Nutrition for touring

dannii

Apr 15, 2003
On May 25th I will be cycling from Brisbane to Sydney (approx.1100km) to raise money for Cancer research and the Mater Children's Hospital. I decided to do this after going through Breast Cancer myself at the age of 23. The tour was just to prove to myself that i was still a viable, fit individual as per normal. Along the way I will be stopping at many public schools to raise awareness in children of issues related to cancer and of course as a fundraising ploy.

I think of myself as a reasonably fit person and know that i can make the distance.....but does anyone have any advice on what and how much I should be eating during the day whilst riding...I am pretty confident with what I should be eating before and after riding, just not what i should/shouldn't be eating during actual riding hours.

Hope I'm not too late with this reply. I often surprise myself by just how much I eat on tours (just ask the guy at that pasta place in Lorne, Victoria). I'm not sure what sort of daily distances you are planning on riding, but count on eating more than usual during the tour. Something I've found very useful is to get a cooler bag from a camping store somewhere so you can keep fruit and salads reasonably fresh if you're a couple of days between towns. Also useful for shopping at roadside fruit stalls (very nice grapes at Stanthorpe if you're ever in the area).

BTW, congrats on whupping breast cancer.

Thanks Chris......fortunately for me there is only limited distances between towns......i will only be travelling avg. 100km's per day, as i have a lot of School talks etc along the way....and am still not in 100% physical condition as i was before becoming sick......so just taking it pretty easy.

thanks for the info, much appreciated :)

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned pre-hydration and hydration. I suppose that because you are in Australia, water goes without saying. I sure appreciate my camelback. Good luck on your tour!

Good 'sticky' Complex Carbs!

Oatmeal, Whole Wheat Cereals, Triscuits...

Stay away from refined flour and simple sugars. They'll put your blood sugar on a rollercoaster, and leave ya 'bonked'.

Originally posted by coolworx
Good 'sticky' Complex Carbs!

Oatmeal, Whole Wheat Cereals, Triscuits...

Stay away from refined flour and simple sugars. They'll put your blood sugar on a rollercoaster, and leave ya 'bonked'.

to birkshire reply....I have had my best training rides ( for my annual double century) in the birkshires..route 7 corridor..It is not only beautiful,but challenging,and filled with great replenishment stops along the way...My ride for anyone interested is from Litchfield, CT to Sorel, Canada. Route 63 & 7 ritght to St. Albans Vt...I usually make the double (all luck my way re; flats ,storms, headwinds ,broken chaines,etc..if all goes well I sleep in Vergennes or Ferrisburg Vt. the 1st nite. if bad luck usually anywhere between Arlington and Rutland ...Not bad for 59 years old,eh?

Originally posted by rbertrand
to birkshire reply....I have had my best training rides ( for my annual double century) in the birkshires..route 7 corridor..It is not only beautiful,but challenging,and filled with great replenishment stops along the way...My ride for anyone interested is from Litchfield, CT to Sorel, Canada. Route 63 & 7 ritght to St. Albans Vt...I usually make the double (all luck my way re; flats ,storms, headwinds ,broken chaines,etc..if all goes well I sleep in Vergennes or Ferrisburg Vt. the 1st nite. if bad luck usually anywhere between Arlington and Rutland ...Not bad for 59 years old,eh?

By the way ...all fluids only along the way that 1st day...but include power gels and power drinks along with protien sportds bars....next day you can pig out cause it's only 80 to 100 mi. next two days