Nutella fans, have I got a dessert for you!

Nexis

Guest
Yesterday my sister in law was over and we were watching Everyday Italian
(at least I think that's the name) and she was talking about filling
gyoza/wonton skins with nutella as a quick and easy dessert. Sounded
interesting, and I had the skins in the fridge already so....
While she was preparing the oil I went into the fridge to get the skins and
noticed the strawberries, all red and luscious looking, and
thought..."yummmmm"

So, dessert last night was strawberry and nutella wontons. So easy and yet
soooooo delicious!

kimberly

Nexis wrote:
> Yesterday my sister in law was over and we were watching Everyday Italian
> (at least I think that's the name) and she was talking about filling
> gyoza/wonton skins with nutella as a quick and easy dessert. Sounded
> interesting, and I had the skins in the fridge already so....
> While she was preparing the oil I went into the fridge to get the skins and
> noticed the strawberries, all red and luscious looking, and
> thought..."yummmmm"
>
> So, dessert last night was strawberry and nutella wontons. So easy and yet
> soooooo delicious!
>
> kimberly

what exactly is a gyoza/wonton skin?

my boys live for nutella, so its worth a try!

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:25:47 -0800, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Yesterday my sister in law was over and we were watching Everyday Italian
>(at least I think that's the name) and she was talking about filling
>gyoza/wonton skins with nutella as a quick and easy dessert. Sounded
>interesting, and I had the skins in the fridge already so....
>While she was preparing the oil I went into the fridge to get the skins and
>noticed the strawberries, all red and luscious looking, and
>thought..."yummmmm"
>
>So, dessert last night was strawberry and nutella wontons. So easy and yet
>soooooo delicious!

I've thought about Nutella, but the strawberries are a stroke of pure evil
genius! Thanks!

Carol

In article <%hROd.43906$gA4.20674@edtnps89>, GS <whoknows@no_spam.com>
wrote:

> Nexis wrote:
> > Yesterday my sister in law was over and we were watching Everyday Italian
> > (at least I think that's the name) and she was talking about filling
> > gyoza/wonton skins with nutella as a quick and easy dessert. Sounded
> > interesting, and I had the skins in the fridge already so....
> > While she was preparing the oil I went into the fridge to get the skins and
> > noticed the strawberries, all red and luscious looking, and
> > thought..."yummmmm"
> >
> > So, dessert last night was strawberry and nutella wontons. So easy and yet
> > soooooo delicious!
> >
> > kimberly
> >

> what exactly is a gyoza/wonton skin?
>
> my boys live for nutella, so its worth a try!

To make gyoza skins:

Mix flour with a bit of water (just enough so that it forms a ball),
knead. Let rest in a covered bowl 30 min to 1 hour.
If you have a machine to make pasta, roll it thin and cut into 3-4 inch
circles. Otherwise, shape the dough into a cylinder of 1 inch diameter,
cut it in 1/4 inch slices, and roll into a thin skin.

See also my recipe for gyoza at
http://www.rufenacht.com/webapps/recipes/index.jsp?recId=30

Mite
http://www.shopncook.com

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:25:47 -0800, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Yesterday my sister in law was over and we were watching Everyday Italian
> >(at least I think that's the name) and she was talking about filling
> >gyoza/wonton skins with nutella as a quick and easy dessert. Sounded
> >interesting, and I had the skins in the fridge already so....
> >While she was preparing the oil I went into the fridge to get the skins

and
> >noticed the strawberries, all red and luscious looking, and
> >thought..."yummmmm"
> >
> >So, dessert last night was strawberry and nutella wontons. So easy and

yet
> >soooooo delicious!

> I've thought about Nutella, but the strawberries are a stroke of pure evil
> genius! Thanks!
>
> Carol
> --

And the beauty part was, when I tested later, my BG was only 108!
It's decadent, so you can eat just a couple and feel like you've been way
naughtier than you really were! lol

kimberly

"Nexis" <[email protected]> , if that's their real name, wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I've thought about Nutella, but the strawberries are a stroke of pure evil
>> genius! Thanks!

