nut problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Benjamin Snyder, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    The bold and nut that hold my bike seat up are really old, and the nut has been worn down to the
    point that I'm having a very difficult time loosening it. (I have a new nut and bolt ready to
    replace it).

    Anyone encounter tricky nuts like this before? Any advice?

    thanks, Ben

    ps I know that this is a general hardware question, but the bolt/nut in question are on my bike so I
    thought it would be ok to ask it here.

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:13:53 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Benjamin Snyder) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >The bold and nut that hold my bike seat up are really old, and the nut has been worn down to the
    >point that I'm having a very difficult time loosening it. (I have a new nut and bolt ready to
    >replace it).
    >
    >Anyone encounter tricky nuts like this before? Any advice?
    >

    >thanks, Ben
    >

    >ps I know that this is a general hardware question, but the bolt/nut in question are on my bike so
    > I thought it would be ok to ask it here.

    Take a file or a grinding wheel on a Dremel or similar and file/grind two new flats on opposite
    sides. Use an open-ended or crescent wrench to get it off, then replace it right away.

  3. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:13:53 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Benjamin Snyder) wrote:

    Dear Benjamin,

    I resent the implication of your subject line, which--

    Oh--never mind . . .

    Dan gives sound advice about filing or grinding two flats on the nut that's giving you a problem.

    If the shaft of the bolt is exposed, you may be able to simply cut through it with a Dremel
    cutting wheel.

    If neither a file nor a Dremel tool strike your fancy (the nut may be holding your paint job
    hostage), you might try grabbing it between the curved and toothed jaws of a pair of small
    vise-grips, using a low-tension setting to avoid crushing the wretched thing more tightly
    onto the bolt.

    Good luck with your (metal) nut problem.

    Carl Fogel

  4. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Benjamin Snyder) writes:

    >The bold and nut that hold my bike seat up are really old, and the nut has been worn down to the
    >point that I'm having a very difficult time loosening it. (I have a new nut and bolt ready to
    >replace it).
    >
    >Anyone encounter tricky nuts like this before? Any advice?

    Make sure you are using the right sized wrench on it.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]