Nuts to you!

maxine in ri

Guest
Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
etc.etc.

Did I miss an article in "Latest Thing"magazine or something about
adding nuts to one's diet?

I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
breadcrumbs or other carby things.

It's all so confusing!

maxine in ri

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:45:02 -0500, maxine in ri <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
>recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
>etc.etc.
>
>Did I miss an article in "Latest Thing"magazine or something about
>adding nuts to one's diet?
>
>I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
>breadcrumbs or other carby things.

Only a fanatical whacko would go carbless. But a lot of people manage
their diabetes and their weight by eating fewer calories than they normally
would. Nuts have far few carbohydrates than flour or graham crackers, etc.

Haven't heard anything about mixing with flour. {shrug}

Carol

maxine in ri wrote:
> Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
> recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
> etc.etc.
>
> Did I miss an article in "Latest Thing"magazine or something about
> adding nuts to one's diet?
>
> I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
> breadcrumbs or other carby things.
>
> It's all so confusing!
>
> maxine in ri

Shoots, it's been going on for at least 10 years that I know of! I've made
macadamia nut crusted chicken and I've used nuts in shrimp batter. It
really adds to the flavor AND presentation. The hardest thing is to chop up
the nuts finely enough in order to get them to stick. (I don't have a food
processor - unless you consider a hammer, a plastic baggie and a towel my
processor.)

It's quite tasty. Give it a try!

kili

wrote:

>I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
>breadcrumbs or other carby things.

Even if it's mixed with flour, adding the ground nuts means you're using
*less* flour, so it's still reducing the overall carbs.

And nuts are *good*. :) Plus what Damsel said. We eat low carb because
we're diabetic, and low carb helps us manage our diabetes. :)

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:24:49 GMT, "kilikini"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>maxine in ri wrote:
>> Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
>> recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
>> etc.etc.
>>
>> Did I miss an article in "Latest Thing"magazine or something about
>> adding nuts to one's diet?
>>
>> I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
>> breadcrumbs or other carby things.
>>
>> It's all so confusing!
>>
>> maxine in ri

>Shoots, it's been going on for at least 10 years that I know of! I've made
>macadamia nut crusted chicken and I've used nuts in shrimp batter. It
>really adds to the flavor AND presentation. The hardest thing is to chop up
>the nuts finely enough in order to get them to stick. (I don't have a food
>processor - unless you consider a hammer, a plastic baggie and a towel my
>processor.)
>
>It's quite tasty. Give it a try!

Yeah, I coated catish fillets with ground pecans at last a decade ago,
myself.

Kili, you might look into one of those inexpensive mini choppers.
They have many uses, don't take up a lot of space, and cost very
little.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

maxine in ri wrote:
> Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
> recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
> etc.etc.
>
> Did I miss an article in "Latest Thing"magazine or something about
> adding nuts to one's diet?
>
> I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
> breadcrumbs or other carby things.
>
> It's all so confusing!
>
> maxine in ri

I'm not carb-less. Been making battered walnut chicken strips for 25 years.
Delicious but very rich!

Jill

> I'm not carb-less. Been making battered walnut chicken strips for 25
> years.
> Delicious but very rich!

I'm so annoyed, I used to get nut coated chicken strips from the cafeteria
at
work, of all places. They were fabulous. Don't get me started on the
sauerbraten, that's another story. So, girl, you got a recipe for nut
coated
chicken strips, I know I know, I get the general idea, but ... maybe you
have
a twist? I cannot remember what kind of nut it was ... I hope it was
walnuts.
Ah!!! I sure did love those things.

(laugh) nancy

One time on Usenet, "kilikini" <[email protected]> said:

> The hardest thing is to chop up
> the nuts finely enough in order to get them to stick. (I don't have a food
> processor - unless you consider a hammer, a plastic baggie and a towel my
> processor.)