>And the beauty part was, when I tested later, my BG was only 108!
>It's decadent, so you can eat just a couple and feel like you've been way
>naughtier than you really were! lol

But ... is it possible to stop at just a couple? This is me you're talking
to. :)

Carol

Do you fry them after filling the wanton skin??

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Nexis" <[email protected]> , if that's their real name, wrote:
>

> >"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> I've thought about Nutella, but the strawberries are a stroke of pure

evil
> >> genius! Thanks!

> >And the beauty part was, when I tested later, my BG was only 108!
> >It's decadent, so you can eat just a couple and feel like you've been way
> >naughtier than you really were! lol

> But ... is it possible to stop at just a couple? This is me you're

talking
> to. :)
>
> Carol
> --
> "Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
> 'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
> Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."
>
> *James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Nexis" <[email protected]> , if that's their real name, wrote:
>

> >"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> I've thought about Nutella, but the strawberries are a stroke of pure

evil
> >> genius! Thanks!

> >And the beauty part was, when I tested later, my BG was only 108!
> >It's decadent, so you can eat just a couple and feel like you've been way
> >naughtier than you really were! lol

> But ... is it possible to stop at just a couple? This is me you're

talking
> to. :)
>
> Carol
> --

LOL, well, it's not as hard as you'd think. I think it would be difficult to
eat more than, say, 4 at any one time. Like I said, they're very decadent!
I have to say, it was a really fun dessert to make too. The kids had a blast
filling and folding the wontons, and they actually worked together for the
entire time without a single word of disagreement between them! (If you'd
ever spent time with my daughter and my niece in the same room, you'd know
what a miracle that really is!)

kimberly

"Nexis" <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "Nexis" <[email protected]> , if that's their real name, wrote:
>>
>> >And the beauty part was, when I tested later, my BG was only 108!
>> >It's decadent, so you can eat just a couple and feel like you've been way
>> >naughtier than you really were! lol

>> But ... is it possible to stop at just a couple? This is me you're
>> talking to. :)
>> --

>LOL, well, it's not as hard as you'd think. I think it would be difficult to
>eat more than, say, 4 at any one time. Like I said, they're very decadent!
>I have to say, it was a really fun dessert to make too.

Yeah, they do sound pretty rich. I'll have to give these a try. I'm not
sure if you mentioned anything like this in your original post or not, but
did you happen to sift some powdered sugar over them?

Carol

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Nexis" <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

way

> >> But ... is it possible to stop at just a couple? This is me you're
> >> talking to. :)
> >> --

> >LOL, well, it's not as hard as you'd think. I think it would be difficult

> >eat more than, say, 4 at any one time. Like I said, they're very

decadent!
> >I have to say, it was a really fun dessert to make too.

> Yeah, they do sound pretty rich. I'll have to give these a try. I'm not
> sure if you mentioned anything like this in your original post or not, but
> did you happen to sift some powdered sugar over them?
>
> Carol

Not on mine, but I did on the others. For me, I don't need the added sugar,
and plus, I had a bad experience with a powdered sugar dusted doughnut
once.... lol
If you do try them, let me know what you think.

kimberly

"Nexis" <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

>If you do try them, let me know what you think.

I sure will. They sound heavenly. :)

Carol

Nexis wrote:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> "Nexis" <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
>>
>>> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> LOL, well, it's not as hard as you'd think. I think it would be
>>> difficult to eat more than, say, 4 at any one time. Like I
>>> said, they're very decadent! I have to say, it was a really fun
>>> dessert to make too.

>> Yeah, they do sound pretty rich. I'll have to give these a try.
>> I'm not sure if you mentioned anything like this in your original
>> post or not, but did you happen to sift some powdered sugar over
>> them?
>>
>> Carol

> Not on mine, but I did on the others. For me, I don't need the
> added sugar, and plus, I had a bad experience with a powdered sugar
> dusted doughnut once.... lol If you do try them, let me know what
> you think.

