Nutrition book advice

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Burak Ilter, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Burak Ilter

    Burak Ilter Guest

    Hi all,
    I am looking for a good nutrition book for endurance athletes, preferably
    with sport-specific information. There are lots of books on Amazon but I
    hesitate in buying without seeing. Which book do you recommend?

    --
    Remove the obvious part to reply
    Burak

  2. Tri gear

    Tri gear Guest

    I recommend Maximum Performance by Michael J. Ross ISBN 1-931382-22-0 This
    book has it all looking at the subject from the sports medicine point of
    view
    "Burak Ilter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    > I am looking for a good nutrition book for endurance athletes, preferably
    > with sport-specific information. There are lots of books on Amazon but I
    > hesitate in buying without seeing. Which book do you recommend?
    >
    > --
    > Remove the obvious part to reply
    > Burak

    > Newsgroups

  3. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Chris Carmichael's book is pretty good (only because Kathy Zawadzki did most
    of the actual writing).

    Also these authors:
    Dan Benardot
    Monique Ryan
    Liz Applegate
    Susan Eberle

    "Burak Ilter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    > I am looking for a good nutrition book for endurance athletes, preferably
    > with sport-specific information. There are lots of books on Amazon but I
    > hesitate in buying without seeing. Which book do you recommend?
    >
    > --
    > Remove the obvious part to reply
    > Burak

    > Newsgroups

  4. Burak Ilter

    Burak Ilter Guest

    Thanks for the advice Sam. Some of them does not "look inside" feature so I
    looked to ones who had the feature to examine their contents. Seemed to me
    that Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes by Monique Ryan is a good book.
    But there is the following comment which made me think twice. If anybody has
    read the book, can you tell either the below comment is correct or not?

    "She recommends foods which are high in processed sugars and
    highly-processed grains for normal eating, but doesn't even attempt to
    explain or express contrary views about the value of these foods to an
    athlete.
    Bottom line: If you have been following sports nutrition at all, you will
    find nothing new or interesting here."

    Thanks for your help.

    --
    Remove the obvious part to reply
    Burak

  5. Sam

    Sam Guest

    It has been a while since I looked at Ryan's book.

    Processed grains are not evil.

    "Burak Ilter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks for the advice Sam. Some of them does not "look inside" feature so
    > looked to ones who had the feature to examine their contents. Seemed to me
    > that Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes by Monique Ryan is a good
    > book.
    > But there is the following comment which made me think twice. If anybody
    > has
    > read the book, can you tell either the below comment is correct or not?
    >
    > "She recommends foods which are high in processed sugars and
    > highly-processed grains for normal eating, but doesn't even attempt to
    > explain or express contrary views about the value of these foods to an
    > athlete.
    > Bottom line: If you have been following sports nutrition at all, you will
    > find nothing new or interesting here."
    >

    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > --
    > Remove the obvious part to reply
    > Burak

    > Newsgroups

  6. CFJ

    CFJ Guest

    Can anyone suggest good sources of information about nutrition advice
    that athletes used to get 10, 20, 50, 100, even 1000s of years ago? It
    seems to me that our ideas about what constitutes good nutrition for
    athletes change fairly often. I'm curious as to how extensive those
    changes have been historically.

  7. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I doubt you will find much 1000 years ago. There is some in the ancient
    Greeks, but it was odd like drinking blood, eating ox tails that sort of
    thing.

    "CFJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Can anyone suggest good sources of information about nutrition advice
    > that athletes used to get 10, 20, 50, 100, even 1000s of years ago? It
    > seems to me that our ideas about what constitutes good nutrition for
    > athletes change fairly often. I'm curious as to how extensive those
    > changes have been historically.

  8. "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in news:dnhgd.10299$KJ6.10154
    @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > I doubt you will find much 1000 years ago. There is some in the ancient
    > Greeks, but it was odd like drinking blood, eating ox tails that sort of
    > thing.

    Sounds like the Adkins diet.

    Tom

  9. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    I consider Monique Ryan one of the most credible sources on sports nutrition
    in the business.

    Andy Coggan

    news:[email protected]