Nuts to you!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by maxine in ri, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
    recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
    etc.etc.

    Did I miss an article in "Latest Thing"magazine or something about
    adding nuts to one's diet?

    I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
    breadcrumbs or other carby things.

    It's all so confusing!

    maxine in ri

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:45:02 -0500, maxine in ri <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
    >recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
    >etc.etc.
    >
    >Did I miss an article in "Latest Thing"magazine or something about
    >adding nuts to one's diet?
    >
    >I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
    >breadcrumbs or other carby things.

    Only a fanatical whacko would go carbless. But a lot of people manage
    their diabetes and their weight by eating fewer calories than they normally
    would. Nuts have far few carbohydrates than flour or graham crackers, etc.

    Haven't heard anything about mixing with flour. {shrug}

    Carol

  3. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    maxine in ri wrote:
    > Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
    > recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
    > etc.etc.
    >
    > Did I miss an article in "Latest Thing"magazine or something about
    > adding nuts to one's diet?
    >
    > I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
    > breadcrumbs or other carby things.
    >
    > It's all so confusing!
    >
    > maxine in ri

    Shoots, it's been going on for at least 10 years that I know of! I've made
    macadamia nut crusted chicken and I've used nuts in shrimp batter. It
    really adds to the flavor AND presentation. The hardest thing is to chop up
    the nuts finely enough in order to get them to stick. (I don't have a food
    processor - unless you consider a hammer, a plastic baggie and a towel my
    processor.)

    It's quite tasty. Give it a try!

    kili

  4. On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:45:02 -0500, maxine in ri <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
    >breadcrumbs or other carby things.

    Even if it's mixed with flour, adding the ground nuts means you're using
    *less* flour, so it's still reducing the overall carbs.

    And nuts are *good*. :) Plus what Damsel said. We eat low carb because
    we're diabetic, and low carb helps us manage our diabetes. :)

    --
    Siobhan Perricone
    Humans wrote the bible,

  5. Michael Odom

    Michael Odom Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:24:49 GMT, "kilikini"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >maxine in ri wrote:
    >> Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
    >> recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
    >> etc.etc.
    >>
    >> Did I miss an article in "Latest Thing"magazine or something about
    >> adding nuts to one's diet?
    >>
    >> I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
    >> breadcrumbs or other carby things.
    >>
    >> It's all so confusing!
    >>
    >> maxine in ri

    >Shoots, it's been going on for at least 10 years that I know of! I've made
    >macadamia nut crusted chicken and I've used nuts in shrimp batter. It
    >really adds to the flavor AND presentation. The hardest thing is to chop up
    >the nuts finely enough in order to get them to stick. (I don't have a food
    >processor - unless you consider a hammer, a plastic baggie and a towel my
    >processor.)
    >
    >It's quite tasty. Give it a try!

    Yeah, I coated catish fillets with ground pecans at last a decade ago,
    myself.

    Kili, you might look into one of those inexpensive mini choppers.
    They have many uses, don't take up a lot of space, and cost very
    little.

    modom

    "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
    -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

  6. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    maxine in ri wrote:
    > Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
    > recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
    > etc.etc.
    >
    > Did I miss an article in "Latest Thing"magazine or something about
    > adding nuts to one's diet?
    >
    > I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
    > breadcrumbs or other carby things.
    >
    > It's all so confusing!
    >
    > maxine in ri

    I'm not carb-less. Been making battered walnut chicken strips for 25 years.
    Delicious but very rich!

    Jill

  7. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    > I'm not carb-less. Been making battered walnut chicken strips for 25
    > years.
    > Delicious but very rich!

    I'm so annoyed, I used to get nut coated chicken strips from the cafeteria
    at
    work, of all places. They were fabulous. Don't get me started on the
    sauerbraten, that's another story. So, girl, you got a recipe for nut
    coated
    chicken strips, I know I know, I get the general idea, but ... maybe you
    have
    a twist? I cannot remember what kind of nut it was ... I hope it was
    walnuts.
    Ah!!! I sure did love those things.

    (laugh) nancy

  8. One time on Usenet, "kilikini" <[email protected]> said:

    > The hardest thing is to chop up
    > the nuts finely enough in order to get them to stick. (I don't have a food
    > processor - unless you consider a hammer, a plastic baggie and a towel my
    > processor.)