Look below for a recipe for piadine. They're thin, crisp, flat, round
Italian pastries that you cook on a griddle. Put some Nutella on on
side of one and fold it in half and finish as recipe calls for. Or
spread Nutella on one whole side of one (stay 1/2" from the edge) and
top with another one. Press edges together and cook. Simply astonishing.

Piadine (pyah-dee-neh)
Makes 8 to 10, depending on how big you want them

This Italian flat bread is usually made with flour, salt, water and
lard and dry-fried on a griddle or cast iron pan. It is wonderful as a
sandwich base for cured meats and cheeses. It can also be made into a
dessert item by filling before cooking as described below.

3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons of lard or shortening
1/2 cup warm water
Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the flour and
add the lard and the water. Mix well and knead on a lightly floured
surface until smooth and elastic, between 5 and 10 minutes. Cover with
a floured towel for about 20 minutes. Knead again and divide into 8
to 10 equal pieces. Sprinkle with flour and roll out into a 6- to
8-inch wide circle, about 1/4 inch thick. Dock (pierce) with a fork
and cook on a dry griddle or cast iron frying pan for 2-3 minutes on
each side.

Test the pan with a few drops of cold water. It's ready when the water
skips and skitters across its surface. If the water just sits and
boils, the pan is not hot enough to use. When it's ready, drop a disk
of dough onto the griddle . When cooked, little charred bubbles form
on the dough, it's ready. They need to be checked fairly regularly as
the process goes quickly. When cooked, stack the piadine under a
towel or tuck them into a paper bag so they stay warm.

Piadine can be used as a base on which other foods are piled. In that
case, serve warm with cured meats and fresh cheeses. A salad piled on
it goes well with the chewy, dense texture. Or, brush lightly with
olive oil, sprinkle with fresh chopped rosemary and salt like a foccacia.

Alternatively, spread filling on one half of the piadina, fold over
the other half and cut into two wedges, or sandwich the filling
between two piadine and cut into quarters. Fillings can be chopped or
ground cheeses, meats like mortadella, grilled and thinly sliced
sausages or anything else that lends itself to being spread

Or you can spread a thin layer of Nutella or something like it on half
the uncooked piadina. Fold the other half over and crimp the edges.
Cook as usual. Careful eating it, the filling will be hot.

There's also a YEAST BREAD VARIANT. I do it in a food processor, but
it can be done with a mixer with bread hooks or by hand.
1 envelope active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 cup warm water (110?F)
3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
olive oil to finish
In a bowl, combine yeast, water and 2 tablespoons of the flour. Let
proof about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of flour, the oil, and salt, and
stir with a heavy spoon to make a dough. Turn out onto a floured
surface and knead until smooth, adding more flour if needed to make a
soft but still slightly moist dough. Shape into a ball, dust with
flour and cover with a floured towel to rise until doubled, about 45
minutes. Punch it down, knead, and cut into 8 equal pieces. Roll each
piece to a circle about 1/4-inch thick, 6 to 8 inches in diameter.
Dock the dough and cook on the griddle as above until golden with some
dark spots. Remove, brush lightly with the olive oil and repeat with
the remaining dough. Roll the bread around the toppings of choice and
serve warm

In a processor, I put the yeast, water and a bit of flour in the bowl,
run it for maybe 20 seconds. I let them work for 10 minutes or so to
get the yeast moving. Then dump everything in and run it for about 45
seconds. It forms a ball. The dough should be soft and slightly
sticky. I put it into sprayed bowl to rise. Cover with plastic wrap.
Finish as above.

In article <LbROd.34226$Yu.19346@fed1read01>, "Nexis" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Yesterday my sister in law was over and we were watching Everyday Italian
> (at least I think that's the name) and she was talking about filling
> gyoza/wonton skins with nutella as a quick and easy dessert. Sounded
> interesting, and I had the skins in the fridge already so....
> While she was preparing the oil I went into the fridge to get the skins and
> noticed the strawberries, all red and luscious looking, and
> thought..."yummmmm"

A creperie opened up not far from me, and they serve something like this
(Nutella and strawberries, crepe-sized, of course). Very good.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>