Nutted to Recessed...?

KyleBH

Guest
I'm sure this has been covered, but a discussion from 2005 that veered
off into rolled vs. cut threads was fouling up my google search on the
topic.

Anyways, I have a front brake with recessed mounting hardware that I
need to mount on a frame intended for a nutted brake. When inserted
all the way, about 1/8" of bolt protrudes through the fork crown,
almost enough to put on a nut but not quite, and no room for washers.
Can I simply widen the hole in the rear of the fork crown to fit the
recessed nut? I'll then have to either cut the pivot bolt or add some
washers to the front in order to bring the end of the bolt inside the
fork crown.

If this is the best approach, what size hole does that need to be?

Thanks,

Kyle

On Jun 14, 6:26 pm, KyleBH <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm sure this has been covered, but a discussion from 2005 that veered
> off into rolled vs. cut threads was fouling up my google search on the
> topic.
>
> Anyways, I have a front brake with recessed mounting hardware that I
> need to mount on a frame intended for a nutted brake.  When inserted
> all the way, about 1/8" of bolt protrudes through the fork crown,
> almost enough to put on a nut but not quite, and no room for washers.
> Can I simply widen the hole in the rear of the fork crown to fit the
> recessed nut? I'll then have to either cut the pivot bolt or add some
> washers to the front in order to bring the end of the bolt inside the
> fork crown.
>
> If this is the best approach, what size hole does that need to be?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kyle

Yes, drill it larger, do that all the time. Add some washers to the
front. Not sure of the size, measure a brake but and drill the same
size.

On Jun 15, 8:16 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jun 14, 6:26 pm, KyleBH <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I'm sure this has been covered, but a discussion from 2005 that veered
> > off into rolled vs. cut threads was fouling up my google search on the
> > topic.

> > Anyways, I have a front brake with recessed mounting hardware that I
> > need to mount on a frame intended for a nutted brake. When inserted
> > all the way, about 1/8" of bolt protrudes through the fork crown,
> > almost enough to put on a nut but not quite, and no room for washers.
> > Can I simply widen the hole in the rear of the fork crown to fit the
> > recessed nut? I'll then have to either cut the pivot bolt or add some
> > washers to the front in order to bring the end of the bolt inside the
> > fork crown.

> > If this is the best approach, what size hole does that need to be?

> > Thanks,

> > Kyle

> Yes, drill it larger, do that all the time. Add some washers to the
> front. Not sure of the size, measure a brake but and drill the same
> size.

Or use the rear brake caliper ,with its short post instead, hiding the
nut inside the fork. Takes no more time than the suggested
alternative. When is the next time you will remove the caliper?
The hole in the rear is now free for other uses.

Harry Travis
Washington, DC USA

KyleBH wrote:
> I'm sure this has been covered, but a discussion from 2005 that veered
> off into rolled vs. cut threads was fouling up my google search on the
> topic.
>
> Anyways, I have a front brake with recessed mounting hardware that I
> need to mount on a frame intended for a nutted brake. When inserted
> all the way, about 1/8" of bolt protrudes through the fork crown,
> almost enough to put on a nut but not quite, and no room for washers.
> Can I simply widen the hole in the rear of the fork crown to fit the
> recessed nut? I'll then have to either cut the pivot bolt or add some
> washers to the front in order to bring the end of the bolt inside the
> fork crown.
>
> If this is the best approach, what size hole does that need to be?

Yes drill the fork. From 6mm, about 1/4 of an inch, to 8mm or roughly
5/16 of an inch.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>