I use an old nut grinder that I got from Mom; looks a lot like this
one on eBay, only it's aqua rather than harvest gold:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.
dll?ViewItem&category=14903&item=6153454177

or

http://tinyurl.com/5razh

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is

Nancy Young wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I'm not carb-less. Been making battered walnut chicken strips for 25
>> years.
>> Delicious but very rich!

> I'm so annoyed, I used to get nut coated chicken strips from the
> cafeteria at
> work, of all places. They were fabulous. Don't get me started on the
> sauerbraten, that's another story. So, girl, you got a recipe for nut
> coated
> chicken strips, I know I know, I get the general idea, but ... maybe
> you have
> a twist? I cannot remember what kind of nut it was ... I hope it was
> walnuts.
> Ah!!! I sure did love those things.
>
> (laugh) nancy

Walnut-Sesame Chicken Strips

2 whole chicken breasts
1 c. finely chopped walnuts
1 c. sesame seeds
2 egg whites
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. cornstarch
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. dry sherry
4 c. vegetable oil

Partially freeze the chicken about 30 minutes to make it easier to slice.
Slice into very thin strips. In a pie plate, combine walnuts with sesame
seeds. Combine egg whites, cornstarch and milk, salt and sugar to make a
stiff batter. Stir in sherry to blend well. Dip the chicken strips in the
batter then roll in the nut/sesame seed mixture to coat. Place on a baking
sheet in a single layer until all are done. Heat oil in a deep fryer or wok
to 300F degrees. Fry chicken strips in batches, 4 to 5 minutes, until
golden brown.

Gal Called J.J. wrote:
> One time on Usenet, "kilikini" <[email protected]> said:
>
>> The hardest thing is to chop up
>> the nuts finely enough in order to get them to stick. (I don't have
>> a food processor - unless you consider a hammer, a plastic baggie
>> and a towel my processor.)

> I use an old nut grinder that I got from Mom; looks a lot like this
> one on eBay, only it's aqua rather than harvest gold:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.
> dll?ViewItem&category=14903&item=6153454177
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5razh

You can still buy those at places like Target or WalMart for a couple of
bucks.

Jill

wrote:

>Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
>recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
>etc.etc.

This inspired me last night. :) I spiced up some whole wheat flour,
whipped up some eggs and cream, and made a "breading" by chopping up
walnuts (not cashews! ;D) in the processor and mixing them with a little
bit of bread crumbs I had left over.

Then I sliced in half and hammered out my center cut pork "chops", dredged
'em in flour, egg, then "breading" and baked them on a greased cookie sheet
for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. The last five minutes of that I tossed
shredded "mexican" cheese (it's just four different cheese shredded that I
buy at Costco in big bags). My husband thought it was great. He dipped his
into some chipotle-chocolate sauce we bought last shopping trip. I just ate
mine the way they came out of the oven.

Next time I'd spice up the breading and the flour more. They were a little
bland, but the "breading" was delightful. :) We're having leftovers for
lunch today.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,

<snip>
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:45:02 -0500, maxine in ri

<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
> >recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with

pecans,
> >etc.etc.

> This inspired me last night. :) I spiced up some whole wheat flour,
> whipped up some eggs and cream, and made a "breading" by chopping up
> walnuts (not cashews! ;D) in the processor and mixing them with a

little
> bit of bread crumbs I had left over.

Think thats weird, try grinding up some wasabi peas, and rolling some
catfish in it before sauteeing in a little oil..

It was a treat!

Pierre

maxine in ri wrote:

> Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
> recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
> etc.etc.
>
> Did I miss an article in "Latest Thing"magazine or something about
> adding nuts to one's diet?
>
> I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
> breadcrumbs or other carby things.
>
> It's all so confusing!
>
> maxine in ri

I'm eating more walnuts these days. I understand
that they contain Omega 3 fats that are supposedly
so good for you. I don't know if any other nuts
contain it? I'm eating about 10 half walnuts a day
as a snack, when I remember to.
Goomba