reverse-threaded. It goes into the broken fastener and locks into it and then removes it. Be careful to use the correct size and drill the correct size hole.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...tId=53065&cm_ven=TL&cm_pla=DF&cm_ite=handtool

Derek
Think

HNS said:
An 'easy-out' may be the tool you need. You drill a hole in the fastener that is broken and then use what looks like a drill bit or tap and die, except is is reverse-threaded. It goes into the broken fastener and locks into it and then removes it. Be careful to use the correct size and drill the correct size hole.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=4006970&storeId=6970&langId=-1&productId=53065&cm_ven=TL&cm_pla=DF&cm_ite=handtool

Derek
Think
Nice idea think about it

gulnaz said:
Nice idea think about it
But whatever you do, do NOT break off the easy-out inside the hole you drill. Easy-outs are made from very hard metal, and if you break it off, you are screwed big time because it's impossible to drill into an easy-out. My experience has been that if it doesn't come out easily, then it's not going to come out, so don't crank too hard. The harder you crank, the more it expands the broken bolt, jamming it in place. So, first try the easy-out - if it doesn't come out easily, then you should try to grind it out from the inside trying not to damage the threads more than necessary. At some point it will probably just start breaking apart - you will probably have to run a tap through it to clean up the threads.

If you have enough access to any part of it exposed....cut a slot in it with a dremel tool using the cutting wheel. Put a flat head screwdrive in the slot, and slowly back it out. You might try a shot of PB Blaster as well.....keep it away from your paint though. PB Blaster is a catalyst....it will loosen even the rustiest (is that a word?!) bolts.

My dremel has paid for itself numerous times doing that little trick.

Robbie