    I use an old nut grinder that I got from Mom; looks a lot like this
    one on eBay, only it's aqua rather than harvest gold:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.
    dll?ViewItem&category=14903&item=6153454177

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/5razh

    --
    J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
    "You still haven't explained why the pool is

  9. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> I'm not carb-less. Been making battered walnut chicken strips for 25
    >> years.
    >> Delicious but very rich!

    > I'm so annoyed, I used to get nut coated chicken strips from the
    > cafeteria at
    > work, of all places. They were fabulous. Don't get me started on the
    > sauerbraten, that's another story. So, girl, you got a recipe for nut
    > coated
    > chicken strips, I know I know, I get the general idea, but ... maybe
    > you have
    > a twist? I cannot remember what kind of nut it was ... I hope it was
    > walnuts.
    > Ah!!! I sure did love those things.
    >
    > (laugh) nancy

    Walnut-Sesame Chicken Strips

    2 whole chicken breasts
    1 c. finely chopped walnuts
    1 c. sesame seeds
    2 egg whites
    1/4 c. milk
    1/4 c. cornstarch
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. sugar
    2 Tbs. dry sherry
    4 c. vegetable oil

    Partially freeze the chicken about 30 minutes to make it easier to slice.
    Slice into very thin strips. In a pie plate, combine walnuts with sesame
    seeds. Combine egg whites, cornstarch and milk, salt and sugar to make a
    stiff batter. Stir in sherry to blend well. Dip the chicken strips in the
    batter then roll in the nut/sesame seed mixture to coat. Place on a baking
    sheet in a single layer until all are done. Heat oil in a deep fryer or wok
    to 300F degrees. Fry chicken strips in batches, 4 to 5 minutes, until
    golden brown.

  10. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Gal Called J.J. wrote:
    > One time on Usenet, "kilikini" <[email protected]> said:
    >
    >> The hardest thing is to chop up
    >> the nuts finely enough in order to get them to stick. (I don't have
    >> a food processor - unless you consider a hammer, a plastic baggie
    >> and a towel my processor.)

    > I use an old nut grinder that I got from Mom; looks a lot like this
    > one on eBay, only it's aqua rather than harvest gold:
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.
    > dll?ViewItem&category=14903&item=6153454177
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/5razh

    You can still buy those at places like Target or WalMart for a couple of
    bucks.

    Jill

  11. On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:45:02 -0500, maxine in ri <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
    >recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
    >etc.etc.

    This inspired me last night. :) I spiced up some whole wheat flour,
    whipped up some eggs and cream, and made a "breading" by chopping up
    walnuts (not cashews! ;D) in the processor and mixing them with a little
    bit of bread crumbs I had left over.

    Then I sliced in half and hammered out my center cut pork "chops", dredged
    'em in flour, egg, then "breading" and baked them on a greased cookie sheet
    for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. The last five minutes of that I tossed
    shredded "mexican" cheese (it's just four different cheese shredded that I
    buy at Costco in big bags). My husband thought it was great. He dipped his
    into some chipotle-chocolate sauce we bought last shopping trip. I just ate
    mine the way they came out of the oven.

    Next time I'd spice up the breading and the flour more. They were a little
    bland, but the "breading" was delightful. :) We're having leftovers for
    lunch today.

    --
    Siobhan Perricone
    Humans wrote the bible,

  12. Pierre

    Pierre Guest

    <snip>
    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:45:02 -0500, maxine in ri

    <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
    > >recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with

    pecans,
    > >etc.etc.

    > This inspired me last night. :) I spiced up some whole wheat flour,
    > whipped up some eggs and cream, and made a "breading" by chopping up
    > walnuts (not cashews! ;D) in the processor and mixing them with a

    little
    > bit of bread crumbs I had left over.

    Think thats weird, try grinding up some wasabi peas, and rolling some
    catfish in it before sauteeing in a little oil..

    It was a treat!

    Pierre

  13. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    maxine in ri wrote:

    > Suddenly, everywhere I look people are using ground-up nuts in
    > recipes: as a coating for fried chicken, coating salmon with pecans,
    > etc.etc.
    >
    > Did I miss an article in "Latest Thing"magazine or something about
    > adding nuts to one's diet?
    >
    > I expect it from the carbless crowd, but now it's mixed with flour or
    > breadcrumbs or other carby things.
    >
    > It's all so confusing!
    >
    > maxine in ri

    I'm eating more walnuts these days. I understand
    that they contain Omega 3 fats that are supposedly
    so good for you. I don't know if any other nuts
    contain it? I'm eating about 10 half walnuts a day
    as a snack, when I remember to.
    Goomba